Washington Anyone wheeling this weekend?

I was in Baumholder Germany 83-86, and then came here. Was with the 9th Infantry Division. In my 21 years, the only place I was ever stationed stateside was Ft. Lewis. 86-89, 92-95, 98-00 and 01-04. I didn't buy my first house until 2003. If I would have known I was going to be here so often I would have bought several houses. Ha, hindsight.

That's funny I was in Baumholder from Nov 84-Nov 87. But I was in a NATO unit so I worked out at the Germany base out the back gate. My son was born at Hahn Air Base in 85. I was only at Ft Lewis 11 months before I got shipped back to Germany.
Got out in Aug 92 during the force reduction. Then joined the NG in Nov 94. Got activated to go to Iraq in 2003.

Interesting. I think I remember that place, was it Nahbollenbach? Or Aulenbach? Something like that. One of the places had an equipment storage site. CEGE is what it was called if my memory is correct. I seem to remember meeting a Major once who said he worked there. We were always told that the place maintained, and had ready, equipment that could be issued out during a conflict or emergency. Think they used it for Reforger (sp)

Our son was born in Landstuhl in 84. We were also in Kitzingen for 3 years and Hanau 3+ years. Little over ten years there. We loved it. I still keep in contact with several of the guys I served with in Baumholder during that time. Almost 40 years ago, and we’re still like brothers. We were in the 293rd Combat Engrs, and spent most of our time in Grafenvier. I was a wrench turner, 63W then 63H tank mechanic.

I don't remember the name of the kaserne anymore... Too many years ago and too much has happened since. It had a HUGE candy strip tower on it. We were a communication unit with folks from a few other countries. I was 52D (Generator Mechanic) and I maintained the generators & A/C systems at all the sites all over Germany.

I was in Hanau from 79-81 on Fligerhorst Kaserne.

1610223093018.png

Reactions: DaYooperTransplant
In Baumholder my NATO unit was part of the CIP-67 program. I spent about 8 months a year on the road going to each site to do maintenance on the equipment. Each site had battery backup if they lost commercial power & the generators didn't start. And each site had A/C to keep the radios cooled. It was an interesting assignment. Here is a layout of where all the sites were. I only took care of the ones in Germany.
Drove a Ford cargo van with all my tools and parts. And had a 4WD rig for getting to some of the commo sites in the winter.
1610224645068.png

Familiar with several of those places. We used to go to Fliegerhorst to do our PT test. I was in Hanau from 95-98 or there abouts. I left Hanau on December 18th 1995 in a 5ton bobtail and was part of a convoy that drove to Bosnia. We made it to Croatia Christmas Eve and lived in a bombed out train station until the floating bridge over the Sava river was built. Then spent the year in Bosnia. Also did the Gulf War. I was on retirement leave when they stop loss me to go to Iraq in 03. Ended up letting me stay back and take care of rear detachment. Retired as an E-7. I did a lot of recovery work during my 21 years. Enjoyed it. The attached photo was in Bosnia. That’s me down in the ditch. Good times.

0330478E-12FC-4C75-B679-5C7648C8444A.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: Wildman