Anyway to stealth sleep in a TJ?

Jammock.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: JMT and Modoc Guy
I have done this in my 97 TJ. Took out the passenger front seat and was able to use pillows to fill that area and the footwell behind. Then put down some mats to sleep. Wasn't the best, but wasn't the worst. I am 6'3

I think the only way this works is to entirely remove the passenger seat, or be fairly short. In an LJ I could keep my passenger seat in flipped forward and just barely sleep (I’m 6’2”) - it worked if you’re like me and can sleep wherever. The hammock way didn’t work for me, but I need to try that again since it would allow sleeping without removing all the gear that I stashed under my Jeep.

View attachment 252042

that was the best thing about the hammock. I left almost all my gear in the Jeep and just slept suspended over it. I did put both front seats all the way forward and the back seat was out, and I left the cooler and the 20mm ammo can full of cooking gear outside; but my tools, water and the tent I brought as backup in case the hammock thing killed me the first night, all stayed inside.

I have a pretty bad back for being 37 years old and I still slept just as good, possibly even better, in the hammock than I would have on a sleeping pad on the ground.

Reactions: JMT
that was the best thing about the hammock. I left almost all my gear in the Jeep and just slept suspended over it. I did put both front seats all the way forward and the back seat was out, and I left the cooler and the 20mm ammo can full of cooking gear outside; but my tools, water and the tent I brought as backup in case the hammock thing killed me the first night, all stayed inside.

I have a pretty bad back for being 37 years old and I still slept just as good, possibly even better, in the hammock than I would have on a sleeping pad on the ground.
I'm going to have to try a hammock again, I only quickly tried to make it work and gave up!

Reactions: freedom_in_4low
Is "In" part mandatory ?
You could get a creeper and roll under the Jeep, zip tie hands to the drive shaft and vola !
Comfy, exhaust pipe will keep you warm, and stealthy af! Just an ordinary stranded Jeep owner, doing Jeep things, under the Jeep in the middle of a night.

My '04 TJ is standard length. I am 6'2". Is there any ideas how to sleep in my TJ? I looked at the floor to take out my passenger seat and that looks crazy hard to figure out. Hammock ideas? I don't think it would be long enough even at a diagonal?

Just wondering if it can even be done.

Thanks.
Depends on whether you want to sleep, or nap. If it was an LJ I would say sure on a hammock, but the TJ is short, and all

Certainly not stealthy but I slept in the driver seat the last time I went camping. Heavy, heavy downpours all weekend overtook the tent floor so I wanted somewhere dry in the middle of the night.

Of course, the beverages around the campfire before bed likely made sleeping seated a little easier....

I was thinking of some version of that. If somebody could produce a hammock that attached to the two front spreader bars by the windshield, then made an adjustable bracket that inserted into a trailer hitch of some sort for the rear attachment point, then a small "tent" portion that kinda sealed around the rear window, you could still be "inside" and above everything inside, dry, and bug free.

But yeah, a few extra beers and the driver's seat is what I've done before. Not ideal for sure, but it'll get'er dun.

Reactions: FarFire70
But yeah, a few extra beers and the driver's seat is what I've done before. Not ideal for sure, but it'll get'er dun.
If you're near any roadway, just set the keys on a tire to be safe.

edit: to add context - I had a buddy that got a DUI who realized he was too drunk to drive and decided to sleep instead... he got a DUI in a parking lot only because he had "the capacity to drive while drunk". They should have thanked him, instead they're discouraging people from making the responsible decision (I guess now days you can uber...)

Last edited:
Reactions: FarFire70
That was actually a thing when I was in the military. People would frequently drive smashed back to base and park in the visitor's parking lot just outside the gate to sleep it off. Drunk thinking was don't go through the gate where you have to show your ID and get popped. They started patrolling the lot and arresting people for just what you said. Logically if you are going to do it, just do it in the bar parking lot, but I digress. Yeah, it's a real thing, but a little discretion on the part of the po po would be nice.

Reactions: rasband
I never realized how many people need to stretch out flat to sleep, I‘ve slept in the passenger seat, in a mummy bag with the seat reclined. I trained in a cramped airline seat for 40 yrs, hell I don’t even need the recline anymore I get 2+ hours of sleep Monday mornings in my standard cab work truck because I get there early to avoid traffic.
I can't sleep in the best situation any more.
So freaking envious...
Couldn't nap if you popped me in the head w a sap...
Damn...

• Haha
Reactions: Ron505 and DrDmoney
Thanks for all the replies. At 6'2" and with a messed up neck, I am probably dreaming. I guess removing the front seat is possible, but kind of odd driving around with one seat in your TJ. Would be lighter though and I don't have a spare tire either, so my TJ would really be light. Damn fleabag motel wants $84 a night!