So the last couple of days, my project has been extending the front upper shock towers to fit my new to me tuned 11.5” travel fox shocks I got from Blaine. Even with my poly outboard lower mounts on the axle, they were still a little long.
I set them up for 6” of uptravel and 5.5” of downtravel. My reasoning was that my springs unseat at 5.5” of downtravel so much more than that is fairly pointless, as well as I still have short arms up front. I think on the RJ 4” lift, 5.5” of downtravel is about the most I am comfortable with because the arm angle gets fairly steep there.
I ran an idea by Blaine to extend my towers, and Blaine countered my idea with a better idea (go figure) . We used a cutoff set of stock shock towers to extend mine. The idea was to make it look unmodified.
View attachment 346313
First step was making a setup stick. Since these shocks just have bushings and not heims, I didn’t get fancy with it like I will the rear. I just cut a stick to the length I wanted my shock to be at ride height. The amount sticking up is how tall my tower needed to be.
View attachment 346315
Cutoff the top of the tower
View attachment 346317
Make an extension piece out of the tower blaine sent me.
View attachment 346318
I made it this way because the rounded bit in front sets the height, and then the extension has a skirt that goes around my existing tower. This gave me two sides to weld on and room for plug welds on the sides.
View attachment 346322
View attachment 346323
View attachment 346325
Turns out sticks are pretty precise.
View attachment 346326
With both sides tacked in I cycled suspension.
View attachment 346329
Stuffed with a tire. 6” of uptravel stuffed with a 35 into highlines is pretty uneventful looking lol.
View attachment 346331
Clearance at the shock tower
View attachment 346332
I definitely have some rubbing on the forward must spring perch corner but we will live with it.
View attachment 346333
Had to clock back the PSC cylinder because the fitting would hit the frame with 1/4” of shock shaft showing. Now we have a little space there.
View attachment 346334
Welded up and ground smooth
View attachment 346335
View attachment 346337
Had to cut the inner fenders to make room for the shock tower as well as the stem on top. It needed room to move around during articulation. I also took the time to trim the front grill support of the fender so the AR would stop hitting it. I painted it black because the factory chose not to paint that part of the grill. I like the new look.
View attachment 346338
Just buttoned her up and drove home from my dads and it feels amazing.
View attachment 346339
Big thank you to @mrblaine for all of your help with the project. Now that the front is done I’ll move on to prepping for the rear projects!
That looks very clean .. great job. Looking forward to how you do the rear!