Arizona Rock Crawling Daily Driver

Right. The pumpkin joint would get cut off, truss welded on, and then that larger mount on top of that. It’s not welded in the picture that’s why it’s the wrong way. It’s just sitting there.

Right now yes. The goal was 3 links plus a track bar.
If I hadn't already done it with zero issues, I never would have jumped through my ass to get you the parts to do it.

The question you asked was "what if there is an issue and I replied that you "could" raise the rear of the upper to compensate, not that you should or you would have an issue.

It was going to be very simple before I figured out I couldn’t get the joint as low as the oem one. I was going to cut off the inboard side of the frame mount and make a new one with flat bar that came out wider to accommodate the joint. Then just sub out that axle mount for the bigger one on the truss. But I think the closest I can get this mount to stock height is about 1/2” or a little more above stock. That’s with the truss touching the top of the diff and 1/8” space below the joint body and the truss.
That is the problem with playing with all the link calculators and geometry bullshit to think you now understand how it all works. Trust me, that 1/2" disparity is not a consequence that will matter.

He must have done something shitty to you because god fucking knows you don't do nice things for folks who go out of their way to help your dumbass.
Get over it blaine. I had no intention of shitting on you or anything related to you. I stated a fact about the relationship between the left and right knuckles. I am sorry for any inconvenience I caused by stating a fact. your axle has been replaced, pending return to you. Thank you for offering to help, I think it’s silly of you to act this way over what I said.

That is the problem with playing with all the link calculators and geometry bullshit to think you now understand how it all works. Trust me, that 1/2" disparity is not a consequence that will matter.
That’s good to know. The problem wasn’t that I think I understand how it works, the problem was I don’t know how it works so I wasn’t ready to mess with it yet until I could get clearer understanding. If you say raising it that little bit doesn’t matter then I’m all in.

For the rear at least why try for stock? The link separation at the axle is on the low side for 35s so I would try increase that and adjust the frame side to work with it.

Get over it blaine. I had no intention of shitting on you or anything related to you. I stated a fact about the relationship between the left and right knuckles. I am sorry for any inconvenience I caused by stating a fact. your axle has been replaced, pending return to you. Thank you for offering to help, I think it’s silly of you to act this way over what I said.
Fuck off, and not just a little off, all the way off.

Per your typical clueless manner, what you missed is that while there is truth to the fact that the draglink can be bent, the exposure to the rocks is very much more limited due to the draglink attaching at a nice angle which holds most of it up higher thus reducing the likelihood of contact with immoveable objects. The tie rod on the other hand is 35" long not including the ends and run fairly parallel to the axle tube across most of the axle. That is a much higher level of exposure to immoveable objects and a product that resists bending in that area is not a bad thing regardless of what the draglink can or can NOT handle.

It is the same concept as raising the body mounts on the side of the frame. Is that going to stop them from getting tagged in the rocks? No it will not, but what it does do is dramatically slow down contact because you have changed the level of exposure by moving them into the shadow created by the tub slider and frame.

Also similar to your rear lower Dana 44 bolts. You can't get them out of the rocks, so you have to protect them. If you weld on a hard faced skid before it gets bad, then you increase the viability of the housing over a longer period of time.

Dumbass

Reactions: Lou
For the rear at least why try for stock? The link separation at the axle is on the low side for 35s so I would try increase that and adjust the frame side to work with it.
This is the front axle not the rear. I’m not really trying to change the front geometry since it works fine aside from the steep lower arm angles at full droop. That would be better fixed with a midarm. The goals of the short arm front 3 link are to:
-Cut off and replace the ugly truss
- it’s unique and kinda neat
- no bind through articulation
- bigger joints
- easier pinion adjustment

But honestly mostly because it’s fun and unique.

This is the front axle not the rear. I’m not really trying to change the front geometry since it works fine aside from the steep lower arm angles at full droop. That would be better fixed with a midarm. The goals of the short arm front 3 link are to:
- bigger joints

Ok so guess I missed that but since you are there you might as well make some improvements. There is enough room in the brackets to lower the frame side of the lower arm by an inch which decreases the arm angle by about seven degrees. I would not stress as much on the axle side of the upper as it would not hurt to increase the arm separation going to a three link. For the frame side of the upper shoot for parallel or just a touch of antidive if it helps with packaging. This will give you close to the same geometry as the mid arm minus the arm length.

- bigger joints

Not to mention, it will be easy and inexpensive!

- bigger joints

Reason enough for me. I'd totally do this if I felt like messing around with replacing the JJ mount.

Are you going to use the factory frame mount for the single upper control arm? Any gussets?
I would reuse half the frame mount for the single upper. It needs to be wider for the larger joint, so I would replace the inboard side
C0DE822F-FB0A-46D0-9E9F-49222A8A0189.jpeg

Also similar to your rear lower Dana 44 bolts. You can't get them out of the rocks, so you have to protect them. If you weld on a hard faced skid before it gets bad, then you increase the viability of the housing over a longer period of time.
Do you mean the rear axle diff cover bolts? got a picture of said skid? I drag a lot and would like to increase the viability of the housing over a longer period of time.