AOAA-a Rausch Alternative 10/10/20

taylormade73

Wob Free
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Met up with @Camdenst Saturday at AOAA. Our original plan was Rausch, but they had an event going on that day. We feared long lines and a cluster fuck on the trails, so we headed to Anthracite instead.

This was my rigs maiden off-road voyage since the axle swaps. As a matter of fact, hadn't wheeled any of 2020. So, this was a shakedown run of sorts. Pretty ballsy (read stupid) doing a shakedown on a non-trailered rig at a location 8 hours away. Anyway, excitement overrode any sensibility yesterday, as out plan was to mainly stay on blues amd "check out" a black or two. Well, our first blue "Renee's Hill had us both pulling cable. Once Renee was crested, we were in the middle of nothing but black trails. We walked them and said "we can do this." And, so we threw caution and abandon to the wind and went through some pretty tight and gnarly rock gardens despite both of us had significant travels back home and needed our rigs to get us there. 😳 Other than the occasional crunch, we made it through without pulling cable the rest of the day.

@Camdenst LJR performed well and my rig made me proud of all the work I've been putting into it this year. Had a blast with @Camdenst and he is a class act. Really enjoyed meeting and wheeling with him and look forward to other runs with him.

Without further ado, here are some photos of the day. I must say with only 2 people it is near impossible to drive, spot and take quality photos much of the time.

imagejpeg_0_4.jpg

I haven't been to AOAA since summer 2017. Enjoyed it then.

The story behind AOAA is actually pretty interesting. Some of the locals were not exactly happy it was opening since the land was used as their personal trash dump. A lot of the original trail cutters wouldn't head out unless they were armed since a few locals became fairly threatening a time or two. Nowadays it at least brings some traffic into the otherwise dying Shamokin. The mines up there are pretty cool.

Reactions: taylormade73
There were only a few locals against the park. And you can imagine the type of people using a hill outside of town as a trash dump might not be the most civilized... The town is now mostly all for it. My mom told me a story about when she was brought to Shamokin in the 70's. It wasn't great back then but it has really gone downhill nowadays. It is good that something is going on around there at least.

I know in PA there is off-road park somewhere on the western side closer to @taylormade73. Has rocks in the name I think. There is also redding outdoor adventure area, though I've never been there. I did the Jeep Jamboree at AOAA. While the Jamborees are expensive, I enjoyed it and would do it again. It is always nice have experienced guides.

I might be heading there at some point soon. Can you let me know what the names/numbers of those tougher trails? We to Rausch a lot and the AOAA trail map leaves a lot to be desired as far as blacks and reds. Great photos!!

I might be heading there at some point soon. Can you let me know what the names/numbers of those tougher trails? We to Rausch a lot and the AOAA trail map leaves a lot to be desired as far as blacks and reds. Great photos!!
I will look at the map and let you know. As @Camdenst can attest, some were not labled or shown on the map.

Reactions: Sj's TJ
We spent all of our time in the back corner.

Im running 33s and the blues were great banged a bunch on the blacks and the reds are for truly modified vehicles or if you trailer and don't mind body damage.

View attachment 195816

View attachment 195817
Thanks for the info. We trailer our rigs and usually hit blacks and reds at Rausch so looking for comparable at AOAA. This helps a lot. That was the area I was thinking would be the best for what we are looking for if we go.

Great shots, I’m a few hours from both AOAA and Rausch and still haven’t been to either. Maybe in Nov.

We saw a few blacks and reds that were super difficult and clearly had not been run in years. There was a crazy trail of the 721 blue. There was also one called tacoma trouble or something out back there that looked intense.
There were also a couple that weren't even marked on the map.

Reactions: Sj's TJ
There were also a couple that weren't even marked on the map.
Was out there today. The weather was great and the trails were great as well. I like that there are multiple ways to get up certain trails. We ran almost all the black trails on the east side and some fun blues like Barney Rubble and trail 39. The annoying thing was that trail 36 was closed half way and they weren’t done cutting it, so that ended up being an out and back to end the day which was lame. Otherwise we really like the place and had a blast.