Austin's 98 TJ

Austin O.

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I’ve already made a few posts, but have decided having it all together in a build thread would be better, so here it is!

After months of research and test driving, I finally ended up with a ‘98 gunmetal pearl tj sport with a manual transmission and 6cyl engine. Currently has no lift and 31s

Here it is the day after I bought it:

BAF8C6F2-4AF0-4ACF-B239-0B7DC5AE59C2.jpeg

Since then, I’ve done just a bunch of small cosmetic changes, new headlights and new seat covers are the main things. Here it is what it looks like today:
1824669E-65BB-4F6B-88A7-0EAD64F892CD.jpeg

With the limited tools I have, I also put in some new rancho shocks, and am very very pleased with them. They made a world of difference.

F06769D3-EC36-44E9-B330-716569370852.jpeg

2FB5AB95-B954-437E-B2BA-A7C1F77E7EB5.jpeg

4EEE62EF-3D03-4E60-ABB3-682718997318.jpeg

983C15CE-D4D8-498F-AD2F-EE96315E9829.jpeg

And just yesterday I did my first project ever involving metal stuff (I’m a woodworker) and built a small compartment in the back that I can actually lock if I have the top off. Not at all fancy or perfect, but good enough for me, and I’m really happy with it.
006B754A-FA72-4E5B-80CB-23BDC682AFE0.jpeg

It’s the first car I’ve ever actually owned, and it honestly is my dream car which is really quite exciting. I love it as is, and always love driving it, but can’t wait to keep working on it some more. I’m slowly learning as I go… Hopefully there’ll be some more posts from me on here in the near future!

Replaced spark plugs, don’t know how old they were, but my mpgs arent too great, so just decided to do it. First time ever doing that, wasn’t too difficult, but I was concerned I would do something wrong. The jeep seems happy though, so that’s good.

I have two questions about other stuff - sorry in advance for my lack of correct terminology

I noticed a couple of oils drips on the floor this morning under the tj, they seem to be coming from these two bolts on the thing that I think covers the bottom of my engine??

A3E9B26D-7897-4425-9574-7CDEAC8CC587.jpeg

Is that something to be worried about? If so, is there an easy fix?

Other thing is I have no idea what this thingy is:
155E0FEA-2ABA-4B62-843E-2862F1AA41F5.jpeg

What is it? It looks like something is supposed to be attached to it? Also, that tube just to the left of it that has a white cap, it is completely cut off at the bottom and capped at the top, so it doesn’t go anywhere, is that supposed to be something important that I should fix?

Thanks for your help, sorry that I have no idea what I’m talking about 🤣🤣

Reactions: tworley
You can tighten the bolts that secure your oil pan which should hopefully stop the leak. Look up the torque specs however, as they aren't cranked down too hard. The white cap on the tube that is completely cut off should be your differential breather hose and should be attached to the top of the front diff. Re-attach it...

Anyone able to answer my two quick questions above? Thanks!

Oil pan gasket seal it looks like. Also take a look at the timing cover seal and/or the harmonic balancer seal.

EDIT: Not the intake manifold temperature sensor. The IMT is near the firewall. Yours looks to be a vacuum. Though I am skimming the manual to find what exactly. Mine is plugged on my 97 model. I would guess it has something to do with the purge valve

Last edited:
Anyone able to answer my two quick questions above? Thanks!

I believe the item in the red circle is where the IAT sensor is located on later TJ models. See pics below:

1997 TJ where port is plugged...

Manifold 97 Jeep.jpg

1997 TJ IAT location...

IAT 97 Jeep.jpg

2003 TJ IAT location...

IAT 2003 Jeep.jpg

Jeep bounced the location of the IAT around for years. Beginning in 2005, the IAT location moved to the throttle body intake tube. Check your 1998 to see if the IAT is located near the back of the intake between the throttle body and the fire wall. I am not certain of the location for your year.

Great looking Jeep! Gunmetal is one of my favorite factory colors. I like the seat covers you have on it too. I haven't seen them before, what kind are they?

I am by no means a TJ expert like others on this forum are so take my advice with a grain of salt. That leak looks like it's probably a bad oil pan gasket. Shouldn't be too serious just check your oil level regularly and add oil when needed. Changing out that gasket isn't too hard but takes some time. If/when you do it wait until you need an oil change and while you're under there you might as well replace your rear main seal since those tend to go bad on TJs.

I'm not sure what that plug is on top of the manifold but if I remember correctly, there is a rubber cap on it on my buddy's '98. That other tube looks like the differential/axle vent tube. You may want to get under and see if there is a vent nozzle (is that what it's called? lol) without a tube attached. If so, that's probably what that tube is for. Again, I'm sure other people on this forum will be able to better answer your questions but I hope that helps a little.

Reactions: Austin O.
Maybe a forum member with a 1998 4.0 can chime in, but it looks like from this crappy picture of a 1998 4.0, it has that port capped off. I would assume yours is missing a rubber cap of some sort and that your IAT is located near the rear of your intake between the TB and the firewall.

1998 4.0.jpg

You can tighten the bolts that secure your oil pan which should hopefully stop the leak. Look up the torque specs however, as they aren't cranked down too hard. The white cap on the tube that is completely cut off should be your differential breather hose and should be attached to the top of the front diff. Re-attach it...

Thank you, once I attach it to the diff, should I take the white cap off, or leave it on?

Oil pan gasket seal it looks like. Also take a look at the timing cover seal and/or the harmonic balancer seal.

EDIT: Not the intake manifold temperature sensor. The IMT is near the firewall. Yours looks to be a vacuum. Though I am skimming the manual to find what exactly. Mine is plugged on my 97 model. I would guess it has something to do with the purge valve

Thank you, I have no idea what most of those words mean, but I’ll look it up and check it out on the jeep this afternoon

I believe the item in the red circle is where the IAT sensor is located on later TJ models. See pics below:

View attachment 380419

1997 TJ IAT location...

View attachment 380420

2003 TJ IAT location...

View attachment 380421

Jeep bounced the location of the IAT around for years. Beginning in 2005, the IAT location moved to the throttle body intake tube. Check your 1998 to see if the IAT is located near the back of the intake between the throttle body and the fire wall. I am not certain of the location for your year.

Thanks!

Thank you, once I attach it to the diff, should I take the white cap off, or leave it on?

The white cap stays on. It is designed to fit loosely to allow the diff to vent through the breather hose, but to prohibit liquid and debris from entering the breather hose.

Great looking Jeep! Gunmetal is one of my favorite factory colors. I like the seat covers you have on it too. I haven't seen them before, what kind are they?

I am by no means a TJ expert like others on this forum are so take my advice with a grain of salt. That leak looks like it's probably a bad oil pan gasket. Shouldn't be too serious just check your oil level regularly and add oil when needed. Changing out that gasket isn't too hard but takes some time. If/when you do it wait until you need an oil change and while you're under there you might as well replace your rear main seal since those tend to go bad on TJs.

I'm not sure what that plug is on top of the manifold but if I remember correctly, there is a rubber cap on it on my buddy's '98. That other tube looks like the differential/axle vent tube. You may want to get under and see if there is a vent nozzle (is that what it's called? lol) without a tube attached. If so, that's probably what that tube is for. Again, I'm sure other people on this forum will be able to better answer your questions but I hope that helps a little.

Thank you! I’ll check that all out this afternoon. The covers are just some random ones I found on Amazon. Pretty cheap as well, but seem to be good quality. Here’s the link if you’re interested… https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08MBDCQ9Y/?tag=wranglerorg-20

View attachment 380419

1997 TJ IAT location...

View attachment 380420

2003 TJ IAT location...

View attachment 380421

Makes sense--I was seeing all sorts of locations for it when researching. I had posted the 98 location from my manual. Hang on...

Screenshot 2022-11-29 090411.png

And this afternoon, I installed some Dorman seat heaters. Everything is in except it doesnt work because I dont have the correct fuse tap. Hopefully I'll get that figured out pretty soon...

IMG_0028.jpg

IMG_0027.jpg

IMG_0026.jpg

IMG_5733.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Nickgsjeep
Austin,
Awesome pics! There is something pretty cool about getting your own TJ out in nature. Your jeep is looking great.

Did you ever get the open port capped on the intake that was concerning to you?

Austin,
Awesome pics! There is something pretty cool about getting your own TJ out in nature. Your jeep is looking great.

Did you ever get the open port capped on the intake that was concerning to you?

Thank you! I did get that capped. It didn’t really concern me, I just wasn’t sure what it was 🤷‍♂️

Thank you! I did get that capped. It didn’t really concern me, I just wasn’t sure what it was 🤷‍♂️

Cool. Even though it didn't really concern you, I think you are wise to pay attention to the details regarding your TJ. Treat it right and you will have years to enjoy it.

Keep updating your thread. It's fun to see what you are up to.