TJ Fest 2021
Join us in Moab, Utah from 4/24/2021 to 5/1/2021 for the first annual TJ Fest 2021. Click here for more information.

Are Some Differential Covers Better?

tworley

Bent Currie Club
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
X2. If you dont need the protection stick with your stock cover and just install a lubelocker. That way you dont have to deal with RTV. Each time you change your fluid you can pop the cover and inspect the internals, put it back on with the gasket and fill right away.

Smitty61416

I have a Warn on my rear D44 cover and just received a Rugged Ridge version of it for my front D44, I don't see any differences other than the RR doesn't have the W cut out of it. I got it from eBay at http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5337789113&icep_item=400481680679

I'm replacing my front Barnett diff cover (yes, the horror of that thought) with the stock cover and the RR guard because I've had a very irritating front diff leak since installing it. After multiple, multiple attempts to get the Barnett to stop leaking, I gave up. It even leaked after Blaine sealed at after replacing the front inner seals when I was up there for some other issue. Nope, the leak is not the Rubi D44's drain plug on the bottom, and the housing is not cracked.

In regards to giving up trying to get the leak stopped, I first used a Lubelocker gasket and it leaked. Then Permatex Gear Lube RTV, finally multiple times with Mopar RTV. I've cleaned my driveway one too many times to let it continue leaking... 1-2 drops a day builds up both on the driveway and, ultimately in my brain. My TJ doesn't leak from anywhere else so it doubly bothered me.

My previous Barnett (actually its predecessor from T&J) cover on my previous TJ's rear D44 didn't leak.
I know this is old but was wondering how the RR diff cover protection worked out front and rear. Also wondering if you used the allens or used different bolts to attach it. I was reading reviews and that seems to be one of the complaints, the supplied torx or Allen bolts.

Last edited:

someguysjeep

TJ Addict
Lifetime Supporting Member
not sure where i read this, but supposedly there is a D44 cover that came on older fords, it was said to be thicker and have a higher fill plug than our TJ D44 covers.

Apparition

Notable member
Supporting Member
I would think the reason to use LL is to make it easier to do fluid changes by removing the cover. No need for drain plug then.
That’s exactly why I switched to lube lockers. I’m not scraping old rtv on the trail. It’d be hard to hit though.

0C4490F8-7CB8-4577-A146-8EC4BB2BC3E3.jpeg

Last edited:

TRST

I went with the rugged ridge front and rear and they held up well on our Moab trip. The rear definitely interacted with the rocks and did not cause any leaks. I bought Allen button bolts locally and they now have surface rust. I was careful not to overtighten them for fear of them stripping out when it came time to remove. They came out fine on my last service a few weeks ago.

BuildBreakRepeat

Garrett Hoover
Supporting Member
I went with the rugged ridge front and rear and they held up well on our Moab trip. The rear definitely interacted with the rocks and did not cause any leaks. I bought Allen button bolts locally and they now have surface rust. I was careful not to overtighten them for fear of them stripping out when it came time to remove. They came out fine on my last service a few weeks ago.
Switch those to stainless steel and you will be perfect.