Are these rock sliders steps running boards or a little bit of each?

JEEPCJTJ

TJ Expert
Supporting Member
Half way between Pittsburgh and Cleveland
They seem pretty heavy duty and never bolted to anything. They don't mount to the body but I think they would touch the Rubicon rock sliders which would give some added strength if/when pushed up. I like that they have tapered caps on each end. The seller is asking $60 for the pair I was thinking of offering $40 tomorrow and see where it goes.

IMG_20190913_134221125_HDR.jpg

Lots of people have run those, the manufacturer is Body Armor I think. The tub mounted sliders are better for a lot of reasons but if you don't want to remove the oem Rubicon sliders these are your best bet

I could have sworn that I used some commas in my thread title, maybe not, and maybe "each" was a weird word too.

Are these rock sliders, steps, running boards or a little bit of all three?

Anyway I'm glad IPerkWVU thinks they're the best way when keeping the Rubicon sliders on.

I hope jjvw's main message is that they "get in the way" of rocks hitting the tub, but I realize how they mount might put them in the way of doing major rock climbing stuff. I'm in the land of mud and rust so that's not a huge deal breaker.

I'm kinda surprised that I don't have at least someone telling me to never have anything like those, ever.

I didn't buy them yet, so there's still a chance for that. :p

They are better steps than they are sliders. The step is lower, making it actually more useful for that purpose than a body mounted step.

While they will most certainly slide over rocks, they occupy a physical space that is better left empty before the need to slide begins. And the leverage off of only the body mount also makes them weaker than a tub mounted slider that wraps the body. Meaning that if you land the weight of the Jeep on these, there is the possibility that they will bend up into the tub.

These are an aesthetically tougher looking version of a the common tube step nerf bar. And these are still steps that get in the way of the rocks.

What matters here is what you want from them and how well they will serve that purpose. Do you want steps that, despite getting in the way on occasion, actually work as a step? Or do you want a rock slider that doesn't get in the way until it needs to do it's job if protecting the body?

Last edited:
Reactions: IPerkWVU
I went back to the swap meet today and wanted to double check that they fit. When I measured the body mounts on my TJ I noticed that the ones towards the front were about 3/4" higher than the others but it the longer ones on these things, which I think are the fronts, are lower. I don't think I'd want to mount them upside down or maybe I'd need a body lift. Either way doesn't matter because they were sold 45 minutes before I got to where they were.

Saved me $50 give or take $10.