Anything I should do for 2000 TJ has been sitting for two months?

brianb2

TJ Enthusiast
Hey folks, my jeep has been sitting for two months. I hurt myself back in March and it hasn't moved in a while. Putting a new battery in it tomorrow, and I'll change out all the fluids over the next week.

Just wanted to ask the collective, what else should I make sure to give some attention? Never meant to let it sit that long, but life got in the way.

Thanks, Brian

Battery, fluids, tire pressure. Check for any rodent damage if its been sitting outside or where critters could have gotten to it. Fuel should be fine, two months isn't long really. My boat sits 6-7 months at a time, it doesn't mind as long as I keep up the maintenance.

The gas will be a little stale so I wouldn't be concerned about the idle or little issues with how it runs until you get fresh gas. Run the A/C. Everything else sits pretty well on newer vehicles like the TJ. I try to pump the brake pedal once a month just to flex the rubber and push in the clutch but I doubt it really matters.

Does it really need a new battery? I’d charge it up and go out and fire it up. 2 months isn’t really that long. I’ve let vehicles sit longer without issue.

Reactions: Jamison C
I agree. For two months I wouldn’t think twice about just driving off. Mine has scarcely moved over these last couple months due to COVID. Starts right up and goes just like it should.
I used to not drive my TJ for 2-3 months a couple times a year because of work and I never did much except check the tire pressure when I returned. It did sit in a garage, but never even the slightest hiccup upon restarting.

Yeah man, go see if it starts. Two months isn’t long at all. Mine sits outside in the winter and gets driven 2 or 3 times, you should be good to go if your battery was healthy when you parked it.

Two months is nothing. Mine has sat for 4+ before and been just fine. 2 months is absolutely not a problem. Just drive away.

This just shows everyone how much we love our rigs. But y'all are kind of funny.
Paranoia kind of guys tend to worry about just a 2 month of hibernation.
Maybe 2 years before I check the mechanism of it.

Pre-trip inspection, fire that sucker up and drive. When I go home once a year, my old Moto Guzzi fires up first crank, ready to rumble. If your equipment was good when you parked it, it should still be good.

Old gas (and bad pcm's) gets blamed for all kinds of issues that don't exist or are something else. My Oldsmobile sits in the garage for months at a time. I put a trickle charger on it sometimes, but other than that, I do nothing. Fires right up after sitting all winter. A couple of years ago, body work combined with weather caused it to go about a year between fill ups. No issues. And I converted it to fuel injection fwiw. Other than the battery, I think there is zero concern about anything mechanical on a that has been stored 6 months or less.