Are Warn winches really made in the USA?

Billwynburger

TJ Enthusiast
Jun 1, 2018
virginia
I was recently doing some research on winches. From my research warn winches are manufactured in China? The hubs are made in Oregon Really? I thought for sure Warn was 100% American made what happened?

ac_

zombicon
Supporting Member
Jun 15, 2017
AZ, United States
My m8000 is made in US, but the solenoid pack came from china. It was really weird. When I bought my m8000 it came with a bag of nuts and bolts and not instructions and nothing really matched. Half of it was metric and half was standard. The standard stuff worked on the winch motor, but not the anything that had to do with the solenoid box. The bag of nuts and bolts was just a random bag of nuts and bolts - meaning there was wasn't any complete set of anything, and it came with nuts and bolts that didn't even fit anything on the winch. It baffled me.

Also I bought a Warn winch cover, and it came from china. Not near as nice as the old ones that came from warn years ago.

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 28, 2015
Salem, Oregon
Man, it's hard to tell these days with so many companies using the whole "Made in the USA from globally sourced parts" thing.

It wouldn't surprise me if the electronics for Warn winches were made in China. I'm not even sure the US manufactures electronics at all... Well, not that I know of at least.

Ranger_b0b

Rust Belt Heavyweight
Supporting Member
Feb 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI, United States
Man, it's hard to tell these days with so many companies using the whole "Made in the USA from globally sourced parts" thing.

It wouldn't surprise me if the electronics for Warn winches were made in China. I'm not even sure the US manufactures electronics at all... Well, not that I know of at least.
They do, but not a lot of Mass Market Stuff. We manufacture electronics, our board are built in the states, but all the chipsets and components come from overseas

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 28, 2015
Salem, Oregon
They do, but not a lot of Mass Market Stuff. We manufacture electronics, our board are built in the states, but all the chipsets and components come from overseas
Makes sense. I was thinking that too, that most of the chipsets and components come from overseas. It’s pretty much impossible to get anything that is 100% made in the USA.

Ranger_b0b

Rust Belt Heavyweight
Supporting Member
Feb 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI, United States
Makes sense. I was thinking that too, that most of the chipsets and components come from overseas. It’s pretty much impossible to get anything that is 100% made in the USA.
Our products are very specialized as well. Not necessarily design and build, but very narrow market reach. That is where you find most of the made in USA stuff. The product is driven by features not price (to an extent). Any consumer thing, unless its a luxury item, is driven by price, so it will generally be made overseas.

OP
OP
Billwynburger

Billwynburger

TJ Enthusiast
Jun 1, 2018
virginia
A little off topic: Ever hear of a ROKON? It's a 2x2 adult minibike. Since I like to solo it's a toy I have targeted for retirement. They are very expensive, it says they are 100% made in the USA but I seriously doubt that especially after reading all of this. It seems like I can't hardly buy a cheese burger made in the U.S. anymore.

OP
OP
Billwynburger

Billwynburger

TJ Enthusiast
Jun 1, 2018
virginia
Leupold binoculars ..... Korea, China, and Japan.
Contacted them and asked.
I remember when Lionel Trains packed up and left Michigan to set up shop in Mexico. It was an all american icon toy I grew up with and my father grew up with and my grandfather grew up with. It still chaps my ass they left the USA sons a b****es.

FireJeep

TJ Enthusiast
Jan 4, 2018
Virginia
Buy an older Warn winch, they are pretty easy to rebuild if it needs it (most of the time they just need to be cleaned up and lubed). You can get parts for the older ones pretty easily, since the design really has not changed much..... My X8000 was neglected out in the weather and not used (that is the worst thing for a winch, not use it and it will seize up.....) it took all of about 4 hours to dis-assemble it, clean it, lube it and put back together again.... works like a champ....

Donations

Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum's operating expenses are primarily paid by the generous contributions of members.

Donate

Ride of the Month

Congratulations to Kiwi TJ for winning the November 2018 Ride of the Month!

November 2018 Ride of the Month

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TruckerDawgTJ63