As a TJ owner, how would you build a JKU?

Auto or stick?

I’d look at a 2.5 inch lift kit and some 35in (metric equivalent) tires, most likely Duratracs for great on road and decent off-road use. Since they don’t need our TT, I’d armor up the front and rear diffs, and go with some form of a winch bumper in the front, and just do some reinforced hinges in the rear and leave the stock bumper. Down the line if if I started wheeling the JK more than the TJ, lockers.

Auto I would budget for some newer gears eventually. I know plenty that think 3.73 and 35s are perfect, but can’t help tinkering. 4.11s in a JK Rubi I’d leave alone.

If it’s a 2013 or older there is a pinch seam in the body behind the rear doors you will want to grind off, or risk flexing into it off-road. 2014 and newer no longer have it.

As you can tell, I’ve given no thoughts to how to build up a JK!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It all depends what you want to do with it. We have a 2014 JKU and all I have done was slightly larger tires. It is our family/vacation vehicle so it is perfect just as it is. It is also my wife's daily driver.

I would stay 3" or under to avoid driveshaft issues. If I ever lift our JKU it will be 2" or 2.5"

Reactions: JeepZilla380
Front bumper and front plastic side wheel fenders has to go will change to metalcloack.
(I don't like 4 dr.) Must be 2 half door (is this mean i'm out), stick shift with rock slider on black wheels.
Repaint to flat matte black, no decals, no bling-bling.
Foot rest outside the drivers door (just kidding).

Last edited:
It all depends what you want to do with it. We have a 2014 JKU and all I have done was slightly larger tires. It is our family/vacation vehicle so it is perfect just as it is. It is also my wife's daily driver.

I would stay 3" or under to avoid driveshaft issues. If I ever lift our JKU it will be 2" or 2.5"
2.5” with 35s on a jk looks perfect. Or you can do the Mopar hightop fenders and a 2” lift with 37s which looks even better haha

Reactions: JeepNWilly
Right now, here’s my plan:

I like the way my JKUR rides now. So I’m leaving the suspension as is. It rides very nice with the 285/70/17’s. I may go with another wheel for a better backspacing. It has 4.75. I may go with 4.5.

Since it’s MY vehicle to take the babies, lifting it would be that much harder to get them in and out. Plus when they get older, they make like to help me lift it then anyway :)

I am definitely getting a new front bumper. I’ve been digging the full width Rock Hard 4x4 bumper. Aluminum.

I’m also trying to decide if I want the winch to mount on top or inside the bumper.

3 inch on 35s with 5.13s, 6 speed. Poison spyder front, Ace engineering rear bumper. 1/2 doors. No bling, except windshield decal, makes for tax write off. Wheels and flexes well.
20180708_230336.jpg

The TJ quickly became a dedicated trail rig. The JK is just so nice to drive. Don't get me wrong, I love my TJ, just glad I don't drive it everyday. I'm just Jeep guy. I like my old XJ too. Now if I could just find a decent CJ I'd be good to go.

Reactions: GTboosted
I wouldn't. Trade it in for a 4Runner ;). Or maybe even better - a Crosstrek or Forester (next gen). But NEVER get rid of the TJ.

Last edited: