Arizona Rock Crawling Daily Driver

Originally asking @starkey480 but if you are doing the work you can answer.

Based entirely on what I have read here recently, @starkey480 showed up unannounced at Blaine's doorstep and demanded that Blaine build his Jeep. Blaine (wearing a speedo) got out of his pool, refused to do the work because his shop isn't open to the public, and threw a bunch of trash in Garrett's Jeep. Then Garrett drove back home to Arizona, crying the whole way. I read it here.

Last edited:
I figured you knew how much you could stretch a TJ wheelbase with the tank under the Jeep. I'll wait and see what starky says. He is much less cantankerous.

I was trying to figure out why you would ask about a stretch with TJ and TJ-6 options since they both have identical relationships amongst all pertinent bits from 8" in front of the rear frame wheel arch all the way to the rear bumper back face.

If you know of a way to get 7" of stretch and keep the fuel tank under the rig with out boarded shocks and OEM style springs, post up because we are all ears. "Fuel tank" is generic for a reasonable quantity of fuel.

Are you stretching the wheelbase? If so how much?

A stretch is an aspiration still but no plans yet. In order for a stretch to happen I would either need a solution that puts the fuel filler outside the Jeep, or the Jeep would need to become a tow rig and permanently topless. The solution also needs to be within my skill level.

Reactions: Alex01
Based entirely on what I have read here recently, @starkey480 showed up unannounced at Blaine's doorstep and demanded that Blaine build his Jeep. Blaine (wearing a speedo) got out of his pool, refused to do the work because his shop isn't open to the public, and threw a bunch of trash in Garrett's Jeep. Then Garrett drove back home to Arizona, crying the whole way. I read it here.

You forgot how he beat me out the door with pool noodles

The solution also needs to be within my skill level.
If you aren't going to build a fuel tank, you have the skill level. Moving the frame back is pretty basic with a lot of tedious tossed in.

If you ever head that way, ask for pointers first. That will help to get the rig staged properly so you don't lose key dimensions and relationships that will show you where everything goes when you're standing there looking at the back half of the frame laying on the ground.

If you aren't going to build a fuel tank, you have the skill level. Moving the frame back is pretty basic with a lot of tedious tossed in.

If you ever head that way, ask for pointers first. That will help to get the rig staged properly so you don't lose key dimensions and relationships that will show you where everything goes when you're standing there looking at the back half of the frame laying on the ground.

I feel fairly confident about the frame stretch part because I can picture how to do it and where everything goes for the most part. I don’t know anything about building gas tanks so that is my current limiter

• USA Proud
Reactions: RINC
Started smelling something a little funny with the AC on.

21D64904-2675-485C-B578-DDEB49B9EAC7.jpeg

Was getting a rear shimmy on the way to Blaine’s at high speed. Took it in to discount today for a rotation and balance and now I have a front shimmy. At least I know there is a bad tire somewhere in the front now. I may have them mount my spare tire on the worst front and see what happens.

• USA Proud
Reactions: Alex01 and RINC