Are both of these PCV valves?

You would think replacing those would be an easy task...well its not.
First the brittle plastic PCV valve broke. Then the dried out grommet wouldn't come out. I tried cutting it but it was rather hard. The blade went into my knee way easier than it went into the grommet. I ended up ripping the lip off with pliers, pushing the grommet in and pulling it out with pliers (there is a deflector on the back side). And all this was with the valve cover off (I was replacing the gasket). There is no way I would have been comfortable if I had to do this with the valve cover on the engine, I would have been too worried about pieces getting into the engine. You might be better off just pulling the valve cover...to replace the gasket...and doing the grommet then. Hopefully you don't have the same issues I had, it was definitely filed in the PITA cabinet for reference later on.
You're not alone. I've probably replaced the grommets on 12 Jeeps and it's a PIA. I remove the valve cover now and take a heat gun to the grommets. Softening them up with heat makes them come out much easier.

Last edited:
Reactions: JMT
Will do this when I change the valve springs. New VC gasket and all. Thank you for posting such great info

I found using a flathead screwdriver on the inside lip. Just keep scooting it back until it past metal but in contact with rubber. Thing rolls right out... 10 seconds top.... The pain for me was getting the elbow out. Needed a buddy and used 3 screwdrivers around flange to pop it out after destroying the front one. Got a technique down now!

Does anyone have the Dorman or MOPAR part number for this hose (red arrow)? I got a new elbow and grommet, but the previous owner tired to fix it and glued the elbow to the hose, so I now also have to get a hose.

hose.jpeg

Screen Shot 2021-07-14 at 1.33.47 PM.png

Does anyone have the Dorman or MOPAR part number for this hose (red arrow)? I got a new elbow and grommet, but the previous owner tired to fix it and glued the elbow to the hose, so I now also have to get a hose.

View attachment 265338

View attachment 265339
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007NQWEQ2/?tag=wranglerorg-20
I also found that the Mopar parts all fit better than Dorman. I’d suggest that you buy Mopar parts while they’re still available.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007NR105W/?tag=wranglerorg-20
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CIY2H2/?tag=wranglerorg-20
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007I8YVA2/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Just changed both PCV valves and seals. PTA when they are no longer rubber, now hard plastic. When I changed out my fuel injectors, and added the DEI heat shield, I noticed there is more oil coming from the valve cover gaskets and o-ring seals, so I am hopeful that fixes the leak in lieu of the RMS.

Has anyone figured out the 05-06 issue? I have an 05 and the same issue with my rear. I already broke mine as it was too brittle. Hoping someone found if the part exists anywhere online. Hoping not have to chase down that thing at a junkyard. Has anyone with an 05-06 tried the 53030495

Has anyone figured out the 05-06 issue? I have an 05 and the same issue with my rear. I already broke mine as it was too brittle. Hoping someone found if the part exists anywhere online. Hoping not have to chase down that thing at a junkyard. Has anyone with an 05-06 tried the 53030495
Unless I'm vastly mistaken, its the same damn part as every other year, the databases are screwed up. The dealer I bought my '06 from believed the data and put a full-open front elbow in the rear which resulted in a massive vacuum leak, which resulted in high idle. I found the one with the 60 mil restrictor in it even though it didn't say '05/'06 and it worked fine. I think it was a Dorman part, don't recall now. It was certainly cheap enough.

Unless I'm vastly mistaken, its the same damn part as every other year, the databases are screwed up. The dealer I bought my '06 from believed the data and put a full-open front elbow in the rear which resulted in a massive vacuum leak, which resulted in high idle. I found the one with the 60 mil restrictor in it even though it didn't say '05/'06 and it worked fine. I think it was a Dorman part, don't recall now. It was certainly cheap enough.
Thank you very much for the info. I was thinking the same thing as long as it has the 60 mil restrictor in it. Gonna go get that one tomorrow, thanks again for the update. Much appreciated

Thank you very much for the info. I was thinking the same thing as long as it has the 60 mil restrictor in it. Gonna go get that one tomorrow, thanks again for the update. Much appreciated
I went through this thrash 2 years ago, and have forgotten some of the salient details - but I came away with "the databooks are screwed up" and "you need that 60 mil restrictor"...

BF7A6EE0-8F50-4713-8E5A-00E50A0117AA_1_201_a.jpeg

01-04 crankcase vent to intake manifold tube oem part # 4854265 ~$70 comes with new tube and rubber ends

alternative is dorman but they just the rubber ends, no tube. dorman part # 47128 ~$8

• Wow
Reactions: DrDmoney
Thanks, for the numbers. I’m aware front and rear are different. I just didn’t know if the rear part numbers translated across years. It seems you can find the rear (smaller hole) from earlier years with no flange but it looks like Mopar discontinued it for later years 05-06
Sorry man. I have logged in here for a while. Spent most of the time on wrangler forum and the FB user groups... I know. Really weird. I got lucky and was able to get mine out without damage. Trick is to pry the gasket and replace it.... They added the flange for 05 and 06. THEY NEVER ADD MONEY that late in a vehicle's life cycle unless there is an issue so I really wanted that flange:). at this point I think everyone is stuck using the 04 for the rear.