Are East Coast Gear chromoly axles any good? Are there better / cheaper options?

Modoc Guy

Jack of all trades, master of none
Supporting Member
I'm shopping for chromoly dana 30 front axles. It's a stock front axle, soon to get gears, and probably a locker. And I wanted to do the axles as well.

So are east coast gear axles any good? They take the bigger u-joints, the 760's IIRC. Front set with u-joints will run about $550.

I'm trying to get the best I can afford, and I'm only running 33's. And the more I think about it, the more I want to stay on 33's. My tires are fully stuffed at the bump stops with my basically 3 1/2" net lift, and I don't want to spend any more money lift wise.

So, opinions?

Not a direct comparison, but I am running Dana 60 axles front and rear. All the shafts are 35 spline ECGS CrMo. I have been running them since March 2016 with no problems. This includes three 10 day trips to Moab, a 3 day trip to Hot Springs AR, and countless local wheeling day trips here in the Central Texas Hill Country. Hopefully you get some feedback from someone with a Dana 30. I can say that ECGS is a great supplier. I have had nothing but positive experiences with them.

I'm shopping for chromoly dana 30 front axles. It's a stock front axle, soon to get gears, and probably a locker. And I wanted to do the axles as well.

So are east coast gear axles any good? They take the bigger u-joints, the 760's IIRC. Front set with u-joints will run about $550.

I'm trying to get the best I can afford, and I'm only running 33's. And the more I think about it, the more I want to stay on 33's. My tires are fully stuffed at the bump stops with my basically 3 1/2" net lift, and I don't want to spend any more money lift wise.

So, opinions?
I'm considering these: Amazon.com: Yukon Gear & Axle (YA W24110) Replacement Axle Kit for Jeep XJ/TJ/YJ Dana 30 Front Differential 4340 Chrome-Moly: Automotive

Like you, I'll be sticking with 33s.

Although I have no personal expierncee with ECGS, I would check with Dutchman Axle, their stuff is made in the USA and seem to have prices that are fair.

Revolution also sells Foote branded domestic axles that are made in the USA for fair prices and may offer the best warranty out there. (trust but verify)

Cant go wrong with either one.

Although I have no personal expierncee with ECGS, I would check with Dutchman Axle, their stuff is made in the USA and seem to have prices that are fair.

Revolution also sells Foote branded domestic axles that are made in the USA for fair prices and may offer the best warranty out there. (trust but verify)

Cant go wrong with either one.
I’ve got Dutchman in my Dana 44. I knew they were US made, but hadn’t seen their prices yet.

I should check them out, they’re right here in Oregon I believe.

With regard to getting the "correct" axles, type and length etc, is there a difference between the axles in a dana 30 with and without ABS, other than the tone rings on the outer stubs?

My rig had ABS, but the PO deleted it. So I want to make sure if I get axles without the tone rings they'll fit without issue. Or do the tone rings present a different problem?

And to get my info straight, they would be 27 spline inners, but how many splines on the outers? If I buy a set to fit a 2002 dana 30 do I need to know the length?