At what point does a tire cut concern you?

Bowhunter

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
A buddy offered me set of 4 KO2s for next to nothing. While looking at them we found this cut that is about 7/8” long and between 1/32”-1/16” (deflated tire to 5 psi to pry open the cut to verify depth).

First pic is at 5psi. Second is at 25 psi.

If this was my daily, I’d likely change it out. But this jeep sees more off-roading than on the street. But I don’t want to risk a tire blow out at 55/60mph.

What your guys thoughts?

IMG_3317.jpeg

IMG_3318.jpeg

I had a cut very similar to that. I bought this and patched it. Took it to Moab 2,000 miles and drove around all week on trails .I keep the rest of the kit in my trail gear now. Easy to use product (after reading the instructions carefully)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09KDMD2Z2/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Awesome! Doing so will save me from spending $1200+ on new ones just to cut them up in the rocks lol. Thanks for the Amazon URL

Reactions: MikeE024 and JMT
I carry a tire patch kit and a spare just for that reason.

Not too concerned with the cut...but I like lots of recovery options...me I'd buy a fifth and use that for the spare.

-Mac

Thanks all. Also took it to two nearby shops since I was already out and about and they both thought it was an absolute no problem.

I’ll keep and eye on it and l ordered the patch recommended earlier.

Good to go 👍🏼

To answer the question- the minute it happens is when it concerns me.

That said, tires are tough, and I’d do as recommended above, and wear it out-maybe let it be a spare at some point-especially as a trail set.

Reactions: ColoJeep
When it no longer holds air. Although, I would swap it to the rear if it was a daily driver. Better for it to let go in the rear than the front.
Actually no, it's far more dangerous for a rear tire to blow than a front tire. A blown rear tire can cause a loss of control far more easily than a blown front tire can. Really.

Actually no, it's far more dangerous for a rear tire to blow than a front tire. A blown rear tire can cause a loss of control far more easily than a blown front tire can. Really.

I don't see that logic. I have had two tires fail catastrophicly, both on the rear axle. I felt like I had full control since the front tires are the only ones you control.

I don't see that logic. I have had two tires fail catastrophicly, both on the rear axle. I felt like I had full control since the front tires are the only ones you control.
Do you see the logic in the brake proportioning valve limiting braking power given to the rear brakes to prevent them from locking up during hard braking which can cause a loss of control? https://www.epermittest.com/drivers-education/handling-tire-blowout#:~:text=Rear-tire blowouts are usually,the force of the blowout

And https://www.cartalk.com/content/rear-tire-blowouts-v-front-tire-blowouts

Reactions: txbemis69
I would also want the front tires and front brakes working in an emergency. If you lose a front tire the you can't brake very hard because the vehicle will try to pivot on the good tire.

I would also want the front tires and front brakes working in an emergency. If you lose a front tire the you can't brake very hard because the vehicle will try to pivot on the good tire.
Go ask a tire store what they say since you are clearly not believing the above information. What you're claiming though was disproven many years ago. I too used to believe a front blowout was more dangerous until I looked into it more at the advice of others