Arizona Rock Crawling Daily Driver

c86668b592b376bb0c704c80d79f0197.gif

While I recover my bank account from buying a house, and while it is too hot to wheel, I started operation pavement princess for some free/cheap daily driver improvements. I typically have the top off and half doors on all year until it’s consistently hotter than 100 out. Now that I have my top on, a lot of things bother me that didn’t before. My Jeep smells like gear oil from spilling a little bit in the carpet, I’ve got a thick layer of dust on everything, my control arms creak, my top rattles, I’ve got a rattling coming from the glovebox area, and I’ve got an idle vibration that I can see now is from blown out motor mounts.

My goal is to make my Jeep feel nice and comfortable for my daily drive over the summer.

So far I have:
Washed and detailed the Jeep.

Pulled all the carpet out and cleaned the tub.

Washed the carpet and wiped down the seat covers.

Added some adhesive backed foam to the tab on the soft top frame that attaches above the doors for the sunroof feature. That stopped the rattle there.

Found the rattle from the “glovebox” was actually a relay rattling against the firewall under the hood. Fixed that.

Greased all my Johnny joints in the front end.

All I have left is greasing the rear control arms and replacing the bushings in my motor mounts. Luckily the brown dog factory is 5 minutes from my house so I went and grabbed some bushings for $15. Ultimately I would like to go back to mopar motor mounts with a 1” block under them.

It is insane how much nicer a quiet and clean jeep feels to drive. Sound impacts the driving experience a lot.

My next major project coming up will be my rear 4 link midarm. I will probably tackle that in August when I’m taking a break from training.

While I recover my bank account from buying a house, and while it is too hot to wheel, I started operation pavement princess for some free/cheap daily driver improvements. I typically have the top off and half doors on all year until it’s consistently hotter than 100 out. Now that I have my top on, a lot of things bother me that didn’t before. My Jeep smells like gear oil from spilling a little bit in the carpet, I’ve got a thick layer of dust on everything, my control arms creak, my top rattles, I’ve got a rattling coming from the glovebox area, and I’ve got an idle vibration that I can see now is from blown out motor mounts.

My goal is to make my Jeep feel nice and comfortable for my daily drive over the summer.

So far I have:

Added some adhesive backed foam to the tab on the soft top frame that attaches above the doors for the sunroof feature. That stopped the rattle there.

Found the rattle from the “glovebox” was actually a relay rattling against the firewall under the hood. Fixed that.

All I have left is greasing the rear control arms and replacing the bushings in my motor mounts. Luckily the brown dog factory is 5 minutes from my house so I went and grabbed some bushings for $15. Ultimately I would like to go back to mopar motor mounts with a 1” block under them.

It is insane how much nicer a quiet and clean jeep feels to drive. Sound impacts the driving experience a lot.

My next major project coming up will be my rear 4 link midarm. I will probably tackle that in August when I’m taking a break from training.

I need to make myself a list like this, i have so many clunks and rattles right now.

So far I have:

I put the Bedrug faux carpet in last fall and have been really pleased with it if the carpet smell lingers. It’s gotten rained on a few times and vacuums up super easy. Honestly can’t recommend it enough if your carpet is kinda old and haggard. I didn’t realize how much I’d appreciate the freshening up on the inside.

I put the Bedrug faux carpet in last fall and have been really pleased with it if the carpet smell lingers. It’s gotten rained on a few times and vacuums up super easy. Honestly can’t recommend it enough if your carpet is kinda old and haggard. I didn’t realize how much I’d appreciate the freshening up on the inside.

Yeah I would really like to do that at some point. It’s definitely on the list. The stock grey carpet is pretty gross. Does the bed rug do a better job of noise insulation?

Yeah I would really like to do that at some point. It’s definitely on the list. The stock grey carpet is pretty gross. Does the bed rug do a better job of noise insulation?

I will go against the grain here and say Bedrug is not worth the money. I say that as someone that has had it for 3-4years. The PO of my jeep had dogs and no amount of cleaning/detailing could get the smell out entirely. I bought the bedrug after reading all the glowing reviews here and when I got it, I was like "that's what people raving about online? why?"

It looks nice, but it is very lightweight and kinda feels like foam. It will not insulate heat or noise much at all by itself. It is easy to vacuum out since it doesn't have a pile like a carpet does (which is why it dries out easy if rained or spilled on). If I were to do this again, I will go 100% with a good quality carpet and take it to a upholstery shop to get it installed properly.

Strongly recommend that you physically see a jeep with the bedrug installed before deciding to purchase. At the very least get a sample from them if they do that, don't remember if they do that.

Reactions: L J

It’s alright at noise insulation. It’s hard to say for sure because I put down some butyl rubber insulation underneath it. The combination does a pretty decent job. It’s definitely not real carpet, but that’s what I wanted over cloth fabric carpet that absorbs moisture and smells.

Reactions: pc1p
I will go against the grain here and say Bedrug is not worth the money. I say that as someone that has had it for 3-4years. The PO of my jeep had dogs and no amount of cleaning/detailing could get the smell out entirely. I bought the bedrug after reading all the glowing reviews here and when I got it, I was like "that's what people raving about online? why?"

It looks nice, but it is very lightweight and kinda feels like foam. It will not insulate heat or noise much at all by itself. It is easy to vacuum out since it doesn't have a pile like a carpet does (which is why it dries out easy if rained or spilled on). If I were to do this again, I will go 100% with a good quality carpet and take it to a upholstery shop to get it installed properly.

Strongly recommend that you physically see a jeep with the bedrug installed before deciding to purchase. At the very least get a sample from them if they do that, don't remember if they do that.

What did you use to clean the BedRug?

It's essentially 100% polypropylene - not a whole lot that will chemically or physically stick to it.

From a cost perspective, it seemed only marginally more expensive than a comparable replacement carpet kit (at least when I bought mine a few years ago).

It's essentially 100% polypropylene - not a whole lot that will chemically or physically stick to it.

From a cost perspective, it seemed only marginally more expensive than a comparable replacement carpet kit (at least when I bought mine a few years ago).

Did you do anything with your seats? Are you still running the same top? This is for psrivats, not pc1p. Those will both hold a lot of stench in. Bed rug, by nature of design, is kinda incapable of containing much of a smell. It’s recycled plastic bottles.

Did you do anything with your seats? Are you still running the same top? This is for psrivats, not pc1p. Those will both hold a lot of stench in. Bed rug, by nature of design, is kinda incapable of containing much of a smell. It’s recycled plastic bottles.

Seats got professionally cleaned, I have both the hard and soft tops., and both got cleaned professionally as well. The old carpet was done and it had to go.

Agree, bed rug does not seem to hold much smell.

Reactions: TRE3TOP

To be clear - I have no smell issues with the bedrug. What I described was the old carpet if it wasn't clear.

I just am not a fan of the material that the bedrug is made of. I simply prefer good quality carpet.

Seats got professionally cleaned, I have both the hard and soft tops., and both got cleaned professionally as well. The old carpet was done and it had to go.

Agree, bed rug does not seem to hold much smell.

And you’re still smelling their old dogs or have you gotten rid of the smell?

I replaced my old carpet in the lj with a bedrug kit too. I get a decent amount of rain where I am and the factory style carpet retains that water if the top leaks any or I get caught in the rain with out windows. The bedbug dries quickly, removes quickly for a deep clean too.

It's not as good as carpet from an insulation standpoint but does a pretty good job. A decent enough job that I have no complaints. It's also harder to stain because of what it's made of. With kids riding in my jeep that was a big plus as well.