At the risk of getting flamed, does anyone use airbags for the rear for weight leveling?

Moglocker

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
If these things go into the spring what do you do about the bump stops,I would just add spacers but when I get done loading it,I don’t want it to be all high in the back,anyone have any ideas?thanks

Reactions: R49
isn't that what they are for ? leveler bags for when your loaded heavy.
when you're loaded heavy you'd employ the bags, when empty so are they. no?

Reactions: tworley
Previous owner put them on. He flat towed the LJ with a Harley added to the bumper...... Rear bumper is welded and reinforced nicely.
They have a air valve on the bumper to add/ remove air pressure.

Reactions: KcTj
Go forth and use levelling bags if you wish! But to tell you the truth I have over weighted overlanded my TJ with zero problems! Lets look at the weight of an average westerner in the back of a TJ, at least 80KG = 176 pounds each rear passenger to which jeep allowed for! If you are loading more than 250lBs on a TJ you should consider Motels instead of a camping road trip :) lol

Reactions: TJ Starting
Go forth and use levelling bags if you wish! But to tell you the truth I have over weighted overlanded my TJ with zero problems! Lets look at the weight of an average westerner in the back of a TJ, at least 80KG = 176 pounds each rear passenger to which jeep allowed for! If you are loading more than 250LBs in the rear of your TJ you should consider Motels instead of a camping road trip :) lol

Reactions: jjvw
If these things go into the spring what do you do about the bump stops,I would just add spacers but when I get done loading it,I don’t want it to be all high in the back,anyone have any ideas?thanks

The bump stops should be setup no different than they normally would. The bags should also sized so that when deflated they fill the space between the axle pad and the bottom of the jounce.

Last edited:
I have the air lift on my dodge and they work great. I think the recommendation is to leave 5 psi at a minimum. Like someone said earlier, if you empty them they would likely get damaged. I don't really notice when they are at a lower psi but can tell they help when trailering my jeep and aired up.

I'm not sure how it would be set up on a jeep since the valve is on top with the air line going to the bumper.

I ran air bags for leveling in my Cherokee and Grand Cherokee so it would ride level with my boat trailer's tongue weight on it. They worked great.

This is what I’m wondering about I have bump stop extensions that will hit the axle pad,how does it work if there is an airlift bag in the way?

I have the air lift on my dodge and they work great. I think the recommendation is to leave 5 psi at a minimum. Like someone said earlier, if you empty them they would likely get damaged. I don't really notice when they are at a lower psi but can tell they help when trailering my jeep and aired up.

I'm not sure how it would be set up on a jeep since the valve is on top with the air line going to the bumper.

I ran mine fully deflated with an open bleed valve for about 4 years of daily driving. The bags did not get damaged. I have no idea how they could get damaged.

The air hose for the load assist bags runs down through the axle seat.

I ran air bags for leveling in my Cherokee and Grand Cherokee so it would ride level with my boat trailer's tongue weight on it. They worked great.

Ditto. I used to haul a ski boat with my old WJ. Air bags are a great solution for intermittent hauling. Keep a few PSI in them when not in use and they are invisible.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
I dunno anything about them. How is that setup differently?

Load assist bags live inside the coil spring and assist in temporarily adding "spring rate" to restore the ride height as needed.

The type that WM uses fully replaces the coil spring.

• Love
Reactions: TRE3TOP