As a TJ owner, how would you build a JKU?

lovemachine

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
As a TJ owner, how would you guys build a JKU?

I bought a JKU Rubicon, because I needed something to haul my baby boys around. The TJ was a pain, and is now a 3rd vehicle, a weekend toy for me. Plus this will keep the miles down on it.

I’m looking for some ideas on how to build it up. I want to keep it simple, nothing extreme. Well, maybe.

I don’t want any LED light bars or angry grills. I want to be out driving this, and a TJ owner will say “ that guy is a TJ owner”.

So, how would you build a JKU?

Just like I built mine lol! Nice bumpers, simple wheels, and a 2-3.5 inch lift. Winch to come later. No light bars, angry birds, over sized wheels, or dual exhast...
20180511_101410.jpg
20180511_101437.jpg

IF I was going to build a JKU, I'd keep it clean and simple.

33" A/T tires, a 2" lift, factory Mopar Hard Rock bumpers, Hard Rock hood, etc.

The JKs don't need much in terms of tummy tucks, excessive lifts, etc. You don't have to do much to them IMHO in order for them to be capable.

Just like I built mine lol! Nice bumpers, simple wheels, and a 2-3.5 inch lift. Winch to come later. No light bars, angry birds, over sized wheels, or dual exhast...View attachment 44183 View attachment 44184

This is what I'm talking about. Clean, simple, and looks exactly the way it should.

The only things I would change (and this is opinion of course) is adding the Hard Rock bumpers and Hard Rock power dome hood.

Other than that, that's the look right there!

Reactions: Jeepaholic
This is what I'm talking about. Clean, simple, and looks exactly the way it should.

The only things I would change (and this is opinion of course) is adding the Hard Rock bumpers and Hard Rock power dome hood.

Other than that, that's the look right there!
I really want that hood and those bumpers, but couldn't swallow the price of the bumpers for what they are, and the hood I would probably not be happy with the paint match. This orange is actually a pearl color.

I really want that hood and those bumpers, but couldn't swallow the price of the bumpers for what they are, and the hood I would probably not be happy with the paint match. This orange is actually a pearl color.

The JKU Rubicon that I had almost bought was a 13th Anniversary model, so it came with all the goodies. I really dig that hood and those bumpers. It's nice too, because it's one less thing to "upgrade".

Reactions: Jeepaholic
Why do you need to "build it?" I like to modify stuff as much as the next guy but, I would leave it as-is and build up the TJ even more. Oh yea, and wrong forum :D

Why do you need to "build it?" I like to modify stuff as much as the next guy but, I would leave it as-is and build up the TJ even more. Oh yea, and wrong forum :D
I thought every wrangler is constantly whispering in our ears that it needs big tires and a lift? Mine complain when one gets something the other doesn't have yet!

Reactions: Drizit
[QUOTE
I don’t want any LED light bars or angry grills. I want to be out driving this, and a TJ owner will say “ that guy is a TJ owner”.
[/QUOTE]

Keep its stock and just get a Sticker that says " My better Jeep Is my TJ " :p

Last edited:
We talk about JKU’s and JL’s all the time in this sub-forum. So....

My JKUR has 285/70/17’s on it now. Which is slightly under a 33x11.5” tire. So I’m kinda thinking of just sticking to that size. And with 3.73 gearing, it’s perfect. I’d hate to have to get it regeared.

I thought of doing a 1.5 leveling kit. But I’m tempted to pick up one of Rock Hard 4x4’s aluminum front bumpers. That was I can add a winch, and keep the weight down as well.

35s 2.5" lift, flat fenders or just cut the stock ones. Lots of skids, trust the axles and do c gussets. Big rotor kit, teraflex makes a nice one, black magic may as well I'm not sure. If you really want to flex it out in the rocks then some Johnny joint control arms. (tmr customs has some nice ones) and upgraded steering, I'm a fan of the tmr 2.5 ton setup but man is it pricy. Oh and Rancho high steer knuckles (you will need a flipped drag link and track bar relocation kit) should still be a nice driver and be a hell of a trail machine.

There must have been a time
when we could have said no.

Reactions: Daryl and Scott B.
I would put a bunch of flashy mall crawler stuff on it (including limb risers that direct trees into the snorkel) and sell it for $20k more than it's worth.

Reactions: Kiwi TJ
Just like always, depends on how I’d be using it, my terrain, et al. I’d put 4”Lift and 37’s