Washington Anyone wheeling this weekend?

My son has been wanting to go out also, too bad my jeeps not ready, gonna be doing some wrenching on it this weekend though
I ended up going to Walker Valley. Nice trails. I’m new to the PNW and heard snow wheeling is a thing out here. Might try it out when more powder drops. Did you finish up what your working on?

I ended up going to Walker Valley. Nice trails. I’m new to the PNW and heard snow wheeling is a thing out here. Might try it out when more powder drops. Did you finish up what your working on?

Make sure you know what roads you are going to go out on and don't go alone. Once it snows I know we use to hit the forest service roads up off I-90. If you come over to east of Snoqualmie summit most of the roads are closed to wheeled traffic for snowmobiles. And it's a hefty fine for going up a seasonally closed road.

Most of it,

snow wheeling is a blast, a few of us in my jeepin group have kids so we like to take them out with us for those nowadays, it turns into more of a kid snow play day so that’s always a lot of fun. Back before Evans creek would shut down for the winter that place was a great place to snow wheel. The only time the trails were challenging is with a couple feet on the ground.

Most of it,

snow wheeling is a blast, a few of us in my jeepin group have kids so we like to take them out with us for those nowadays, it turns into more of a kid snow play day so that’s always a lot of fun. Back before Evans creek would shut down for the winter that place was a great place to snow wheel. The only time the trails were challenging is with a couple feet on the ground.

Last time I was up at Evans creek would have been around 2002. Can't wait to go explore it again along with Elbe Hill.

Reactions: Mumblewood
Timber tamers club does some cool snow runs. It's nice to be with experienced people when going high with deep snow and slick roads. There's a lot of sketchy times where the tire tracks are luge tracks that I don't love.

My kids and 4 grandboys have been hounding me to take them to some snow to play. We normally head to Capitol Forest, find a dead-end forest road, cook a few hotdogs and let the boys wear themselves out. No snow there at this time, at least that I'm aware of, so I've been trying to find the nearest place to let them play, and have a little fun in the Jeep too.
I've been living here in Lacey since retiring from the Army, and have done some elk and deer hunting around Packwood and St. Helens area, but I'm not real familiar with some of these other places you guys mentioned. Not looking to get in any hairy situations, just a fun day playing in the snow with the family.

If you have any suggestions, or service road names, etc., let me know. Thanks.

My kids and 4 grandboys have been hounding me to take them to some snow to play. We normally head to Capitol Forest, find a dead-end forest road, cook a few hotdogs and let the boys wear themselves out. No snow there at this time, at least that I'm aware of, so I've been trying to find the nearest place to let them play, and have a little fun in the Jeep too.
I've been living here in Lacey since retiring from the Army, and have done some elk and deer hunting around Packwood and St. Helens area, but I'm not real familiar with some of these other places you guys mentioned. Not looking to get in any hairy situations, just a fun day playing in the snow with the family.

Since you are in Lacy you sort of have 3 choices.
1) Hwy 12 towards White Pass is one option but I can't tell you any specific FS roads to get off on but there are many along the way.

2) I-90 Head towards Snoqualmie Pass and then take one of the exits east of exit #34. Or you can continue up to Snoqualmie Pass ski area and they have a tubing area there. You'd have to check their website to see if they are open and what their hours are.

3) Hwy 410 going toward Chinook Pass (Which is Closed) and either stop at the gate if there is parking of a FS road below where it's closed.

Reactions: DaYooperTransplant

Sorry but this has nothing to do with your recent post. Just trying to connect with others that have a "97 Sport

Snoqualimie tubing is open, it is pricey though. I just went last weekend. We went when all that snow dropped at the passes and it shut down. I was a bit pissed having to drive the tundra and not the Jeep. If your looking for a cheaper option Hyak Sno park should be open which is like 5 mins down the road.

Snoqualimie tubing is open, it is pricey though. I just went last weekend. We went when all that snow dropped at the passes and it shut down. I was a bit pissed having to drive the tundra and not the Jeep. If your looking for a cheaper option Hyak Sno park should be open which is like 5 mins down the road.
Pricey? You have to "pay" to go play in the snow up there?

Are you familiar with any of the areas I talked about?
Are you familiar with any of the areas I talked about?
Fairly familiar with two of them, but not so much on the 410. Been that way in the summer on the bikes, but wasn't paying attention at the time for FS roads. I may head that way this weekend in the JL and do a little recon. I get a little antsy around a lot of people so I stay away from the sno-parks and pay to play areas. I've been stationed at Ft. Lewis several times and when the kids were little we would go to Rainer, Snoqualmie, Crystal etc., back in the 90's, and really enjoyed it. But a lot has changed in 30 years.

We like to sit around a fire, roast a dog or two, wash it down with a beverage of choice, let the kids practice their fort-building skills, let the dogs run, and when possible teach the grandboys some safe gun handling lessons. Then break camp and normally leave with a large trash bag of other people's trash that they so graciously dumped there.

If I find any decent places off 410, I will report back and share. Thanks again, and stay safe.

I lived in Snohomish when I joined the Army back in 1978. Only got stationed at F. Lewis once and that was in 1983-84.

Yes things have changed around here A LOT over the past 20-30 years that is for sure. There are tons of road off Hwy 410 but I don't know where they close the hwy for the winter on the west side. I use to go up to where they closed it on the east side.

Yes it's a great ride on two wheels and I can understand not seeing the FS roads as there is a lot of other things to look at. And not liking crowds seems to be a by product for a lot of us former military types.

I was in Baumholder Germany 83-86, and then came here. Was with the 9th Infantry Division. In my 21 years, the only place I was ever stationed stateside was Ft. Lewis. 86-89, 92-95, 98-00 and 01-04. I didn't buy my first house until 2003. If I would have known I was going to be here so often I would have bought several houses. Ha, hindsight.

Reactions: Wildman