Are JK and TJ Dana 44 carriers the same?

starkey480

Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Last edited:
Reactions: Morks
I believe some of them are 32 spline, depending on where they come from. TJ Dana 44 carriers are always 30 spline, though 33 and 35 spline shafts and lockers are available for the TJ aftermarket.

In my rear tj dana 44 I am running the 3.73 and down eaton e locker with thick cut 4.88 gears. If I recall this locker is listed for JK 30 spline all ratios. So it will work fine in the TJ as long as the gear set is correct for it.

"Please note that the 2007+ JK uses the 3.73 & down carrier because of thick gears.

Part numbers:
•3.73 and down gear ratio – 19977-010
•3.92 and up gear ratio – 19969-010"

Reactions: Morks
In my rear tj dana 44 I am running the 3.73 and down eaton e locker with thick cut 4.88 gears. If I recall this locker is listed for JK 30 spline all ratios. So it will work fine in the TJ as long as the gear set is correct for it.

"Please note that the 2007+ JK uses the 3.73 & down carrier because of thick gears.

Part numbers:
•3.73 and down gear ratio – 19977-010
•3.92 and up gear ratio – 19969-010"
Perfect. So he can use it for his standard cut 3.73s now and run thick cut 5.13s with it later?

The JK ring gear is larger in diameter than a TJ 44 and the bolts are larger in diameter for the rear. So it does not fit without grinding the housing and a bunch of other items...pinion wont work either...because its as big as a 60 pinion which causes problems with the carrier.

The JK ring gear is larger in diameter than a TJ 44 and the bolts are larger in diameter for the rear. So it does not fit without grinding the housing and a bunch of other items...pinion wont work either...because its as big as a 60 pinion which causes problems with the carrier.
The guy that’s selling says it’s drilled for both

He is not trying to install JK gears.

He is not trying to install JK gea
My dad is looking at an E locker on Craigslist for a Dana 44 3.73 and down carrier. It appears to be for a JK Will it work in his TJ Dana 44 with 3.73 standard cut gears? Here’s the link to the locker.
https://eastcoastgearsupply.com/i-22802679-dana-44-eaton-e-locker-30-spline-3-73-down.html
edit: this is for a non-rubicon
i and having a similar dilema. I am trying to use tj gears with a jk non rubicon44 grizzly locker. I accidentally bought a used grizzly locker that’s for a jk 44 thinking it was for a tj. The bearing ID seems to be the same and the deck height is the same. The only thing I need to figure out is if the inner diameter will work with the tj ring gear.

My dad is looking at an E locker on Craigslist for a Dana 44 3.73 and down carrier. It appears to be for a JK Will it work in his TJ Dana 44 with 3.73 standard cut gears? Here’s the link to the locker.
[URL][URL]https://eastcoastgearsupply.com/i-22802679-dana-44-eaton-e-locker-30-spline-3-73-down.html[/URL][/URL]

edit: this is for a non-rubicon

Did your dad end up doing this, if so how did it work out? Found a good deal on an e-locker for my 4.88 thick cuts. Thanks!

I figure, like posted before, that it'll work. Same part numbers, one picture says jk and one tj. Called Eaton and they said the same thing, will work without issue.

Hi, has anyone successfully installed jk lockers in a tj Dana 44 housing? My mechanic said he could and I don't think he did it right because the shortened shaft is destroying my axle seal so I'm assuming the alignment is off due to the housing fitment issues... anyone tried this and has a guide or pointers? Thanks!

• Wow
Reactions: John Cooper