Are you worried about Warn M8000 and water?

Hopper

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Aren't you all with the Warn M8000 worried water messing it up???
Buying a winch soon and the m8000 is at the top of my budget. I have little knowledge of winches. Also looking at Engo for the budget.
I do not off road alot but when I do it often is spur of the moment with no other jeep or vehicle.

Buying a winch soon and the m8000 is at the top of my budget. I have little knowledge of winches. Also looking at Engo for the budget.
I do not off road alot but when I do it often is spur of the moment with no other jeep or vehicle.
Have never submerged it in a water crossing but it has seen lots of water all over it and no problems to date.

Reactions: Chris

Not at all.

From https://www.roundforge.com/articles/warn-m8000-and-m8-winch/#Is_the_Warn_M8000_Waterproof?_

• Is the Warn M8000 Waterproof?
    No.
    There are various reasons that it's not waterproof, but it boils down to the fact that it's planetary gear winch with no seals at the sides of the drum. There are waterproof planetary winches, but they are "extreme duty" winches or ATV winches.
    And let's face it:
    This is a pretty cheap winch, so we can't get everything.
    But does it matter that the M8000 isn't waterproof?
    For most normal people, no, it doesn't. It just means that, as with any winch, you need to do a little maintenance. You can do a few things to increase its longevity if it sees water:
    • Use a good moly grease on the internals that is water resistant and suited for your local temperatures.
    • Run the winch on freespool after dunking it. The heat from the motor will help dry it out.
    • Consider switching to a contactor pack instead of solenoids. Contactors will be more water resistant than solenoids. [Note: The current M8000 is already upgraded to a contactor pack at the factory.]
    • Strip your winch down and clean it if you've been in particularly muddy or silty water. Sand, silt, and grit will destroy your motor and gears.

I had water intrusion on mine that caused the sliding ring gear to rust and seize to the housing. This prevented using free spool. I bought a new housing and am rebuilding it. Once I get it all back together I plan on getting a winch cover for when it sits parked and then also engaging the free spool once a week to keep that gear nice and lubed up.

Reactions: Hopper and matkal
Not me, this is my old YJ that I gave to my son. This M8000 was originally bought for my Toyota 4x4 pickup back in the mid 1980's. Yea I am that old :)

deep.jpg

deep1.jpg

I'd worry about salt water but not fresh water.

Reactions: Hopper
I have never worried about water intrusion in any winch I’ve owned and have crossed many deep creeks/streams but I always completely unspool and re-spool the winch line after every wheeling trip involving deep water. By doing so it will warm up the internals enough to dry out any water. I also like to dismantle, clean and re-lube the gears at least every couple of years.
I think the worst thing you can do to a winch is just let it sit for months or even years without using it.