Are Fox shocks worth it?

kiwi

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Currently running Rancho 5000x 0-2” shocks with my 2” OME lift. Rides pretty good. Looking to go to a 3” lift and get some longer shocks. Specifically looking at the Fox 980-24-643 and 985-24-086, for 2.5-3.5” of lift. My main question is, are these fox shocks worth the price? Don’t have the budget or the need to outboard and have remote reservoirs and what not at the moment, but possibly in the future. So is it worth getting these fox shocks for now or should i just get some longer 5000x’s, and eventually save for some higher end fox’s.
Also, are these shocks tuneable? I’ve heard some say no and some say yes.
TIA

EDIT: Some info about the shocks in question:
The set i’m looking at is on marketplace. It is a set of 4, completely brand new. The owner bought them, but totaled their jeep before they could install (have photos to prove it). They are listed at 400$, could possibly go even lower. This may help others advice my decision. Thanks.

Last edited:
Currently running Rancho 5000x 0-2” shocks with my 2” OME lift. Rides pretty good. Looking to go to a 3” lift and get some longer shocks. Specifically looking at the Fox 980-24-643 and 985-24-086, for 2.5-3.5” of lift. My main question is, are these fox shocks worth the price? Don’t have the budget or the need to outboard and have remote reservoirs and what not at the moment, but possibly in the future. So is it worth getting these fox shocks for now or should i just get some longer 5000x’s, and eventually save for some higher end fox’s.
Also, are these shocks tuneable? I’ve heard some say no and some say yes.
TIA
Which ones?

2.0's? Not in my estimation. I had a set and sold them and went back to Rancho 5000X.

Tunable Resi's? It depends on how much you value the ride quality vs the cost. I have never had a set. I believe the ride quality would definitely beat Rancho 5000X.

Reactions: D M
I've not run them on that size, but the ones I have on my 4" lift ride great. They are limiting my travel, however. The biggest thing I noticed is they don't stack as fast on choppy terrain and the fade is less noticeable.

Reactions: kiwi
I’d assume all 2.0 shocks ride the same no matter what size lift. Waiting on my springs but I am looking to go to 3-3.5” here soon. I was strongly considering Fox 2.0 as well until I read @JMT ’s post about the Tj specific tunes fox shocks and the subpar results he got from them. I wish I had some income to spend on fox to see if I like them, but still buying items for my TT. I think I’m going to go with black max in the rear and find some front shocks after I install springs and cycle the suspension.

I've not run them on that size, but the ones I have on my 4" lift ride great. They are limiting my travel, however. The biggest thing I noticed is they don't stack as fast on choppy terrain and the fade is less noticeable.
I still think the set you have is somewhat unique.

2.0s can be great or awful depending on the tuner behind them. I doubt there is much benefit in a factory bolt on application.

I’ve read around here from Mr Blaine that they can be tuned, I guess one would just have to find a tuner near by for that. Curious… if anyone knows the approximate cost for a 4 shock tune?

Depends on the model of shock and if they were tuned for your preference in feel/ driving type. I have two sets of the Fox shocks one is the performance series 2.0 with reservoir’s just a factory tune on one TJ. then I have a set of the Fox 2.0 factory race series reservoir shocks tuned for the weight on each corner on the second Tj. Both are out boarded. The tuned factory race series are night and day better. And actually we’re a little cheaper then the others that were not tuned to my specific vehicle.

Depends on the model of shock and if they were tuned for your preference in feel/ driving type. I have two sets of the Fox shocks one I’d the performance series 2.0 with reservoir’s just a factory tune, then I have a set of the Fox 2.0 factory race series reservoir shocks tuned for the weight on each corner. They are night and day better. And actually we’re a little cheaper then the others that were not tuned to my specific vehicle.
Even with the weights factored in, there is a wide variety to how a tune can behave. The flutter stack, if there is one to begin with, has dramatic effects.

Even with the weights factored in, there is a wide variety to how a tune can behave. The flutter stack, if there is one to begin with, has dramatic effects.
Again exactly why they need a good tune with input on driving style / terrain also taken into account along with vehicle weight all come into play.

X2 To what @JMT said. I currently run the non-resi Fox 2.0s, definitely stiffer than most like. Ive ridden in friends rigs with the RS5000X's and I think the Rancho's give the best non tunable ride. Rancho's are a lot cheaper too, and if you plan on outboarding Fox 2.0 resi's, then I would run the proper length 5000X's and save for the Resi's. The only reason I am running the non resi 2.0s right now is because I found them slightly used and alot cheaper so I figured Id give them a try. I enjoy a stiffer ride, but these are a bit too stiff to my liking-granted I dont dislike them enough where I want to yank them off and swap Rancho's in.

I’ve read around here from Mr Blaine that they can be tuned, I guess one would just have to find a tuner near by for that. Curious… if anyone knows the approximate cost for a 4 shock tune?
2.0’s can’t be tuned.

Over $2k for a tunable set

EDIT: $1K. I mistyped

Last edited:
Do you like the 5000X? If you do then it's a great choice. I've heard some people say the Fox shocks are only worth it if you get the ones that can be tuned. I'd look at Accutune fot that.

2.0’s can’t be tuned.

Over $2k for a tunable set
I assure you these Fox 2.0 factory race series shocks are tunable and rebuildable

236CB8FA-3965-40A7-A2AB-58E14B22F26C.jpeg

EE08D901-A21D-4CD5-8D6A-6E10F3F6FD9B.jpeg

I’d assume all 2.0 shocks ride the same no matter what size lift. Waiting on my springs but I am looking to go to 3-3.5” here soon. I was strongly considering Fox 2.0 as well until I read @JMT ’s post about the Tj specific tunes fox shocks and the subpar results he got from them. I wish I had some income to spend on fox to see if I like them, but still buying items for my TT. I think I’m going to go with black max in the rear and find some front shocks after I install springs and cycle the suspension.
I’m not pointing the finger at either Fox or Savvy. All I can say is I didn’t like the ride quality. I don’t know who’s fault it is. It doesn’t really matter to me. If you like them, great! If not, great!