Are the NV3550 and AX-15 bell housings the same?

TreverStevens

Knows enough to be dangerous
Supporting Member
Can anyone tell me if the transmission side of the bell housing is the same between the NV3550 and the AX15? Are the bell housings able to be swapped between the two?

What about the shifter? Is that a plug and play part as well? Same clutch on both I assume since the spline count and shaft length are the same.

I'm shopping online and want to make sure I get anything I might need BEFORE I pull the tranny out.

My understanding is that everything is the same, but there may be some minor differences. If anyone would know it would likely be @mrblaine or @pcoplin. Maybe one of them will chime in, that way you'll get a for sure answer.

About 3 months ago I installed an Advanced Adapters new AX15, replacing my old NV3550. The shifter will not transfer over, you will have to find a new one. The reverse light switch is also different, but the AA came with a new one that plugged right in. The bell housing is the same, clutch and flywheel same and the np231 was a direct bolt on as well. Overall very easy swap.

For the shifter, I went with a B&M short throw shifter. Its very tight, but I like it.

About 3 months ago I installed an Advanced Adapters new AX15, replacing my old NV3550. The shifter will not transfer over, you will have to find a new one. The reverse light switch is also different, but the AA came with a new one that plugged right in. The bell housing is the same, clutch and flywheel same and the np231 was a direct bolt on as well. Overall very easy swap.

For the shifter, I went with a B&M short throw shifter. Its very tight, but I like it.

I am interested in knowing why you switched over.

Correct me if I’m wrong here as I’m still trying to learn about replacing an nv3550 with an ax15. If the ax15 has an external slave and then nv3550 has an internal do I need to/can I buy a complete master/Slave cylinder set up for the ax15 and will it bolt right in with the same mounting holes on my firewall? I have a 2001 4.0L by the way.

I am interested in knowing why you switched over.
Totally missed this, but if you are still interested the nv3550 was failing. Hard shifting, wouldn't stay in 5th. It was very unpleasant to drive