Arizona Rock Crawling Daily Driver

While I might fair a little better with my 4.56 gears and 33's, I surely would have struggled with many of those high clearance obstacles, where your 35's shined. I'd get hand throttle, but I just don't wheel that harder stuff much anymore, and can do without the clutter inside. I sure do enjoy watching you desert dwellers wheel in the winter while us left coasters are stuck inside.
The bigger tires have been nice and it’s fun that they have unlocked trails and obstacles that were not possible with 33s. To be honest I still feel like a little Jeep in a buggy world on some of these trails. There are a lot of buggy only lines.

Reactions: bobthetj03
Damn. If it's just that, then not a difficult fix.

Did you have a spare in your cache?

Nope, that was one of the parts I didn't have a spare of, so now I ordered two. And I got it back up and running thanks to Amazon Prime next day delivery :LOL:

Reactions: psrivats
Right now I’m battling the 5 speed, 231, and 4.56 gears with 35s. It’s not ideal that’s for sure. I would love to put 5.13s in next time I have some money burning a hole in my pocket. The hand throttle is a saving grace for me right now
I feel you man. I have the same combo and it's fine for the road and moderate trails but would kill for deeper gearing for the hardcore stuff. This build is turning out awesome btw!

Well I’ve got another cool project coming up. When I got 35s I knew I would have to regear from 4.56 to 5.13s. But then I got another idea. 4.56 is the ideal gearing for 35s and a 32rh trans. So instead of regearing I’m going to put that money towards swapping in a 32rh. The overall cost should be about the same as regearing. Just with a million times more work lol. But the kind of stuff we’ve been doing an auto sounds really nice. A manual would do what I want if I invested in a better transfer case but that would be much more expensive and would still require regearing. Stay tuned and I’ll update with a full parts list and costs if anyone is interested in doing the same

Well I’ve got another cool project coming up. When I got 35s I knew I would have to regear from 4.56 to 5.13s. But then I got another idea. 4.56 is the ideal gearing for 35s and a 32rh trans. So instead of regearing I’m going to put that money towards swapping in a 32rh. The overall cost should be about the same as regearing. Just with a million times more work lol. But the kind of stuff we’ve been doing an auto sounds really nice. A manual would do what I want if I invested in a better transfer case but that would be much more expensive and would still require regearing. Stay tuned and I’ll update with a full parts list and costs if anyone is interested in doing the same
I was in a similar position not too long ago. Ended up doing the same swap on my 2003. However, I also ended up with a 241... The swap will be alot more straight forward on your 99. Let me know if you have any questions.

Reactions: JMT and starkey480
I was in a similar position not too long ago. Ended up doing the same swap on my 2003. However, I also ended up with a 241... The swap will be alot more straight forward on your 99. Let me know if you have any questions.
Thanks! Yeah should be easier since 99s are made for a 32rh. Sounds like I will be making a few junkyard trips and calls to Daveys. I’ve got a 32rh lined up to look at tomorrow for $400 with the torque converter

Reactions: bobthetj03
D75DAD98-0B94-451F-BAC1-569AB47A4C72.jpeg

Committed now!

There is one near me and the seller claims it only has 90k miles and because of that it is worth $1700. It does come with another 231 though...

So I'd say that is a hell of a deal!

I like my TRE synthetic, though I haven’t used it in a recovery yet. It has been a lot easier to deal with than my old steel cable during the couple times I’ve used the winch for odd jobs since installing it.

First thing I did with the TRE was cut off the shielding with a drywall knife.

Reactions: starkey480
For anyone wondering the UCF lopro transmission mount is a piece of shit. When I installed it a year ago nothing touched the skid. I just looked at it and part of the transfer case is now resting on the skid. I assume the little rubber pad in the mount is smooshed. I ordered a mopar mount and will be putting that in when I do my auto swap.