Auburn Gear 35 ECTED Max Limited Slip to Lock?

Hook_62

"The Exception"
Supporting Member
Was wondering if anyone out there has any experience with this company and if this ELocker is worth a look? as in previous posts questions always arise about the use of a locker vs. LSD. I live in PA where we get plenty of snow and ice and I currently have a locker in my rear. That said, if I'm not paying attention when driving in it, my jeep's ass end will come around and be my front end in quick second (make that a half a second), unless I make sure it's in 4 high. If this is a good company/product, may swap out for this next time I'm in the rear.
https://aftermarket.auburngear.com/dana-1868.html

Thanks in advance for any insight.

It's nothing more than a clutch based LSD with the ability to lock the clutch pack hard enough to make it lock... until the load overcomes it and it starts slipping... when it stops being a locker and becomes a slipper.

And then when its clutch pack wears out you have to remove the entire ECTED unit and send it back to Auburn to be rebuilt which leaves the Jeep inop on jackstands.

Still interested? ;)

Reactions: Hook_62
Edit: I'm going to say I reread your post Jerry.
Maybe I misunderstood what you are saying. Since I don't know the internal workings maybe you can explain how it works a little more? How does it achieve the LOCK mode? I think from what I read it uses magnets but from what you are saying when the clutch packs wear out it then can't fully lock due to the worn packs? And I understanding this right?

I didn't say it had anything to do with the type if LS it was. I was just supplying information to him about it and link the thread from last year where you also said how much you disliked it.
If it was an electronic locker with a gear driven LS like the AAM unit and it was reliable I think it would be an interesting unit.

I don't know when they redesigned it or what was done but in all the searching I have done I can't find any real current reviews about it which is why I would shy away from it. But I thought I had read a review that was more current about it not staying locked when under hard use. But I can't find that now.

Last edited:
Every single thing I've read about those Auburn ECTED lockers points to them being garbage. Again, just what I've heard, but I'd never run one based off all the bad things I've read.

Every single thing I've read about those Auburn ECTED lockers points to them being garbage. Again, just what I've heard, but I'd never run one based off all the bad things I've read.

I just searched again and can't find that thread about it slipping when in the LOCKED position. It was something about the magnets in the locker not working like they are suppose to. I've only ever looked at the exploded views of one so I can't say how it is suppose to work when locked. But like you based on all the poor reviews I wouldn't trust one in my rig. But I like to try to give the OP as much info as possible and let them decide what to do.

I find it very interesting that that there aren't a lot of more current reviews about them. I'm sure when the first run had problems that has caused many to shy away from them. But you would think there might be more current reviews about them anyhow.

Reactions: Chris
It's nothing more than a clutch based LSD with the ability to lock the clutch pack hard enough to make it lock... until the load overcomes it and it starts slipping... when it stops being a locker and becomes a slipper.

And then when its clutch pack wears out you have to remove the entire ECTED unit and send it back to Auburn to be rebuilt which leaves the Jeep inop on jackstands.

Still interested? ;)
No, not after reading these posts! I had the same problem as Wildman when trying to find reviews, seems like nobody is buying this gear to leave a review, so I believe I'll stay away. Thanks Jerry.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford