Arghhh!

StG58

TJ Guru
Supporting Member
I'm heading out in the TJ. Don't know where I'm going, maybe east, maybe west...I'll see after I get a cup of Dutch Brothers.

Been stuck in the house all weekend (I work 4-10's, so I have three day weekends) doing laundry and house stuff and I'm going stir crazy! Just like an old dog scratching at the back door to get out. 15 minutes to load all my junk in the Jeep and I'm out of here!

Promised the Wife I would stay on the blacktop today. She has some stuff going on with her Dad, and has spent most of the last week helping her Mom with that. Got a full tank of gas minus a couple of gallons or so, so I was good.

Good road trip today, even though it was all on asphalt. I stuck to roads that at least at some point had a hard surface at some point in the past. Promised the wife after all.

Started out with the radio station playing "Kill the Rooster". That got me all fired up. Got my Mocha at Dutch Bro's on the way out of town. The radio played "The Immigrant Song". That got me even more fired up, and I hit the back roads heading west. I popped in Uriah Heep and turned the tunes up way to loud. Saw a pair of Bald Eagles hunting a wetlands. Then I saw a pair of snowy egrets doing the same thing up the road a ways. It was blowing and raining, the Jeep was purring down the back roads and life was good! Got up into the Coast Range and the rain was coming down and the wind was blowing. I'd been thinking of my Dad, my Grandfathers and my northern European cultural heritage. The rain poured, the wind blew and the Jeep purred. I'm afraid I flogged it out a little climbing through the hills. Thought about cultural diversity and my forefathers. Thought about our current PC culture. Popped in Pink Floyd "A Momentary lapse of Reason" and turned the radio up a little more. The Jeep purred along.

Stopped for a bio break and examined a recent kill along side the road. (I swear, at one point in time that road had some sort of a hard surface on it.) Something had picked off a fairly good sized Elk and consumed it in the last several days. Checked out the local area and saw Cougar and Bear tracks. Fresh, recent type bear tracks. The Cougar tracks were a little older.

Started dropping down out of the Coast Range towards civilization, popped in some German Industrial Rock. (Ramstein) Wandered through some of my old stomping grounds from when I was growing up. Lots of roads with names like Aasgaard Rd., Halvden Lane & etc. Didn't help my ruminations any.

Got to the coast and headed for the ocean. It was blowing about 35 - 40 mph at that time and raining in sheets. Parked on the jetty out where the seas were breaking and putting salt spray over the rocks. Sat there for a few minutes and felt the wind and rain buffet the Jeep. Had to get out and FEEL that weather for myself, not just let the tj take the brunt of it for me. Jumped out and the wind almost blew me over. Walked in front of the Jeep. Felt the wind try to blow me around. Felt the sting of the blown rain on my face. Tasted salt on my lips. I felt ALIVE! Threw my coat into the back of the Jeep and walked back to where I was. I needed to feel the rock under my feet and the weather buffet ME around. I raised my arms and roared out a victory roar. Life IS good. Scared the crap out of a young couple down the way a little ways, I'm afraid. Californians have no sense of humor these days. (Prius with California plates) They left. In a hurry. Wish I knew a Viking victory song to sing.

Got back into the Jeep and headed North. Poked into some more of my old stomping grounds from days gone past. The spirits of my forefathers were content and quite and I was happy. Came home with a smile on my face.

Good road trip. (does all of this make me a bad person or crazy? Hmmm...)

Reactions: TJ Starting
Sounds like an interesting road trip to day the least. I actually tend to like the Oregon Coast this time of year. Most people avoid it, but I like it!

I love the north Oregon coast. It's still pretty wild in some places. Try the Nestucca river highway some time for a pretty trip to the beach. Head out to Carlton, go through town, and head out on Meadowlake road. It takes you through the Coast Range to Beaver. Lots of fsr's and jeep trails up that way. Lots of wildlife to see, and a couple of lakes to fish in. If you like camping, pick a tree and set up camp. It's almost all forest service and blm land.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I guess that I should edit my post about the trip to something less controversial, but what the hey. If someone has an issue with it, they can tell about it.

I love the north Oregon coast. It's still pretty wild in some places. Try the Nestucca river highway some time for a pretty trip to the beach. Head out to Carlton, go through town, and head out on Meadowlake road. It takes you through the Coast Range to Beaver. Lots of fsr's and jeep trails up that way. Lots of wildlife to see, and a couple of lakes to fish in. If you like camping, pick a tree and set up camp. It's almost all forest service and blm land.

I've taken that way before many times, it's very pretty. We usually go out to Pacific City or Neskowin where we frequently stay, it's very beautiful out there.

I guess that I should edit my post about the trip to something less controversial, but what the hey. If someone has an issue with it, they can tell about it.

Eh, it's the Internet, I figure if people are offended they can either ignore it or maybe they just shouldn't be on the Internet to begin with.

Eh, it's the Internet, I figure if people are offended they can either ignore it or maybe they just shouldn't be on the Internet to begin with.

I'm really starting to feel like that myself. I've been bugged about this whole left multi-cultural thing over the last few weeks. Don't do that, don't say this, embrace those things. What about MY cultural heritage? There's a lot there both good and bad. It works for ME. No one else needs to embrace it, or even accept it as their own. It's my heritage after all and my culture. I'm not trying to sell anyone on it. It's the best culture for me, another may work better for you. That's fine.

Reactions: johnny deeker
We were just talking last night (my Dad and I) about how stupid it is these days that people get offended at the littlest things.

Case in point: My partner and I created this billboard for a credit union up in Longview, Washington that we do work for. Anyways, the billboard had a cloud with some sun rays breaking through it. The line on the billboard said: "Let us restore your faith in credit unions".

It looked good, it was catchy, and from a marketing perspective it worked. Guess what happened after the billboard went up? ONE person called into the credit union and was freaking out because according to them the billboard had 'religious meaning' to it and they were offended that the credit union was promoting religion.

I assure you that having designed that billboard it had NO RELIGIOUS MEANING WHATSOEVER. The credit union decided to take it down over one person (I wouldn't have made that call personally).

All I kept thinking is what kind of dumb fuck (pardon my French) has nothing better to do than call in and complain about a fucking billboard? Seriously... I mean the people who are out there these days who get offended by all this little shit?! It's like live your life and if something bothers you just ignore it and move on.

Wouldn't have taken it down either. It's a basic human right to speak your mind, even if it is stupid and offensive. Especially if it is stupid and offensive. Lots of talk and pressure over diversity, but that sword cuts on both edges. Doesn't it? Shouldn't it? Nobody has ever said that you have a right to be free from being offended, until very recently. Now there is a whole industry based on not being offended. The PC Culture is going to kill us eventually.

Reactions: Chris
I agree 100%. The PC culture pisses me off like none other, it's just so lame.

Seems like every single day I read the news there's something about some company having to remove this or that because it offended some small group of people.

Nice road trip. I agree tolerance is key and I try to practice that. But that doesn't mean I am going to adopt a poorly thought out viewpoint just because some fool thinks I should. I find these short trips and good and I listen to the news never and radio less.
When I was a student we learned that as people get older they disengage. Now I am doing it. Keep those you love around. My irish grandmother used to smile and say" let them tear away." But then again if someone gives me the finger I smile and wave. Plays with their heads....I see them looking in their mirrors asking themselves, do I know that guy?"
Makes me laugh every time.

I think we're wondering how you even managed to dig up a 6 year old thread though in the first place :LOL:

Reactions: Zorba