Are all hood louvers equal?

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Ride of the Month Winner
The paint in the center of my TJ hood has something weird going on. It bugs me, and the only way to fix it is to repaint it. However, I'm not going to do that as I've already got so much armor on this thing it just makes no sense.

So, I'm toying with the idea of putting a hood louver on for looks. This is the one I have in mind:

https://genright.com/products/tj-lj-whole-hood-louver.html
However, I also see that Poison Spyder and numerous others make them as well. Most of them look the same, like they came from the same place in China or somewhere overseas. Maybe I'm missing something, but I am just wondering if anyone has compared different hood louvers like this and found one to be better than the other in terms of fit, finish, and quality.

i got the 100$ amazon version. the material is the same thickness, we'll just have to let time tell if the powder coating is =.
the GR version all the louvers face the windscreen, IIRC. the Amazon version and PS have some that do face forward, just in front of the windscreen. and it's screws not rivets.

Reactions: Pressurized
Ahh, I like that the GenRight one is aluminum. Are the others aluminum?

Do any of them come powder coated black already? That would save me some time. I don’t particularly want the spider logo, that’s my only reservation about that one.

yep, this is mine just unpacked.

116263814_318196676210193_2602127585988870401_n.jpg

Reactions: Potomus Pete
Well well well. @Chris going for a hood louver!

My louver came from Amazon. From many reviews I believe it is made at same place as the poison spyder louver without the logo. It black powder coated and aluminum. They make two versions to accommodate the different years that have one washer nozzle or two.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NL31QRS/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Looks like that Amazon one is aluminum powder coated black.

For some reason I do wish all the vents faced the same way rather than the ones closest to the windshield opening forward, hell I'd be happy if those six vents were not there at all.

i've seen mention of water intrusion concerns, but i've gone out after rains storms and seen no significant moisture accumulated.

in a driving in a storm instance those forward facing louvers could scoop some moisture, so i just used a 1.5-2" (ICR) hole saw in those positions through the hood instead of their larger block pattern.

here's the hood template and what i cut. i had heat issues up front, this helped solve it and was the least amount of ruination to the hoods structure. you can do as much or as little or as none as you'd like.

116109825_323152122196451_1796375605676935093_n.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris