Anything I should do while the engine is removed?

Grovian

Well, Thought it was a lifter/cam issue. I was wrong! But on that note i get to rebuild the old tired 4.0 earlier then planned!

So once i have the 4.0L removed, is there anything i should look at doing while i have all that room to work with?

Yup the clutch was in the plan as well haha

As for the LS, i would love to, but the price difference is more then the misses will allow haha

Install the 4.2 crank and rods, shave the block about .020, install 27-28# pound mustang injectors, Crane 753901 cam and enjoy the 60 extra horsepower...poor mans stroker. More info can be found on the jeep strokers page.

Reactions: matkal
Install the 4.2 crank and rods, shave the block about .020, install 27-28# pound mustang injectors, Crane 753901 cam and enjoy the 60 extra horsepower...poor mans stroker. More info can be found on the jeep strokers page.

Okay might have to read a little more on that! Thx astjp2

It is a 258 crane and rods installed into the 4.0 block. You need to get the quench to .045-.055 which will stop preignition, I offset ground my crank .020 and then shaved the block deck height to .000. with my gasket, I got .045. quench. There is a guy selling performance heads on the stroker forum, you may consider that because the extra power, the head is one limiting factor. when I did mine on the YJ, it runs like a 3.6 does in the jk, it scoots right along. I also overbored the block .030, which gave me a square bore to stroke ratio. I REALLY like the performance. Tim

well haven't pulled the Engine yet, was talking with a couple mechanic friends and told me to check a couple things before i pull it right out, First is the Compression

Here that is

1 - 130 - 135
2 - 140 - 90 - 95 - 90 ??? not sure why this was 140 on the first one and 90 the rest
3 - 135 - 130
4 - 150 - 145
5 - 120 - 120
6 - 125 - 130

and figured i would check the rockers, springs and pushrods as well, all seem good.
adding a couple videos so you all can hear my pain.

Last edited:
That 90 on cylinder 2 isn't good. That would suggest you have a problem.

I almost wonder if that's rod knock?