At first this looks like a nice Unlimited Rubicon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reactions: Starrs
This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
Its rough, would require body off for sure

Yep, in my mind I look at that thing as a parts vehicle. Either that or get it for 10k and do a body off, but even that would be absurdly expensive.

It's a shame that people let their vehicles end up like this.

Reactions: AndrewLJR
You know if that was surface rust in a Texas jeep, you might be ok with a cheap wire wheel spray paint job.

That's a NJ jeep. Yikes. Shopping used cars is a nightmare in NJ.

it would be hard for me to buy a 14 year old vehicle from anywhere in the NE because salt damage.
There are ways to prevent jeep cancer.

1. Fix it when small.

2. Respray welds.

3. Coat inside of boxed-in areas as well as everywhere else except brakes and belts with fluid film.

There are ways to prevent jeep cancer.

1. Fix it when small.

2. Respray welds.

3. Coat inside of boxed-in areas as well as everywhere else except brakes and belts with fluid film.
Or, take a cheap flight to Arizona and buy one that’s never seen salt...

I grew up in Ohio. Moved to CA in 2005. one of the first things I did was purchase an 85 4 Runner. The thin sheet metal doesn’t survive long in the salt. I must have looked like a 4 year old at Christmas the first time I crawled under that truck. Every bolt came loose without anti seeze and a torch. Since then, my friends send me vehicles to look at and they fly out

That’s definitely seen it’s fair share of NE winters. The overhead under hood shot is scary back by the master/booster assembly

I looked at a few Jeeps before buying. The one below looked great to me. First clue there were issues was the angled picture. I can see the frame and it appears orange. When I got there I looked underneath and it was a sea of orange. The engine bay was the same. During the test drive it was solid. I pulled over at a parking lot and crawled underneath. Using a knife I poked at the frame and a sheet of surface rust fell off. After the drive I mentioned to the owner that I was talking with a friend that used to be a Jeep Mechanic. He immediately looked a little off. Said here are the things he will tell you...He then said they are willing to come down significantly on the price and throw in the hard top. After consideration I realized he has a house at the Jersey Shore. I bet he drove on the beach and through salt water puddles without washing.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/438489963475911/?surface=product_details
Kept searching and found my unicorn TJR with virtually zero rust.

Or, take a cheap flight to Arizona and buy one that’s never seen salt...
Unortunately road and beach salted vehicles, flooded vehicles, and all sorts of other automotive trash is shipped around the country by auto auctions and shady sellers to be offloaded to unsuspecting buyers.

Status
Not open for further replies.