ARB Compressor Running A Lot

Sj's TJ

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I recently installed a ARB Compressor to run a rear locker:

https://www.extremeterrain.com/arb-high-output-compressorCKMA12.html
I used it for the first time this past weekend, and it seemed to turn on every minute to keep the locker engaged. This didn't seem correct to me, but I also don't know what it should be doing. I'm going to try re-connecting the air line after cutting it. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Did you use PTFE paste on the threads?
I used Teflon tape on all the connections. However, I did installed a used Dana 44 with the ARB locker already installed with the air line attached. I didn't cut the line at all and I'm thinking the leak is probably at either end of that used line. How often should it run when no leaks are present?

If there are no leaks it should never run unless you actuate the ARB, as the ARB would be the only thing to lower the air pressure in the system.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Sj's TJ
I recently installed a ARB Compressor to run a rear locker:

https://www.extremeterrain.com/arb-high-output-compressorCKMA12.html
I used it for the first time this past weekend, and it seemed to turn on every minute to keep the locker engaged. This didn't seem correct to me, but I also don't know what it should be doing. I'm going to try re-connecting the air line after cutting it. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!
If only there were some magical way to tell when air was escaping.

If there are no leaks it should never run unless you actuate the ARB, as the ARB would be the only thing to lower the air pressure in the system.

Isn't it acceptable that the seals aren't all perfect (including the internal seals)?

Tough crowd.

I'd spray all the connections with soapy water to check for leaks. As long as the compressor isn't overheating, the lockers stay engaged and the noise doesn't bother you too much I wouldn't worry about some cycling.

The paste @toximus mentioned is a little easier to get a good seal with. I use Permatex high temp thread sealant but anything like that'll work. Not a fan of tape but it doesn't really matter.

Magic, but not quite Black Magic.

Bubbles aren't really magic, they just seem that way, especially when you are trying to find an air leak so you can isolate the problem to connections outside the diff or narrow it down to inside the diff.

Thank you all for the responses. I’ll get the soapy water going and see where the leak is coming from. Hopefully it’s not inside axle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk