Ardenlonewolf's 1998 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

Aug 17, 2018
Northshore, MA
So after being Jeepless for two years and moving cross country. I finally began the hunt for the perfect TJ for me. Last TJ I owned I have to admit I beat on it for five years living in San Diego going to the desert and mountains of Cali, Moab, Nevada, Tahoe. My next one would be taken care of and will be my fishing/hunting/beach buddy here in New England.

After six months of looking for "rust free" tjs and being severely disappointed I finally got lucky a found the perfect tj that had the correct list of items that I absolutely needed such as a 4.0, manual, hardtop, full doors.

IMAG5102.jpg

1998 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4.0 5 speed manual almost completely stock and rust free with 61,000 miles. It had been neglected for many years tucked in a garage as it came from a well off family in Boston who had five vehicles in a big house.
IMAG5172.jpg

I bought it at the tail end of winter so upgrades would have to wait as my garage is full of sad hibernating motorcycles.

IMG_20180819_181041654.jpg

This is how it sits now at 65,000 miles after removing some stock plastic and adding d ring bumpers, updated headlights, diff covers, fog lights, new heavy duty gas tank skid plate, other rock protection underneath and rocker guards. All fluids have been flushed and replaced with the good stuff. New spark plugs, wires, cap and rotors. She purrs like a kitten and runs nice and straight down the highway. I have a truck and few motorcycles and I walk to a commuter rail for work everyday so I'm expecting to keep the mileage low on this one.
IMG_20180819_181313383_HDR.jpg

Future mods are a winch, 2" lift, sway bar quick disconnects and 32" mud terrains, but as with any jeep owner, you never know how far down the rabbit you might go with modifications.
IMG_20180819_181328303.jpg

My family has some hunting cabins in Maine that I visited regularly throughout the summer/fall so this has been a blast going down old logging trails.
IMG_20180714_102002447_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180714_142944_980.jpg

I appreciate the info and tricks jeepers post on a forum like this. Almost everything I need to know outside of a few manuals to keep her running for another 20 years. Thought I'd finally share my TJ after using this site for a few months.

Last edited:
May 10, 2018
Saltopia, PA, USA
that's awesome & best color Jeep, I looked for one but had no luck, the one I found was also a Sahara but the rust factor killed the deal (already had a frame repair & the fenders were rusted through, probably was everywhere else too). Best of luck with it & welcome to the east coast

EJD

TJ Overlander
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Jul 16, 2016
Missoula, MT, USA
Nice Jeep! Looks nice and clean, and I love the KO2's on there now. Not too much wheeling going on in MA but you are close to NH being in the north shore. I used to live in New Bedford a while back and you could bring your Jeep out to Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket Islands and play in the sand dunes on the beaches.

Whats up with the OR plates btw? Is that where you found the Jeep and drove it to the east coast?

OP
OP
Ardenlonewolf
Aug 17, 2018
Northshore, MA
Whats up with the OR plates btw? Is that where you found the Jeep and drove it to the east coast?[/QUOTE]

I'm active duty Coast Guard stationed in Boston but I'm actually a Oregon Resident as long as I'm still in the service. The MASShole state is not very 4wd friendly when it comes to inspections. It just makes more sense for me to register my vehicles in Oregon, I didn't pay sales tax on the jeep, no inspections, no smog tests, no yearly excise tax, my 2 year registration is pretty cheap compared to mass. Its a good deal.

I have a group of Toyota guys I go trail riding with in southern Maine and class 6 trails in new Hampshire. Beautiful communities in New England and some great trails just across the state lines.

OP
OP
Ardenlonewolf
Aug 17, 2018
Northshore, MA
that's awesome & best color Jeep, I looked for one but had no luck, the one I found was also a Sahara but the rust factor killed the deal (already had a frame repair & the fenders were rusted through, probably was everywhere else too). Best of luck with it & welcome to the east coast
I agree on the color combo with black steelies are my favorite. Almost got another 98 Sahara with 80k miles that already had a ford 9" with rubicon express long arm but the seller admitted to several patches in the frame which were painted over so I had to pass. Just not use to seeing rusty vehicles as I lived on the west coast for the past ten years.

OP
OP
Ardenlonewolf
Aug 17, 2018
Northshore, MA
Wow very nice! The OD green jerry can and mount setup looks awesome. What's the capacity of that can?

The KO2's look killer with the white letters out. :thumbsup:

Welcome, and thank you for your service!
Thanks,

Its a basic crown reproduction 5 gallon can that I got for this hunting season in remote Maine.

Fortunately when I bought it, it had new bfg all terrains all the way around, but unfortunately only one is a KO2 and they are only 30" tall. I have 35" KO2s on my truck and absolutely love them. They still look good after 30,000 miles.

OP
OP
Ardenlonewolf
Aug 17, 2018
Northshore, MA
Hardtop is back on for hunting season in Maine.
IMG_20180929_122555775_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180929_123920571.jpg

My TJ is the perfect size for the trails out here. Haven't installed the lift yet due to purchasing a Dodge power wagon which is sucking my funds.
IMG_20180930_101034042_HDR.jpg

Donations

Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum's operating expenses are primarily paid by the generous contributions of members.

Donate

Ride of the Month

Congratulations to Kiwi TJ for winning the November 2018 Ride of the Month!

November 2018 Ride of the Month

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TruckerDawgTJ63