Arizona Rock Crawling Daily Driver

Pretty neat, by using a mini air powered die grinder with a cutoff disc, I was able to easily get the spring perch off without raising the body. I used a standard cutoff disc with angle grinder wherever I could, the die grinder on the inboard rear most horizontal weld, and I also used a sawzall for the inboard rearmost vertical weld.

The customer service at blackmagicbrakes.com is unparalleled. Clean your threads and loctite your knuckle to saddle bolts each time you take them off and on kids!

8D1B5F56-4A36-4D3D-8E7F-C34D6ED80AA8.jpeg

@mrblaine

What no pics?
I’m cutting off this outboard shock mount and anti rock tab. The reasoning is that these were one of Blaine’s first outboards and he has since changed where he places the lower mounts. They now go all the way outboard to the rings. This makes it so you don’t have to tip the upper tower out at all and creates more clearance for the tires.
23C3D67A-EF41-46B2-BC9B-3152340984F8.jpeg

This side done
D2185920-3573-4163-B7C7-A6DCDABB99D7.jpeg

This is where the shock mounts will live
403617FB-C75E-44AE-A244-E3EDA5794E8F.jpeg

I’m cutting off this outboard shock mount and anti rock tab. The reasoning is that these were one of Blaine’s first outboards and he has since changed where he places the lower mounts. They now go all the way outboard to the rings. This makes it so you don’t have to tip the upper tower out at all and creates more clearance for the tires.

Kaizen is a beautiful thing to understand and witness.

I'd say its more continuous improvement over time vs true Kaizen, but beautiful, nonetheless!

Kaizen is often used in the western context to mean continuous improvement. But there is an even deeper and richer meaning.

If you look at the two symbols making up the word in written Kanji script, the symbol for “Kai” is made up of two sub-symbols representing “self” and “whip”. This refers to the discipline we need to have in order to change who we are. It’s about starting with ourselves to make change.

And while “Zen” is often translated to mean “good,” the symbols actually represent the meaning of “highest good.”

So the real meaning of kaizen is about having the discipline to ‘whip’ ourselves – to sacrifice ourselves – to find the very best in what we do.

And in the Japanese sense .. the "continuous" is always implied in the context of "betterment" and "improvement".

1664914652336.png

1664915878625.png

Last edited:
Kaizen is often used in the western context to mean continuous improvement. But there is an even deeper and richer meaning.

If you look at the two symbols making up the word in written Kanji script, the symbol for “Kai” is made up of two sub-symbols representing “self” and “whip”. This refers to the discipline we need to have in order to change who we are. It’s about starting with ourselves to make change.

And while “Zen” is often translated to mean “good,” the symbols actually represent the meaning of “highest good.”

So the real meaning of kaizen is about having the discipline to ‘whip’ ourselves – to sacrifice ourselves – to find the very best in what we do.

And in the Japanese sense .. the "continuous" is always implied in the context of "betterment" and "improvement".

View attachment 364521

View attachment 364524

The western, Automotive MFG way its been described to me is a rapid, all encompassing, change for the better. It makes sense, in the context you've provided that it was explained that way. Kaizen to me was always an event. We would schedule the event, stop production, tear the cell apart and experiment with new ways to run it, and then build it back the best way we discovered. The "whip" part of it was the events were a maximum of one week long...sometimes shorter. LOTS of hours. When I lead the lean transformation at my last shop, I was doing an average of one event a month...it was killer.

The western, Automotive MFG way its been described to me is a rapid, all encompassing, change for the better. It makes sense, in the context you've provided that it was explained that way. Kaizen to me was always an event. We would schedule the event, stop production, tear the cell apart and experiment with new ways to run it, and then build it back the best way we discovered. The "whip" part of it was the events were a maximum of one week long...sometimes shorter. LOTS of hours. When I lead the lean transformation at my last shop, I was doing an average of one event a month...it was killer.

I find the various interpretations of it in the western world and esp in manufacturing quite interesting. Many institutions seem to focus more on the efficiency aspect of the concept/philosophy. At my workplace, the interpretation is more aligned to what you see in big companies in general - which is to continuously improve and standardize business practices, processes and functions from the highest levels to the lowest levels of employees. Depending on the level of workforce you are in, and depending on the level of improvement(s) needed, the action items are different and they keep evolving over time. It is hard to find a clear delineation of where the original interpretation stops and where it transforms into something else more relevant for the current state of the institution that is implementing a process like this.