Are factory OEM Moab wheels forged or cast?

psrivats

Team green shackle
Supporting Member
Does anyone know if the factory MOAB wheels that came on Rubicon TJs are cast or forged? I suspect they are low pressure cast (and pretty high quality at that) but I'm wondering if anyone knows for sure. They weigh 21lbs on my scale.

a quick googling shows JK moabs as cast so I'd assume the same for TJs

a quick googling shows JK moabs as cast so I'd assume the same for TJs

I read that the original 16" TJ Moab wheels were forged, while the 17" JK version of the Moabs were cast in order to save weight.

I also read that all the aftermarket style Moab wheels are cast.

But I don't know for sure.

But this I do know: I once had a 2006 version of the Moab wheel (with the ledges), and it was quite a bit lighter than the 2003 - 2005 versions that did not have the ledges. So perhaps the 2006 Moab wheels were cast as well?

So why are the 2006 style Moabs (with the ledges) lighter than the 2003 - 2005 versions?
Pull one off, look on the backside where the stamping is that gives the pertinent info. Do you fucking see my name back there? No, didn't think so.

How about the obvious answer? There is less material???????

Back in the day, American Racing was the O.E. manufacturer of alloy wheels for many of the U.S. vehicle manufacturers. A good friend was the Rep for the northeast warehouse. They had tons of GM and Ford wheels in the warehouse. It was also a big no-no to sell them to the public.
Now most of the shit comes from China.
Imaging pulling a 22" chrome wheel off your 70k Tahoe to see China cast into the back of the wheel.

So why are the 2006 style Moabs (with the ledges) lighter than the 2003 - 2005 versions?

How much lighter are they? I would guess less material as well. I've never seen anything whatsoever (including the original brochures) that suggested they were forged.

Pull one off, look on the backside where the stamping is that gives the pertinent info. Do you fucking see my name back there? No, didn't think so.

How about the obvious answer? There is less material???????

Well, that seemed just the least bit uncalled for.

If you don't know, then the words "I don't know" would suffice.

What a PRICK!

How much lighter are they? I would guess less material as well. I've never seen anything whatsoever (including the original brochures) that suggested they were forged.

I would say a good 5 - 10 pounds lighter. Yet they are the same height and width, and they have EXTRA material in the ledges.

I suspect the 2003 - 2005 Moabs were forged, and then the 2006 versions and all the others that came after were cast. Why else would the 2006 Moabs be lighter?

Last edited:
I would say a good 5 - 10 pounds lighter. Yet they are the same height and width, and they have EXTRA material in the ledges.

I suspect the 2003 - 2005 Moabs were forged, and then the 2006 versions and all the others that came after were cast. Why else would the 2006 Moabs be lighter?
Did you mean to say that the 2006 versions were forged? Forged wheels would be lighter than cast.

I have a 2006 Rubicon with the original Moab wheels. I’ll have to look at the markings on the inside. I would truly be shocked if they were forged.

Did you mean to say that the 2006 versions were forged? Forged wheels would be lighter than cast.

I have a 2006 Rubicon with the original Moab wheels. I’ll have to look at the markings on the inside. I would truly be shocked if they were forged.

Really? I always thought forged wheels would be heavier than cast wheels.

Really? I always thought forged wheels would be heavier than cast wheels.

In most cases a forged wheel will be lighter than cast wheel as Blaine said.

Forged wheels are also generally much more expensive than cast wheels.

In most cases a forged wheel will be lighter than cast wheel as Blaine said.

Forged wheels are also generally much more expensive than cast wheels.
I checked the back of several Moab wheels I have here. They all have a mold number on them. They do that to track mold damage so they can fix it.

Reactions: psrivats
I checked the back of several Moab wheels I have here. They all have a mold number on them. They do that to track mold damage so they can fix it.

I guess that puts the forged idea to rest once and for all.