ARB Freezer Fridge—for the ultimate overlander

Can someone tell me how these refrigerators do when the Jeep is turned off. What is the amp draw and will they kill the battery overnight? I only have one battery. We only do weekend trips. will they work for that? I heard form a couple people that the ARBs are not as efficient as they claim. Is that true?
Thanks,
Igoo65

Can someone tell me how these refrigerators do when the Jeep is turned off. What is the amp draw and will they kill the battery overnight? I only have one battery. We only do weekend trips. will they work for that? I heard form a couple people that the ARBs are not as efficient as they claim. Is that true?
Thanks,
Igoo65

You're asking a bunch of different questions, and the answers are (mostly) model-dependent. General advice:

- Starting batteries don't like repeated deep, slow discharges; using one to run your fridge may shorten the lifespan, although you probably won't kill it overnight unless it's already marginal.
- Efficiency is overrated, because - in the end - you're converting gasoline into cooling capacity and you have WAY more gasoline than you can use for cooling (unless your battery sucks and you run the rig all night, but I digress). That said: most ratings are a bit liberal, so plan on less efficiency and capacity than advertised. Go ahead and buy an insulating blanket for whatever you get; those actually do help.

Reactions: Igoo65
Thanks,
Igoo65

My ARB will monitor the vehicle's voltage and will turn itself down (warmer) automatically, and eventually turn itself off before allowing the battery voltage to drain so low that you can't start your vehicle. However, I routinely leave it running overnight while camping and it never has a problem maintaining full power through ought the night and the jeep always fires right up.

ARB and likely others will draw and then cut-off at a set voltage. I kept mine plugged in while running, but would shut it off when I wasn't running if it was during say a road trip and at night assuming it's still fairly cool, it's just like a cooler. I would set the temp near freezing and then if it warms up to around 36F or something that's considered safe anyway, then no worries.

I have some slightly more extended stays and I'm out when it's very warm, so I went AUX battery and added the ability to maintain the battery using solar.

Quick rant, the Generators you see called Yeti, Jackery, stuff like that, beware of because often they require like 11 hrs to recharge using solar and 6 or 7 hrs at an outlet which are all unrealistic besides one time use, That's almost useless unless you size it massively more than your needs, which doesn't make much sense. Just get a marine or deep cycle battery and build your own setup as you can afford it or until these units become more realistic. One day those generators will be awesome, but not today imo. I have no experience with them, just wanted to buy them until I saw how long they take to recharge vs their capacity vs an AGM battery, which I still think is a bit high dollar. I think you may have more use from one of the Li battery jumpers.