Are these the correct rear brake hoses for a 2005 Rubicon?

conlopez

Are these the correct rear brake hoses for a 2005 Rubicon? I'm confused because it comes with all that metal line and the rubber part looks a lot shorter than the ones I have now.

https://www.quadratec.com/products/56211_27.htm
https://www.quadratec.com/products/56211_28.htm
I replaced the front 2 brake hoses with extended Duralast ones because that's all I could get at the autoparts store and I had a seized caliper due to a failed brake hose, are the Duralast ones good quality? I plan on replacing the rears to so it doesn't happen again since those are just as old.

Yes, those are the correct ones for your 05. I think for the driver side, "#######AC" is the 3rd iteration

I thought only TJ's with drum brakes had those?
No, there's a soft line that starts around the driver upper control arm mount and ends at the axle. Trace it and you'll see this includes a distribution block where the axle breather bolts it down to the axle.

Don't forget the body to axle soft line.
No, there's a soft line that starts around the driver upper control arm mount and ends at the axle. Trace it and you'll see this includes a distribution block where the axle breather bolts it down to the axle.

I can't find where to buy the axle line your talking about, only the 2 rear hoses. Can you link it?

If you're looking for extended lines this is the one to extend. Your axle to caliper lines don't move.
Only the front 2 brake hoses need to be extended right?

I was confusing the brake hoses with the parking brake lines, I didn't give it a good enough look. The rear calipers have a very short, maybe 4 or 5 inch section of soft line connected to the hard line.

I see the Crown Automotive one replaces all of the hard line as well, so does that all come in one piece and therefore have to be replaced together?

I found the middle axle hose that is near the upper control arm mount you mentioned. Is this the correct replacement? https://www.quadratec.com/products/52449_1225.htm
It doesn't specify Rubicon like the caliper ones do but I assume that is the one.

maybe @mrblaine could chime in

Last edited:
That's the one. One thing to check is make sure you're caliper hoses come with new copper washers.

That's the one. One thing to check is make sure you're caliper hoses come with new copper washers.
I was about to order all 3 of those from Quadratech but they wouldn't come for almost 2 weeks. When I look that part number up at Autozone, this is what comes up
https://www.autozone.com/brakes-and...ke-hose/duralast-brake-hose-777222/366915_0_0
There is no hard line at least in the picture like the Crown Automotive one. Can I replace just the hose with that Duralast one or are they one piece and you have to have the hard line? I need something I can get fast.

For TJs with rear discs, the hoses at the calipers cannot be replaced alone unless you also cut and flare the hardline. As far as I’m aware, the only other option is the previously posted Crown lines, post #1.

I have a set of the Crown lines but haven’t yet gotten around to installing them.

Reactions: conlopez
For TJs with rear discs, the hoses at the calipers cannot be replaced alone unless you also cut and flare the hardline. As far as I’m aware, the only other option is the previously posted Crown lines, post #1.

I have a set of the Crown lines but haven’t yet gotten around to installing them.
Damn, I was hoping to be able to replace those when I install my black magic brake pads and centric rotors from @mrblaine. One of my front hoses went bad and seized my caliper, but before that the pedal was always very stiff and replacing those front 2 brake hoses softened the pedal up a bit.

Although it is softer then it was before, it is still pretty stiff. My suspicion is the same thing is happening to the rear brake hoses and replacing those would make the pedal feel normal.

The pedal makes a "whoosh" sound when you hit the brakes hard, sounds like a balloon being inflated or something. Not sure if this is normal or not. I have not heard that from any other vehicles before so I would assume it's not normal.

I guess I will order those 3 brake hoses from Quadratec.

Damn, I was hoping to be able to replace those when I install my black magic brake pads and centric rotors from @mrblaine. One of my front hoses went bad and seized my caliper, but before that the pedal was always very stiff and replacing those front 2 brake hoses softened the pedal up a bit.

Although it is softer then it was before, it is still pretty stiff. My suspicion is the same thing is happening to the rear brake hoses and replacing those would make the pedal feel normal.

The pedal makes a "whoosh" sound when you hit the brakes hard, sounds like a balloon being inflated or something. Not sure if this is normal or not. I have not heard that from any other vehicles before so I would assume it's not normal.

I guess I will order those 3 brake hoses from Quadratec.
Check the flex hose on the control arm. If the clamp is rusty, it can close that line off.

I think in the back of all our minds, we're saying "this poor SOB is going to end up replacing all his brake lines"...

• Wow