Are all bikini tops created equal?

Moab

TJ Expert
Supporting Member
Would like to spend the least amount of money possible. As I'm not even sure I need or want one. SO I'll probably look for one used as well as new. But I thought in the interest of the occasional rain shower. It would be nice to have one in my trunk when needed. When I'm running around in the summer with my top off. So easy on and off would be a plus. I don't want a sun shade. I want something that will keep the water at least out of the cab. I don't want a safari top either.

Oh ya. I have full doors.

I've only seen the Bestops with the straps. And the others with the bungee cords. Seems like the straps would get you better waterproof coverage.

Anyone have a recommendation or a web review site?

Are all bikini tops created equal?

No.

I run a bestop bikini all the time. Here's my two cents - worth just that much. It takes time to put on so you can't really just pull over and get it on quick enough. The Jeep still gets water in it from the rear section once it's on so the inside is still soaked unless you don't have carpet. With hard doors even in winter I can drive with just a light jacket and stay dry in heavy downpours so leaks aren't an issue. When rain is in the forecast if you keep it on you'll be fine with a jacket, just remember to fold the seats forward when you park.

I have a smittybilt, between it and the header it was about $100. I don't like it so much that I've spent $100 per use on it. (why isn't there a smiley here of me banging my head?)

I don't know if the others are any better but I basically just remove all my windows and the doors and love every second of my Bestop softop.

Reactions: glwood
I have a smittybilt, between it and the header it was about $100. I don't like it so much that I've spent $100 per use on it. (why isn't there a smiley here of me banging my head?)

I don't know if the others are any better but I basically just remove all my windows and the doors and love every second of my Bestop softop.
Why don’t you like it? Wife thinks we need one for the Jeep.

Unless you have the type of header that mounts permanently to the windshield frame with screws (vs. the clamp-on style), there is no "easy on, easy off" with a bikini top. My Bestop clamp-on header/bikini was a PITA to put on and take off. Sold it and never looked back. Like @JEEPCJTJ, it's windows out and I'm good, when running the soft top.

Reactions: Ericict
Why don’t you like it? Wife thinks we need one for the Jeep.

I thought I needed one too. I was wrong, luckily both of us are just as happy with the full top with no doors and windows as we could have been with a good old CJ style bikini top.

I don't like the smittybilt, and possibly the others, for at least a couple of reasons probably somewhat related to my good old CJ days.

• The smittybilt header doesn't stay connected to the the bikini top unless the top is being used.
  • The header is held in place with threaded bolts instead of folding clamps like a soft top.
  • One of the plastic handles on one of those bolts was loose from day one.
  • Both bolts screw into rivet nuts and one of those nuts came loose while I was unscrewing the bolt (probably on day two).
  • smittybilt has two ways to deal with the side edges of the bikini top.
    • Tuck them into the door surrounds (similar to the regular soft top)
    • Wrap the (3?) attached velcro straps around each of the side roll bars which made the bikini top considerably narrower than the windshield except where it attached.
    • IIRC the velcro straps closest to the windshield were also used with the door surrounds and even though I couldn't get them to look like they were supposed to be used, if they weren't used it was obvious that something needed to be used.

The bikini top on my old CJ didn't need any header piece, was as wide as the windshield the whole way back, and its side edges pulled nice and taut from the windshield to each back corner and connected to the rear corners of the tub with two strong 1" wide straps. Now that I said that about the sides, I just remembered that the rear edge was also nice and taut when installed. Total install time: about 1 1/2 minutes and it looked perfect every time.

Reactions: Ericict
I thought I needed one too. I was wrong, luckily both of us are just as happy with the full top with no doors and windows as we could have been with a good old CJ style bikini top.

I don't like the smittybilt, and possibly the others, for at least a couple of reasons probably somewhat related to my good old CJ days.

• The smittybilt header doesn't stay connected to the the bikini top unless the top is being used.
  • The header is held in place with threaded bolts instead of folding clamps like a soft top.
  • One of the plastic handles on one of those bolts was loose from day one.
  • Both bolts screw into rivet nuts and one of those nuts came loose while I was unscrewing the bolt (probably on day two).
  • smittybilt has two ways to deal with the side edges of the bikini top.
    • Tuck them into the door surrounds (similar to the regular soft top)
    • Wrap the (3?) attached velcro straps around each of the side roll bars which made the bikini top considerably narrower than the windshield except where it attached.
    • IIRC the velcro straps closest to the windshield were also used with the door surrounds and even though I couldn't get them to look like they were supposed to be used, if they weren't used it was obvious that something needed to be used.

The bikini top on my old CJ didn't need any header piece, was as wide as the windshield the whole way back, and its side edges pulled nice and taut from the windshield to each back corner and connected to the rear corners of the tub with two strong 1" wide straps. Now that I said that about the sides, I just remembered that the rear edge was also nice and taut when installed. Total install time: about 1 1/2 minutes and it looked perfect every time.

And no ones makes one like the one you had on your CJ? This is beginning to sound like more than it's worth. Maybe I'll just carry a tarp. And if it rains. At least have something to throw over it if stationary. And at home too.

My problem is I want to take my ST off. Which is easy to do. Just undo the header and fold it all back. And strap it down. But by time it starts to rain. It's too cold to get the top back on. As I need it stretched out from the sun. I thought maybe a bikini top would suffice during the summer months. If I took the top all the way off. But from this thread they all sound like they suck.

Get a trail cover for the stationary times and just use the soft top as a safari with the rear windows out if there is a chance of rain while rolling.

I'm just not into bikinis; if you're going to go that far, just ditch the top entirely. If it gets hot, find some shade. Also, avoid photoshopped models.