ARB onboard air pump rebuild?

Teddydogno1

My new-to-me LJ came with an ARB on board air pump under the hood (I don't think is it the tiny one just for lockers...the Jeep is a Rubicon and doesn't have ARM Lockers). The PO said it doesn't work, so he carried an air compressor. I have a Ryobi battery powered one that works really well and will carry that.

BUT...seems like the ARB should probably be repairable. He didn't say what was wrong and I haven't yet checked. Any troubleshooting guides out there for these? PO is an electrician, so I ASSUME it is not a simple power issue. More likely, I think, a seal or piston or other mechanical issue.

Would like to have an idea where to start when getting into it. Thanks!

Rob

The pump is actually a locker activator only. Don't see a switch on it or on the dash. It looks like it is in good condition and the wiring looks good. ARB does have wiring diagrams and troubleshooting on their site. The troubleshooting seems to be only about electrical issues, NOT mechanical.

I know the locker activator isn't mean for airing up tires. Maybe that's all the PO meant by "it doesn't work". Too little flow for tires.

This is the pump in question

arb_pump_front.jpg

arb_pump_back.jpg

Rob

ARB has good customer service. I would call them and see what they say.

Have you figured out what's wrong with it?

Poly performance www site has a nice parts breakdown. You can get an idea of what's involved.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

x2 on ARB c/s.
Back in 2004, my comp. kept blowing fuses. So I took it apart and found that the rotor was making contact with the stator, as in zero air gap. So I called ARB/USA in WA. and they said to sent it to them, I did this on my dime since I won the unit in a raffle. About 2 weeks later, the brown truck dropped off a NIB comp. with a letter of apology/thanks and a check for my shipping cost.

I will call them when I have the time and any background info I think I need. Gathering info at this point.

I'm an IT guy and hate it when people call without all the info they need AND the time and ability to properly work with Support when they call. So I don't do that to other companies.

Me: Hi, ARB. I got a new old Jeep with one of your pumps in it. PO said it doesn't work.
Them: What doesn't work about it?
Me: No idea. Don't even know how to turn it on.
Them: That's OK. Can you take the phone out to the Jeep and we can check it out?
Me: Uh, sorry. I'm at work and it isn't here.
Them: ????

Rob

Follow the wires from the plug and see what’s at the other end. I would think there’s a switch somewhere.

Last edited:
Don't get into analysis paralysis. It's a small compressor powered by 12 volts, you've spent more time asking/talking about it than it would have taken to at least see if it's getting 12 volts or not. I spent 40+ years in the tech side of IT and electronics, that little compressor should not take more than a few minutes to check out.

I live up the hill from where Arb is, and have known folks there for 20 years and their last 4 office location, do some basic diagnosis on it, put 12v to it see if you get pressure, take that into their tech support and ask them what they suggest. If your friendly and open to them they will help you

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
I figured out the problem with the pump this weekend. When getting the Jeep read for today's run, I found the power source for the pump...a pair of spring clips near the battery. When attached to the battery, the ARB pump runs and puts out a small amount of air.

So it seems there is no problem except for the previous owner's expectations...trying to air up tires with a locker activator.

What does a used ARB activator sell for?

Rob