Australia's best?

Nitrobrent

20201222_175558.jpg

At least once a year, mates make the 10+ hour trip down to us to wheel for a couple of weeks.
Bush camping , fixing everything on the go.
Whether it be blown steering boxes , radiator , tyres ,axles ,panhards, everyone gets to drive home.
This last trip got totally mixed up because of 6" of rain the second day and moving covid hotspots that had to be avoid , so the guys could get back across the border and home.

We picked the hardest tracks at our first stop to do before the rains set in.
20201222_180311.jpg

20201222_180502.jpg

20201222_181140.jpg

20201222_180706.jpg

The second day saw it rain all day , heavily.
About an hour into our day , we came across a couple who had sent the night stuck on a track , in a 2wd ute with a winch bar , with no winch.
I winched them up onto the track so we could pass.
Eric in his 37"portaled Landy beast dragged them out to the main fire trail.

20201222_181410.jpg

I struggled to bring myself to take my Jeep out that morning, the smallest tyres In the group , I never go out if its wet.
But I couldn't exactly take them to the cinema for the day.
20201222_181459.jpg
20201222_181439.jpg

20201222_181330.jpg

I was actually blown away with the tracks that we got done.
I think me , having first go on the washed sandstone was definitely to my advantage.
20201222_182321.jpg

The next day we packed up , the lads headed off to do some wheeling , I took all their wet stuff home , washed and dried everything and met them at lunchtime and wheeled until dark.
Eric had blown a tyre the first day , his on the go inflation system didn't tell him it was going flat , and drove on it until it was stuffed.
Day 3 , as we stopped to air up , he did a sidewall on his spare.
He had been trying all day to order a 37x12.5 x17.
Nobody had stock.
I contacted a friend , we could have 4 borderline legal ones for $50.
So I took the lads home , jumped in my van and drove Eric an hour and a half to pick them up.
Got home at 11pm.
I cooked him a pizza and left him with the tyre lovers to change 2 tyres.
We we up at 5am and off 3 hours to our next spot.

20200728_115155.jpg
20200728_115255.jpg
20201222_185251.jpg

This day saw alot of slipping and sliding.
The highlight of the day being when 2 of the guys checked into their room , to find a double bed , not 2 singles😂
The next day saw blue skies , and alot of water in the river.
Only one of us had a snorkel
20201222_185931.jpg
20201222_185848.jpg
20201222_185419.jpg

That night we camped at the Woolshed , a club room for a WW2 Jeeper club.
The next day we were off to Mt Airly , my favourite spot to wheel , not overly hard , but stunning scenery.
We drove the track , I then showed the lads some new caves and canyons I had found since the last time they visited.
20201222_190608.jpg

20201222_191413.jpg

20201222_190643.jpg
20201222_190300.jpg
20201222_190215.jpg
20201222_190744.jpg
20201222_190810.jpg

I drive 4 hours probably 4 times a year to come to this place.
National Parks are trying to shut us out.
I want my ashes scattered here.
Never tire of the beauty of the place
received_2707958015999770.jpeg
102279764_10158560797406907_7699663444844843151_n.jpg
20171229_111139.jpg

20180111_192905.jpg

20190308_151840.jpg
20190309_104726.jpg
20190309_105555.jpg

Awesome trip, and equally awesome photos. Thanks!

Australia is definitely on my bucket list as my brother lives in New South Wales. But with the quarantine nonsense, It'll have to wait until the covid mess is sorted out.

I will have to put Mt. Airly on my list of places to see!

Reactions: Nitrobrent
I'm not understanding this border business. What borders and why are they closed?
My brother, who immigrated there in 1993, tells me that the state borders are closed. And to go from state to state you have to quarantine two weeks to to cross.

Same story to come into the country, a two week quarantine. Don't know how it works for him to come home, but I believe there is some type of quarantine in place to come into the US as well.

I'm not understanding this border business. What borders and why are they closed?
Australia is broken up into 8 states and territories.
Originally, it is just a sign and a line on a map.
But with covid , each were run differently, to try and keep themselves covid free and stop the influx of infected people.
Borders had barricades with police controlling entry.
The recent outbreak in Sydney has put all surrounding border checks back on .Hot spots are created on maps.
If you have been there you have to quarantine for 2 weeks at a cost of $3000.
They created an app , it tracks you.
Apparently so if there is an outbreak , you can be notified.
They created it when the whole country was in lockdown.
And so many million had to be download before they would let us out to play.
During lockdown , the shelves at the supermarkets were stripped.
Asian gangs were stockpiling toilet paper , sending mini buses to small country towns and clearing shelves and selling it , hand cleanser and face masks on Ebay at highly inflated prices.
The first plane that came in from Wuhan , they stupidly let the crew go to a hotel without being tested or quarantined. It was back loaded with masks ,etc.

Awesome trip, and equally awesome photos. Thanks!

Australia is definitely on my bucket list as my brother lives in New South Wales. But with the quarantine nonsense, It'll have to wait until the covid mess is sorted out.

I will have to put Mt. Airly on my list of places to see!
A mate and I had a trip booked to do Moab and The Rubicon this year.so pissed that we couldn't do it.
The more I researched the trip , the more I feel in love with the scenery.
We were going to camp the whole time.
Airly has so much to offer.
I have been there at least 40 times , and each time find more.
There's a whole back story to the place.
In a nutshell , this old bloke and his sons use to do a bit of fossicking.
Opals, diamonds , rubies and gold.
They found this area on a plateau that could be accessed by scrambling up a steep narrow section.They built a flying fox to get gear up , powered by a motorbike motor.Read the letter in the link.
It fills alot of it in.
The opened up the area , putting in a road , to get thru one part , they had to blast alot of rock.
It is know has pass of many bangs.
National parks would have kittens if they had seen it being built.
They found a plant , right at the end of the plateau, that isn't found anywhere else in the world.
They put in ladders and handrails so the public could enjoy it.
They had a 99 year lease on the area.They said that 4wders would always have access.
Col , on of the sons , was the guardian of the area.
The road in went right past his front door.We always stopped , had a chat , dropped him off some veges or fruit.
He had old airplanes the kids could play in.
He wouldn't let you in if alot of rain was predicted , or it was wet.
So National parks 10 years ago took an interest in the area.
Why, only they know that.
Facts , There is a Coal mine that was edging towards the area.
They were trying to take the area over.
Col spent alot of money fighting them in court.
He sold the mining company and rights.
The company that bought it , brought in all their multi million dollar equipment.They couldn't make it viable.
The told Col he had sold them a dud.
He bet them $100,000 that if he bought his antique contraptions back , he could get so many ounces a ton.They said , no way , our hitech equipment couldn't get anywhere near that, deal.
He got their $100,000 too.
And they left.
One meeting with National parks minister, in his old bus, that he was doing up to tour Australia.
They were talking about the Wollemi pine that had been discovered. The find of the century.
Col said why , its terrible, when you put a chainsaw into it , it gums up the chain until it stops , a bit like a palm tree, she spat her tea across the table.
Anyway , Col was getting on , whilst he enjoyed the fight with the greenies , he wanted to travel in his golden years and put it all behind him.
So , with the promise the 4wders would always have access, he did a deal with The Conservation dept.
They took over .Drilling rigs came in , roads were upgraded to get them in.
Core holes were bored.
Conservation dept borders were realigned.
Guess what , contract null and void, now under a different office.
National parks got their hands on it.
Gates went up.
Cameras went in.
Col wanted to take them to court.
The rare plants at the end , say there were 12, under National parks care , 4 died.
They blamed 4wders running them over.
They put up a fence 1 mile away , still they lost them.
They put up cameras, we were in drought, the kangaroos were eating them.
Airly coal was given a 20 year extension that would have them mining right under the area.
Next door is a old shake mining village , lots of stone houses ,stoned up fronts on over hanging rocks where people lived.
Its National park.They have come under there mining the coal , heading towards Cols old area.
Recently , a landslide had huge rocks fall across the road thru the village.
Gate goes up well back. Effectively locking us out of the area.
I went for a walk up the mountain behind it.Its a very steep 20 minute slog to get up on top of it.
It is scattered with datums every 2 or 3 metres.
I found prisms , and could see lasers under shelters way in the distance on top of pagodas.
There's obviously a lot of movement from the mining that they are monitoring.
Who gets the royalty per ton from the coal?
Our 4wd association's fighting to keep Airly open.
Apparently the paperwork is done to shut it , but they cant convince the minister to sign it just yet.
Their main angle is safety.
The track is up to their standard , and they came up with a figure in the millions to get it there.
The association got a figure of $120,000 , which they many pay for themselves, if there is a guarantee for access.
Of course, we love it the way it is , selfish as that maybe.
Personally, I think they want nobody seeing what happens when they are mining under it.

Let me know if your coming over, more than happy to share what I can of the area

http://www.airlydiamond.com/media-releases.html
Screenshot_20200601-221831_YouTube.jpg
20200605_150137.jpg
Screenshot_20200601-221814_YouTube.jpg

20150423_222844.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Modoc Guy
One of these days I really want to make a trip down under. But I don't want to come to see all the normal stuff. I want to visit for a month and spend most of it in the outback. It'd be awesome IMO.