Are Dana 35 and Dana 44 brake rotors the same?

oceansidesurf

Hey all,

First post. I picked up a '99 TJ with 84 k miles on it. 4.0 auto. It looks to be built "correctly." In particular, it has a Jeep Rubicon Dana 44 swap front and rear with air lockers and chromemoly shafts. (axles apparently from a '05 Rubicon according to former owner.) Everything else on it looks to be a no-corners-cut build, from the lift to the condition, to the maintenance.

The only issue I'm having is a "pulsing pedal" which is, of course, a telltale sign of warped rotors. The Jeep has aftermarket rotors that are drilled and slotted — unsure of the advantage as I've never had an issue with just the "plain ones" — but, I figure I'll change them.

I searched Rock Auto under '05 and don't see a differentiation between Dana axles. There is only one application (with multiple choices of grade and brand) rotor listed.

1.) Can anyone confirm that the rotors are the same regardless of Dana axle?
2.) Anyone care to comment on drilled and slotted rotors versus plain? I've always had good luck with just the inexpensive plain rotors.

Thanks again!

Brian

IMG_1114.jpeg

IMG_1116.jpeg

You might consider purchasing brake pads and rotors from @mrblaine if you’re looking for better performance.

http://www.blackmagicbrakes.com/
I bought the Super 16 big brake kit for the front axle from him and am impressed with it’s performance so far.

His stuff will far outperform anything you will find on RockAuto, including the drilled/slotted bs.

As for the axles, I believe disc brakes are only an option on Dana 44 axles, which may be why you don’t see a difference. (I could be wrong)

(Depending upon the size of your tires you might consider his pads and rotors for the front as well, or even a BBK if you want even bigger tires.)

Last edited:
Reactions: StG58
Hey all,

First post. I picked up a '99 TJ with 84 k miles on it. 4.0 auto. It looks to be built "correctly." In particular, it has a Jeep Rubicon Dana 44 swap front and rear with air lockers and chromemoly shafts. (axles apparently from a '05 Rubicon according to former owner.) Everything else on it looks to be a no-corners-cut build, from the lift to the condition, to the maintenance.

The only issue I'm having is a "pulsing pedal" which is, of course, a telltale sign of warped rotors. The Jeep has aftermarket rotors that are drilled and slotted — unsure of the advantage as I've never had an issue with just the "plain ones" — but, I figure I'll change them.

I searched Rock Auto under '05 and don't see a differentiation between Dana axles. There is only one application (with multiple choices of grade and brand) rotor listed.

1.) Can anyone confirm that the rotors are the same regardless of Dana axle?
2.) Anyone care to comment on drilled and slotted rotors versus plain? I've always had good luck with just the inexpensive plain rotors.

Thanks again!

Brian

View attachment 95174

View attachment 95175
What in the ever living thunder is that thing on your hood?

There are 4 brake options on the TJ from 97-02 and they do not vary regardless of axle designation. All front and rear calipers are the same respective of location. All drum brake set ups are the same on the rear axle regardless of whether it is a Dana 35 or 44 under a Rubicon or not. The only difference is due to switching from composite to full cast rotors in mid 99 and the corresponding shortening of the unit bearing to compensate for the thicker hat.

As for smooth versus slotted etc., they do work better if you get a high quality version. They do not work better enough to justify the increase in cost over plain face rotors, but they will improve stopping in high energy events.

Reactions: oceansidesurf
What in the ever living thunder is that thing on your hood?

There are 4 brake options on the TJ from 97-02 and they do not vary regardless of axle designation. All front and rear calipers are the same respective of location. All drum brake set ups are the same on the rear axle regardless of whether it is a Dana 35 or 44 under a Rubicon or not. The only difference is due to switching from composite to full cast rotors in mid 99 and the corresponding shortening of the unit bearing to compensate for the thicker hat.

As for smooth versus slotted etc., they do work better if you get a high quality version. They do not work better enough to justify the increase in cost over plain face rotors, but they will improve stopping in high energy events.

THANK YOU! And yes, the "thing" on the hood is a marine-grade vinyl detachable cover. The hood has vented inserts for high temperature wheeling for additional cooling. The cover keeps water out when not needed, or when raining. It's actually a pretty slick set up, and custom made. Thanks for the info!

Wait a second...Rubicons came with a drum brake option in the rear?
No, but folks acquire Rubicon Dana 44's without brakes on the housing fairly often and they need to know that the brake drum assemblies can be moved over to the Rubi 44 since there is nothing different about it to prevent using drum brakes from a TJ Dana 35 or 44 from under the back end of a non Rubi model.