Arizona Rock Crawling Daily Driver

If it’s an automotive grade connector, then no.
Hey Chris I’ve seen threads saying you are planning on tummy tucking. Have you done it yet? I want to get the Currie 4 inch lift which means I will need a SYE/CV and eventually I want a tummy tuck but just had a thought. Should I suck it up and tummy tuck at the same time so I can get the correct Driveshaft length right away? Or will the DS be the correct length regardless of tummy tuck or not? It would definitely save me time only having to set pinion once I suppose but I’m most worried about making sure I choose the most efficient financial path.

Hey Chris I’ve seen threads saying you are planning on tummy tucking. Have you done it yet? I want to get the Currie 4 inch lift which means I will need a SYE/CV and eventually I want a tummy tuck but just had a thought. Should I suck it up and tummy tuck at the same time so I can get the correct Driveshaft length right away? Or will the DS be the correct length regardless of tummy tuck or not? It would definitely save me time only having to set pinion once I suppose but I’m most worried about making sure I choose the most efficient financial path.

I did the tummy tuck long ago.

I would do it at the same time personally, yes. I'm not sure how much the driveshaft length will change with or without the tuck, but consider that the tuck is the equivalent of adding another 2-3 inches of suspension lift to your vehicle in terms of driveline and suspension geometry changes.

I did the tummy tuck long ago.

I would do it at the same time personally, yes. I'm not sure how much the driveshaft length will change with or without the tuck, but consider that the tuck is the equivalent of adding another 2-3 inches of suspension lift to your vehicle in terms of driveline and suspension geometry changes.
Which plate did you go with? Any unexpected modification necessary? Basically just pinion angle change and exhaust mod once you already have the bl and mml right?

Which plate did you go with? Any unexpected modification necessary? Basically just pinion angle change and exhaust mod once you already have the bl and mml right?

I went with the Rokmen skid plate.

It was the biggest can of worms I've ever opened. I had to rotate my rear pinion angle so far up that my track bar was then contacting the stock fuel tank skid plate. That led me to purchase a GenRight aluminum fuel tank which is much shorter and fixed that issue. However, I then had to have the exhaust completely re-routed, as it was interfering with anything and everything after the tuck.

My TJ was lifted 4" with a 1.25" body lift and 1" MML. However, adding that tuck was the equivalent of another 3" of lift, so driveline wise it was like I had a 7" suspension lift :ROFLMAO:

I went with the Rokmen skid plate.

It was the biggest can of worms I've ever opened. I had to rotate my rear pinion angle so far up that my track bar was then contacting the stock fuel tank skid plate. That led me to purchase a GenRight aluminum fuel tank which is much shorter and fixed that issue. However, I then had to have the exhaust completely re-routed, as it was interfering with anything and everything after the tuck.

My TJ was lifted 4" with a 1.25" body lift and 1" MML. However, adding that tuck was the equivalent of another 3" of lift, so driveline wise it was like I had a 7" suspension lift :ROFLMAO:
Sheesh good to know. Maybe I’ll wait a while on that tummy tuck. I’m not prepared to spend another grand on it. Yet... 😂 were the exhaust modifications expensive?

Sheesh good to know. Maybe I’ll wait a while on that tummy tuck. I’m not prepared to spend another grand on it. Yet... 😂 were the exhaust modifications expensive?

The exhaust mods cost me around $300, so not bad. The tank on the other hand was $1500 :ROFLMAO:

My best suggestion for the tuck would be to plan on spending an additional $1500 more in the worst case scenario, which is apparently what happened to me.

I'd also highly recommend installing the Savvy transfer case shifter cable while you're in there!

The exhaust mods cost me around $300, so not bad. The tank on the other hand was $1500 :ROFLMAO:

My best suggestion for the tuck would be to plan on spending an additional $1500 more in the worst case scenario, which is apparently what happened to me.

I'd also highly recommend installing the Savvy transfer case shifter cable while you're in there!
Why was the tank so expensive as opposed to the Savvy tank which is $350?

Why was the tank so expensive as opposed to the Savvy tank which is $350?

The Savvy unit is just a skid plate, that's why. I bought an entirely new tank from GenRight. the GenRight unit is not only a skid plate but the tank itself. It offers a lot more clearance than the stock one in relation to the track bar.

Ah I realized that right after I asked! Dang ok I’m definitely going to wait on the tummy tuck. Thanks so much for the info

No problem! It's amazing how much changes with the tummy tuck. Great mod, you just have to be prepared for a potential can of worms like what happened to me :)

The tummy tuck definitely takes lots of resources but there are many out there that didn't have install a new gas tank with a 4" lift and a high clearance skid. Don't get me wrong, those Genright tanks are beautiful but the savvy skid actually gains you some clearance back in that area.

Reactions: starkey480
The tummy tuck definitely takes lots of resources but there are many out there that didn't have install a new gas tank with a 4" lift and a high clearance skid. Don't get me wrong, those Genright tanks are beautiful but the savvy skid actually gains you some clearance back in that area.
I’m assuming it probably also depends on which track bar you use too?

I’m assuming it probably also depends on which track bar you use too?
Yes, I'm sure. I only have 2.5" of spring lift w/ the JKS track bar and the UCF original extra clearance skid (2" tuck) but the savvy gas tank skid gave me the clearance needed when I rotated the pinon up. I'd look at others build threads and see what people have run with the 4" Currie lift.

Newest update, I got a Bestop Supertop NX with black twill and absolutely love how it looks. Going to be selling my hardtop. It’s a factory one I believe and it has the bestop logo on the vent. Anyone know how much I could sell it for? There’s basically no other hardtops for sale in my area right now. The paint is immaculate and it’s insulated on the inside and has rear window defrost.

FE7F5660-4E41-4C46-B698-F8F27A8246AE.jpeg

The next day my EAG Chinese flat fenders came in the mail and wow do they look better than the bulky bushwackers that were previously on there.

Dirtworx rear bumper came in the mail today so hopefully I’ll have time to paint it soon. Still waiting on the Savvy front bumper and it’s been 4 weeks already...

220D9E71-864C-4955-8D07-AA8CFCB7A9F9.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: JMT
Put the rear bumper on today! The previous owners left me some very poorly placed holes in the frame from the last bumper for the inside mounts. Going to have to drill the holes on the bumper a little bigger but the bumper is solid for now so just going to enjoy it for a few days and take a little break from working on the TJ

This was my first real paint job and I have to say it looks just as good as powder coating. I primed it with 3 coats of rustoleum self etching primer and then wet sanded with 400 grit paper. Then 4 coats of rustoleum satin black and looks great!

9B22C5FC-0655-4A01-9EEA-6FD6DF69AF3B.jpeg

Reactions: JMT and Vasq
Savvy front bumper finally in! Painted last night and will install today hopefully! Man this thing is light. I can pick it up with 2 fingers! I’m curious if my front end will sit higher with the new bumper since it has super heavy giant double tubes on there now.

8A6456CF-D906-4007-A59D-802D7C261FE5.jpeg

B5B54380-761E-423D-B927-F79B74ED1621.jpeg

Have to cut off the welded on hitch post to put on the bumper. Previous owners never make it easy on us do they... anyone want to do some overhead cutting? 😂

5AAED418-0E4E-4B63-8613-9F8B1073C44B.jpeg

1800874C-43F6-44B1-BA00-B2DEFC7328D1.jpeg