Anyone use Seafoam?

If my TJ sat for an extended period of time, like enough to allow the fuel to start to turn to varnish, I'd run Seafoam or other similar product. I have to run that stuff through my lawnmower if it sits too long between uses, like during the winter. But for a Jeep that gets driven regularly, I wouldn't waste my $$$ on Seafoam or any other fuel additives. The EPA has required since the late 80's that all US gasolines have sufficient fuel system cleaning additives to keep the injectors etc. clean. It's a good thing too because before that, they'd clog on the old formulations. With the current formulations? Clogged fuel lines, injectors, etc. are pretty much a thing of the past here in the US for vehicles that are driven regularly.

I used to have a bunch of new Jeep and truck dealerships as clients. I'd always find a mechanic or two to yak with... ha, imagine that lol. Anyway I made it a point to ask them how many clogged fuel injector systems they ever truly saw. The newer mechanics would always, with a bit of prodding to get to the truth, say 'never'. The old mechanics all generally said it had been years since they had seen one. Which goes along with when the EPA started requiring fuel system cleaning additives in all US manufactured gasolines.

I used to use fuel injection system additives, they used to be required. Now? Nope... at least not if the Jeep is driven regularly enough so the gasoline doesn't turn bad.

So what am I supposed to do with the three cases of Slick 50 that I picked up at a garage sale a few years ago?

F53882B8-79C6-4ED1-A1F9-3BE62876335E.gif

My main concern isn't with injectors or really any engine issue. I am trying to reduce the damage that crap ethanol does to "rubber" fuel lines, O rings, etc. I have a 1948 International tractor that ran on distillate early in life, then gasoline. Never had so much as a drop of fuel leak from anywhere. Then I added 5 gal of this crap ethanol gas and in less than an hour fuel was leaking, not seeping, leaking from the gasket that seals the top and bottom half of the carb. Shortly it started to drop out the bottom fuel bowl vent, then the connections to the metal fuel lines. But wait, there's more. I had to cut the metal fuel line to put a shut off valve in. The tractor was factory built. No engine work, no carb work, not anything since the tractor was made.(that came near the fuel. The brakes and seat cover had been replaced.) When I went to use the tractor the next day I was out of fuel because that crap ethanol had caused a leak at the fuel bowl where I screws into the fuel tank. 1 day. EVERYTHING that the shit ethanol touched now leaks. The Seafoam now gets added to every tank of fuel and my other tractors have been leak free from the fuel.

My main concern isn't with injectors or really any engine issue. I am trying to reduce the damage that crap ethanol does to "rubber" fuel lines, O rings, etc. I have a 1948 International tractor that ran on distillate early in life, then gasoline. Never had so much as a drop of fuel leak from anywhere. Then I added 5 gal of this crap ethanol gas and in less than an hour fuel was leaking, not seeping, leaking from the gasket that seals the top and bottom half of the carb. Shortly it started to drop out the bottom fuel bowl vent, then the connections to the metal fuel lines. But wait, there's more. I had to cut the metal fuel line to put a shut off valve in. The tractor was factory built. No engine work, no carb work, not anything since the tractor was made.(that came near the fuel. The brakes and seat cover had been replaced.) When I went to use the tractor the next day I was out of fuel because that crap ethanol had caused a leak at the fuel bowl where I screws into the fuel tank. 1 day. EVERYTHING that the shit ethanol touched now leaks. The Seafoam now gets added to every tank of fuel and my other tractors have been leak free from the fuel.
Oh yes that shit ethanol.

Don't forget your 1948 Farmall needs lead to keep from burning up the valves.

Or when it does, just blame the ethanol!

Sea foam absolutely works. I’ve used a bore scope before and after use on many engines and although slight I’ve seen improvement on each. Does your tj need it? Most likely not. Is it gonna hurt? Nope. Will it maybe do some good? Quite possible!

Reactions: Fixer6
When I bought my used 96 F150 that sat for over a year, I drove it home and made it fine but it just ran a tad rough and didn't accelerate smooth.. did a basic tune-up, ran a can of Seafood in each tank and blasted down the the beach and back for some high RPM driving and it's been smooth ever since as my daily driver.

Seafoam, not Seafood. Damn autocorrect. but i'm leaving it because it's funny.

Your 48 Farmall does NOT need lead. The lower compression ratio and slower rpms dont cause nearly the valve to valve seat impact not temprature. Now, does the ethanol act as a solvent and cause rubber to degrade? That is a yes. Does it provide less energy than straight gasoline? That is a yes. Is it a huge windfall for certain producers? That is a yes. Does it burn cleaner than straight gasoline? That would be a yes too. It isn't the demon many claim it to be, but does using the Seafoamhelp alleviate some of its issues? That would be a yes. So dont ridicule me because I use a product that works for me.

Reactions: skrelnik
Your 48 Farmall does NOT need lead. The lower compression ratio and slower rpms dont cause nearly the valve to valve seat impact not temprature. Now, does the ethanol act as a solvent and cause rubber to degrade? That is a yes. Does it provide less energy than straight gasoline? That is a yes. Is it a huge windfall for certain producers? That is a yes. Does it burn cleaner than straight gasoline? That would be a yes too. It isn't the demon many claim it to be, but does using the Seafoamhelp alleviate some of its issues? That would be a yes. So dont ridicule me because I use a product that works for me.
I came into this thread to chime in on seafoam. I've used it for years. Didn't expect another ethanol bashing thread.

When someone goes on a rant about the ethanol in gasoline ruining seals and plastics it gets my goat man😁!

Most of the damage done to the polys is from cheap aromatics thrown in to make gasoline function.

Regarding tetraethyl lead that was eliminated from the supply chain years ago it did indeed lubricate the valves and seats. Yes I had a MM tractor that burned the valves and did a valve job with hardened ones to eliminate the problem.

High or low compression you should use a lead substitute in those vintage motors or risk burning the valves and seats.

Hoping I can move from perceived ridicule mode to education mode....

To add @Goatman you can run over to your local general aviation airport and get 100LL avgas which doesn't go bad and has lead in it. And no ethanol!

To add @Goatman you can run over to your local general aviation airport and get 100LL avgas which doesn't go bad and has lead in it. And no ethanol!
Yep just drive out onto the tarmac of your local airport next to the runway, if you know the gate code since airports had to tighten security, and see how far you get trying to fit the large diameter aircraft size nozzle into the small size opening of a Jeep's filler neck.

Yep just drive out onto the tarmac of your local airport next to the runway, if you know the gate code since airports had to tighten security, and see how far you get trying to fit the large diameter aircraft size nozzle into the small size opening of a Jeep's filler neck.
Okay then. Must be different by you Jer?
We go to our local airport. If need be talk to the FBO and have them fill a 5 gallon can or use the self serve pump.

TO USE IN THE 1948 FARMALL
not the jeep designed to run on no lead.

Reactions: Ericict
Way back in the day, my uncle taught me a lot about old cars and mechanic stuff. He swore by Seafoam and would occasionally use it, but only by pouring it straight into the carb while revving the motor to keep it running. He said it was the best way to keep the intake valves cleaned. I carried on the tradition in my 1972 Ford truck and 1981 Z28 Camaro and all my dirt track cars and tore down lots of those engines and always had clean intake valves. Was it the Seafoam? Who knows... Maybe it did absolutely nothing lol, but it didn’t seem to hurt anything.

Reactions: Mikester86
Anyone use Seafoam. I’ve read a lot of info, some good some bad.
I just did this, 4 ounces in my oil,. The rest in the tank and sea foam spray down the throttle.

Followed the directions and when I got back from the ride most of my about engine ticking was gone..

Few days later I started it to move it and seems the ticking was loud again. But I haven't actually driven it since.

$20 and I felt good about it.. I've paid allot more to feel good in the past

Pardon me, my jentle flower, for saying truthfully that I use Seafoam to help with the effects of that very very scary "E" word. If you think that "E" does no harm to anything then why is it one of the most common solvents in use today? Want to put the rearview mirror back on? Clean it first with "E". Want to clean up your dry erase board? Clean it with "E". Want to make carberators leak on MY '48? Add in some "E". My response was not a bashing of "E", because if it were I could have easily written a thousand word "e"ssay about it. But no, I said how I use Seafoam for various reasons. Unless the "E" was added to diesel too. If you want to ask a question and only get answers that you approve of then have your mommy proof read everything first for you. Otherwise put your big boy pants on and grow up.

Seafoam is great for 2 strokes, but like everyone else kind of a maybe for 4 strokes and everything else.
As for Marvel Mystery Oil, I had a friend who used 1 quart at every oil change on a Nissan truck and with over 200,000 miles you could look into the valve cover and it was clean as a whistle.

Wow!
I'm going to "follow you @Goatman" these pearls of wisdom are just too good to miss!
Golly farmergreg, only took you a week for that clever jab. Must have been at the bank cashing your ethanol kickback check. Why, anyone that holds a different opinion than yours is in for it. Not sure how you got to be so high and mighty, but congrats to you for being the person who thinks he is always right. Cheers!🍺

Golly farmergreg, only took you a week for that clever jab. Must have been at the bank cashing your ethanol kickback check. Why, anyone that holds a different opinion than yours is in for it. Not sure how you got to be so high and mighty, but congrats to you for being the person who thinks he is always right. Cheers!🍺
Sorry took a weeks vacation I'll try to step up my game!

Sorry took a weeks vacation I'll try to step up my game!
Seriously? I think we both have better things to do than this. I had a bad experience with the ethanol in the gas. Obviously you haven't. My point was the seafoam has been added to every tank of fuel and weather real or just luck I haven't had the same problem since. 🍺