Arizona Wheeling—Candy Ass and Hard Ass Trails

Jerry Bransford

Staff
Staff Member
Supporting Member
For those who always suspected...
Jerry Candy Ass.jpg

Just got back from Rocks and Wheels Roctoberfest, its trail names are entirely appropriate. Candy Ass which is tougher than most trails I've been on, then there was Hard Ass that was definitely something! Hard enough that it destroyed one of my kevlar MT/Rs, the first ever for me in 11 years of running them.
Tire Slashed.jpg

So anyway, here are just a bunch of photos for what Arizona is like. Gorgeous terrain, awesome wheeling, HOT!

Capture.JPG
Capture2.JPG
Capture3.JPG
Capture4.JPG
Capture5.JPG
Capture8.JPG
Capture10.JPG
Capture11.JPG
Capture12.JPG

He flopped one second after this photo...

Capture13.JPG

Different flop...

Capture14.JPG
Capture15.JPG
Capture16.JPG
Capture17.JPG
DSC_1033.jpg
DSC_1052.jpg
DSC_1061.jpg
DSC_1064.jpg

Part two...

DSC_1073.jpg

DSC_1079.jpg

DSC_1091.jpg

What was disappointing was when I had to bail out after the second day after the sliced tire on Hard Ass which left me with no spare tire. The 3rd day was an even tougher trail called Sucker Punch, with more runs happening through Saturday. I'm looking forward to next year!!

Wish I could have joined you Jerry! You need to make it down to where I'm at next time in the east valley. The wheeling out here near Florence is exceptionally awesome!

You ought to move to Arizona. You can get cheap houses down here (I can find you super nice ones all day long for 250k tops), the weather is excellent, and the politics are good too ;)

When I first saw this thread title I thought for sure it was going to be a spoof on my “Arizona wheeling” thread lol! Welcome to Arizona. I’ll have to check these trails one of these days.

Reactions: JMT
Cool wheeling! Been all over Arizona, never wheeled though. Wheeled in new Mexico at caballo lake for the chile challenge and some west texas wheeling. Need to get down that looks like.

Dang @Jerry Bransford, that looks like some good wheeling! Hard to believe you finally killed an MT/R KEVLAR. I know you've been trying for awhile! 👍
Awesome pics, thanks for sharing!

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
How did the side wall slash happen?
Tipped and slid sideways into a pointed/sharp rock. I watched the tip of the granite break off as the tire ground into it while rolling. I was worried about tire damage at that point but assumed it was ok and kept going. I didn't know the tire was sliced open until 50' later.

Jerry,

Any chance you would share the GPX for these trails? I have a place in Fort Mohave and run the trails in this area often. I haven't found these two yet!

Thanks,
Ron

Reactions: starkey480
Jerry,

Any chance you would share the GPX for these trails? I have a place in Fort Mohave and run the trails in this area often. I haven't found these two yet!

Thanks,
Ron
I'm sorry but I don't. The group that runs them all the time is called Rocks and Wheels (RAS) and they're on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/groups/RocksNWheels. Join the group and maybe someone will have them or at least you can join them for their runs, they do those trails all the time.

Thanks for the pix Jerry! All I could say with some of those pictures is; how in the hell did they get that Jeep up there?

Are any of those trail pix of candy ass?