Arizona Rock Crawling Daily Driver

Prepping for next project
C5D2E875-5945-4050-9073-7792C69E950A.jpeg

22FF117D-BBEF-49B0-A4AE-96EC18284B4B.jpeg

What did you use for the cuts? It looks clean!
In case anyone is wanting more details:
The flak jacket is 3/16ā€ 6061 aluminum

With the circular saw I used a 6.5ā€ 40tooth Diablo blade with carbide teeth. It cuts very well.

For the hinge cutout and the curve I used a jigsaw with a Diablo carbide tooth thick metal blade. It cut ok. You have to go very slow. For the hinge cutout I drilled holes in the corners to get the jigsaw in there.

I lubed up with WD40

Used a file to get all the edges and corners nice.

Just checked and the skin also fits perfect on the other side of the Jeep so I will just trace that instead of making another mock up.

More details to come as I get further along

looks good.......... where'd ya get those rails?
The rails I made from 1 X 1.5ā€ flat bar. Cut with the circular saw, and beveled the edges with a 1/4ā€ round over bit in a router. I ordered all of the aluminum from Midwest steel and aluminum.

Last edited:
The rails I made from 1 X 1.5ā€ flat bar. Cut with the circular saw, and beveled the edges with a 1/4ā€ round over bit in a router
Are you going to work the edge of the Al panel to smooth them out a bit? File might work good for that.

Looking really good. You probably know, but if you used one panel to sketch the other and then cut on the line, it will tend to be slightly larger, so you have to accommodate for that extra ~1/16". You may have already test fit the panel and be in good shape.

Are you going to work the edge of the Al panel to smooth them out a bit? File might work good for that.

Looking really good. You probably know, but if you used one panel to sketch the other and then cut on the line, it will tend to be slightly larger, so you have to accommodate for that extra ~1/16". You may have already test fit the panel and be in good shape.
Yeah it all fits. Iā€™ve still got some finishing touches to do