Atas 2 speed vs Atlas 4 speed transfer case

From what I understand the 4 speed atlas cannot be flat towed with. At least that’s what my manual stated.

My 2000 4.0 AT TJ's 231 Transfer Case is on its way to the grave and I am looking to upgrade to an Atlas. Have 40s and running 4.88 gears at the moment.

I would like to have a good crawler and also be able to drive it on the road for short distances as well.

Would you recommend an Atlas 2 speed or an Atlas 4 speed transfer case? And why?
Just had the atlas 4 speed installed in my 2000 Wrangler TJ and I am loving it. I have 33s with 4.56 gears with the 4.0. It took some work to get it to fit. The skid plate had to be modified.

Just had the atlas 4 speed installed in my 2000 Wrangler TJ and I am loving it. I have 33s with 4.56 gears with the 4.0. It took some work to get it to fit. The skid plate had to be modified.
What kind of lift are you running?

Any driveline angle issues?

What gearing did you decide on?

while I don't have a 4 speed, I have a 2 speed and here's my 2 cents about fitment.

1. Front output yoke with an Atlas 2 speed, it sits roughly 3-7/8" further forward than my 241. I had to shorten my front DS.
2. Rear output yoke with an Atlas 2 speed, it sits roughly 3-1/4" further forward than my 241. I had to lengthen my rear DS.

I believe the 4 speed adds 6-1/4" to the length so yeah, it can get a bit tight in the rear :LOL: . I've seen a 4" underdrive from NFW that adds only 4" so your original driveshafts will be damn close..

https://www.northwestfab.com/BlackBox-i_p_4230.html

Last edited:
Reactions: BugoutJeep
I think that underdrive for a super short build would be cool, but adding that kind of cost onto an Atlas... In front of a NP241 or NP231, that might be interesting IMO, plus wouldn't it give a 2L option? I've been thinking about rebuilding my NP231 and adding 2L to it while it's out, because I'm just too busy to take on anything like even installing an Atlas for awhile plus I'd like to see what happens to my bank account if I don't just spend money constantly of 3 vehicles and a bunch of other toys.

I do think TJs are geared WAY too fast when you're off-road. I could certainly see the multiple speeds for really slowing one down, but IMO a crawl ratio of 60:1 or greater is kind of the minimum for 33s I like to see for a vehicle doing some off-road. I still go back and forth on getting a 4 speed, though I have no experience with 60+:1, but I could imagine it being useful occasionally.

I think I'll still probably get an Atlas II someday with 5:1. Though I think I'd normally drive around in Low in 3rd gear, but I'd still have the ability to be more delicate than the OEM 2.72 x 3.83 x 3.07, which is fine on a lot of trails, but I don't like doing most stuff that fast and don't like the burning clutch smell personally.

What kind of lift are you running?

Any driveline angle issues?

What gearing did you decide on?
I am running a 2.5 inch suspension lift with a 1 inch body lift. So far I am not having any driveline angle issues. I did end up getting a shorter drive shaft for the rear. I was able to reuse the front drive shaft. I went with the 2.72:1, 3.8:1 & 10.34:1 gearing. I had a local shop do the install for me.

Reactions: L J
Slightly hi-jacking your post. For all of you that have the Atlas with a 32RH which ratio did you choose? AA says the 3.8:1 but I was leaning towards the 4.3:1.

Love my atlas 4 speed, but takes practice to get used to it. Front wheel digs are fun, turn on a dime.

Reactions: rasband and Wildman
The front wheel drive feature alone can be very effective for cut under banks, etc.

Reactions: Wildman