Anyone tried modding a shock?

I bent mine to get better clearance around the rear spring buckets. :sneaky:

IMG_6916[1].jpg

I haven't yet, but I plan on tearing apart some Fox Performance series IFP's and playing with valving. I bought them used...They are JL 3.5" lift shocks. IIRC they are about 10.5" for the front and 11.5" for the rear. I plan, at the very least, to swap the valves from front to rear, so I can install the 10.5" shocks on the rear of my TJ and the 11.5" shocks on the front. I'll probably try to go WAY lighter for the rear too, as the rear of a TJ is very light. Finally, I plan to install some sort of flutter stack, to gain some small event compliance.

I haven't yet, but I plan on tearing apart some Fox Performance series IFP's and playing with valving. I bought them used...They are JL 3.5" lift shocks. IIRC they are about 10.5" for the front and 11.5" for the rear. I plan, at the very least, to swap the valves from front to rear, so I can install the 10.5" shocks on the rear of my TJ and the 11.5" shocks on the front. I'll probably try to go WAY lighter for the rear too, as the rear of a TJ is very light. Finally, I plan to install some sort of flutter stack, to gain some small event compliance.

Good on you sounds like a fun project. Don’t listen to the naysayers.

Reactions: Mike_H
Good on you sounds like a fun project. Don’t listen to the naysayers.

The fox is a shock designed for disassembling and tuning.
The Rancho is welded and not designed for servicing. Hopefully you find a way to do what you’re hoping to accomplish. I’m just not sure the juice is worth the squeeze in this case.

The fox is a shock designed for disassembling and tuning.
The Rancho is welded and not designed for servicing. Hopefully you find a way to do what you’re hoping to accomplish. I’m just not sure the juice is worth the squeeze in this case
I know this silly 😂

Reactions: Gollywomper
Oh, I fully expect to hear about why I’m “wasting my time”. But whatever…one guys waste of time is another’s education
I’ve learned a lot whether I failed or not from a lot of times when someone told me “it wasn’t possible” I’ve also earned a living doing it.

Reactions: Mike_H