Are these shocks going to be too long?

mcarthey

I’m looking at the Rough Country 2.5” suspension coils and wanted to confirm they will also level. So the rep I spoke with said, yes, it levels the vehicle with a 1” rear and 2.5” front lift. Great.
I want to add different shocks, so am going with a set of 4 Rancho RS5000 hydros which state they are good for 2.5-4” of lift.
But now I’m wondering... are those Rancho shocks going to be too long for the rear or do they account for that when listing them? 🤔

You shouldnt buy a shock based on "x amount of lift", it would be wiser to set your bumpstops and measure off your collapsed length on the bumps. Order off that (collapsed) number

Reactions: rasband and tworley
and the Rancho 5000 hydro shocks SUCK!!! You want the 5000x model Rancho.
Yes I cannot stress this enough! I had the hydraulic 5000 and they were teeth shattering. Any bump in the road small or large would feel like someone kicked me in the ass with steeltoe boots. Im in the process of un-fucking the POs setup and I dont want anyone to have to know what my old ride quality was like

You shouldnt buy a shock based on "x amount of lift", it would be wiser to set your bumpstops and measure off your collapsed length on the bumps. Order off that (collapsed) number

X2

and the Rancho 5000 hydro shocks SUCK!!! You want the 5000x model Rancho.

Yes, get the 5000X. That X makes a huge difference.

Reactions: CodaMan and D M
Thanks, I wasn’t aware of this. Does this mean I need to effectively take everything apart, take the measurement, and then order the shocks?

EDIT: I did find this nice article on this site. Also is it worth using a hydro/nitrogen bump stop? They seem to provide a much smoother ride, which is always a nice thing in these older Jeeps.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/how-to-set-your-bump-stop-on-a-jeep-wrangler-tj.2474/

Last edited:
Reactions: D M
No sorry for the confusion. I called Rough Country because I wanted to know if their 2.5" lift coil springs also leveled or whether I'd need to get leveling pucks as well. They told me that they both lift and level because they aren't a straight 2.5" lift across both front and rear. They provide the equivalent of a 2.5" lift in the rear and 1" in the front. Hence, they lift and level. I hope that's more clear.
Ok...but I'm still confused at what you're trying to do.

Use a 1" spring in the back and a 2.5 in the front?

No sorry for the confusion. I called Rough Country because I wanted to know if their 2.5" lift coil springs also leveled or whether I'd need to get leveling pucks as well. They told me that they both lift and level because they aren't a straight 2.5" lift across both front and rear. They provide the equivalent of a 2.5" lift in the rear and 1" in the front. Hence, they lift and level. I hope that's more clear.
See my build for my 2.5" lift (click my signature link below). It's better than an RC lift and explains it all.