Audio buildout: amp location and tweeters?

penk

TJ Enthusiast
Hey everyone, it's spring and it's time to get to work, so I'm getting ready to go the next step on the audio on Ol Yeller (See https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/2000-tj-ol-yeller.1791/#post-28765 for build thread). The head unit and speaker replacement went great, and has 'helped', but since I have no plans on putting sound deadener in the tub, the answer needs to be MOAR WATTS.

What I'd like to do is add two new amps (75w RMS at least each). One for the front speakers, one for the rear. I suspect I'll do a subwoofer at some point, but I can drive that off one of the amps.

Here's the questions.
  • Where the HECK do you put amps? I can probably fit them inside the console behind the head unit, but that's going to be cramped and I'll need to rig up a bracket of some sort
  • I'd really like to put a set of tweeter pods on the dash, and use either the amp crossover, or the JVC head unit crossover to drive them. The main question is how to wire this. Do I get a 4 channel amp for the front speakers, and put a passive crossover in line to the tweeters? This seems like the easiest solution.
  • A subwoofer will balance out the tweeters nicely. My TJ does not have hte center console mount for the sub - has anyone ever retrofit one? Or should I get a sound box for the rear and use that?
Ready to hit the button at Crutchfield... whadya think?

You know pretty much what you are doing.

On the first question, depending on the size of the amp, you can mount under front seat. If you don't have enough height underneath, get some seat risers for about $30. Another option is on the underside of the rear seat. Both of these options keep it out of sight.

Don't know on the second question, but you could use one amp for your four speakers that push your mids and highs.I wouldn't bother with the center console. It's too much money and work for too little return. I think the sub was 6.5", which is not really a sub.

Third, if you're not trying to save space you can put the subwoofer in the trunk. You're going to need more than one of those 75 watts amps to push it. I'd say 300w+. Or you can do like me and get a compact self powered amp-sub and mount underside of rear seat. Mine is the Rockford Fosgate PS-8 ($189), but Kicker ($299) and Sound Ordnance ($150) also make one. I would not go with the Sound Ordnance, just read the reviews. RF and K both good. Both 150w pushing a single 8" woofer. They are equal in sound quality so I'd save some dough and go with the RF. Sound is pretty awesome.

Last edited:
Reactions: Travis
I have my amp mounted to the inside of my Bestop trunk along with an 8 inch Sub. Not tons of room left in there but enough for jumper cables and a few other items.

a74b1c24ea930394c2004805bcac685f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: Travis
I have an 8" subwoofer in my trunk, it takes up all of the room tho. My 300 watt Alpine amp is under the back seat, screwed to the tub. I don't have a picture of the amp, and I'm not near my TJ, but I gaurantee it's there. The PO installed this system, which also includes 2, 4x6's in the factory front location and 2, 6 inch speakers in the soundbar. I also should mention that I have the factory installed trunk.
20160809_084159.jpg

I'd like to modify my set-up, but it's pretty far down on the list. I hate my storage options, but that system sure does sound good.

Thatnks for the photos, guys! I'm slightly leery about putting the amp on the floor of the tub, since if/when water gets into there, it'll just pool right around the amp. Not the best setup.

I'm also going to do tweeters on the dash, using a crossover (the ones I'm looking at have their own crossover).

Has anyone retrofitted a sub into the center console? I don't think I want to give up all my trunk space for the sub.

I've seen it done on other forums. The problem is depth. You have to retrofit with a slimline sub. This limits your options greatly. And even if you do it you have no console. Are you willing to give that up for a sub?

What size sub do you want?

Thatnks for the photos, guys! I'm slightly leery about putting the amp on the floor of the tub, since if/when water gets into there, it'll just pool right around the amp. Not the best setup.

I'm also going to do tweeters on the dash, using a crossover (the ones I'm looking at have their own crossover).

Has anyone retrofitted a sub into the center console? I don't think I want to give up all my trunk space for the sub.
The trunk space is one thing I do not like about my stereo set up. I'm not worried about water around my amp. It is sitting up on the hump under the seat. I don't do any wheeling, so I wouldn't anticipate water ever coming close to it. However, I do often wonder about the heat it puts out, and maybe if that could become a problem after a prolonged time of use.

Reactions: penk
This is a Rockford Fosgate PS-8 with internal 150 watt amp mounted on undersidebof rear seat. It takes up no space in your TJ.

IMG_5720.JPG

My brother in law, who has run over 3,000 watt amps with 2 gauge wire said it sounds really good. Maybe this isn't what you are looking for. But you mentioned running a sub on a 75 watt amp. That won't do much. This would be far simpler, save space and sound better.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Y3WKUX8/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Reactions: penk and Travis
However, I do often wonder about the heat it puts out, and maybe if that could become a problem after a prolonged time of use.

It should have an internal fan. Of course, they get hot and over time can have problems. But if you have good quality components it's nothing to worry about.

Here is my ported and tuned 10 addictive audio v1 . Does fill up the back .but sounds like a 15 . Running a 1500.1 mono amp
20190406_194020.jpg
20190407_131410.jpg
20190407_131410.jpg
20190406_193429.jpg

Gorgeous design! Nice woodwork. I haven’t kept up with audio m. I’ve never seen a box like that.
This is a custom design . Ive built a few boxes and this box has what they call a L port .to get the high and low bass . Ive got about $50 in the box and a speaker that was given to me . I might start making these boxes for other jeep owners .

Reactions: JMT
This is a custom design . Ive built a few boxes and this box has what they call a L port .to get the high and low bass . Ive got about $50 in the box and a speaker that was given to me . I might start making these boxes for other jeep owners .
Good idea. If you could make some space saving designs for us TJ lovers that would attract a larger market. Expand into the JK and JL market too.

Surprised no one has mentioned under the steering column...

I have a small amp under there that's powering my Kicker sub in the center console. IMO it's the best location for mounting.
Incredibly discreet and protected from any surprise rain.

I mounted the amp to a piece of plastic cutting board and then mounted that to the steering column.

Undetectable without shoving your head under the dash:
21907243-FFDC-4FEC-8B9D-C72AD088F334.jpeg

9AFEDF79-6CA8-477D-81E4-A70B185D6F12.jpeg

2E8A6C2C-832C-410D-9D49-1645122B52D1.jpeg

Auxiliary gain control:
F22088A0-4C11-452F-BD5F-A2C05BD3EF22.jpeg

Reactions: KimsJeep
Surprised no one has mentioned under the steering column...

I have a small amp under there that's powering my Kicker sub in the center console. IMO it's the best location for mounting.
Incredibly discreet and protected from any surprise rain.

I mounted the amp to a piece of plastic cutting board and then mounted that to the steering column.

Undetectable without shoving your head under the dash:
View attachment 93689
View attachment 93690
View attachment 93692

Auxiliary gain control:
View attachment 93691
Nice . I really never thought of hiding a amp there

Reactions: ShredAZ