Auto Custom Carpet

I finally received the samples from Stock Interiors. I included the Medium Beige from ACC at the lower right, which is the closest match that I have found to my OE Camel carpet.

The medium beige from both companies is very similar. Based off of the samples that they sent (which is all that I can go by), ACC edges out SI for quality.

View attachment 61933 View attachment 61934

I priced each as full replacement, added mass backing, and rocker panels.

Stock Interiors came out to $478 ($87.10 of that was shipping.

ACC through RockAuto came out to $374.46 ($13.99 of that was shipping).

I hope this helps anyone else that may be looking for replacement carpet.

Do you have an update for us? Hopefully the answer is yes and there are pics to follow.

Who did you contact for samples? ACC directly or Rockauto? I'm looking to replace my carpet with ACC - Dk Slate. But it would be great to see a sample beforehand.

EDIT - Found it on ACC's website. I also ordered 4 samples of the Essex. And a sample of Cutpile. Just to see the difference. They do offer alot more colors in Cutpile. But it's not as thick as Essex.

Last edited:
Reactions: Serbonze
Hi all — this is a super helpful thread. Thank you Serbonze for the photos of all the sample swatches you collected as well as figuring out who had the best price. Clearly ACC is the carpet to get and RockAuto is the place to get it.

Have you had a chance to drop that new carpet into place yet? Like you, I'm looking for a TAN carpet (not black, not charcoal, and definitely not bed liner) to match the unique 97-02 Sahara interior. I originally wanted to get a whole bunch of samples from ACC, but it appears that RockAuto and other online merchants only sell the ACC Wrangler carpet set in 9 different colors:

4640 Dark Saddle
7103 Agate
7701 Graphite
801 Black
807 Dark Gray
8384 Desert Tan
897 Charcoal
912 Ebony
9777 Medium Beige

ACC's website offers cutpile carpet in almost 100 different colors, but I guess anything other than these 9 colors would be a special order. The special order price difference is steep: $236.79 plus shipping on RockAuto for the standard colors vs. $514.79 on the ACC website. (Both are complete sets, cutpile, long console, with rocker panels, no mass backing.)

So I guess at this point we're limited to either the Dark Saddle, Desert Tan, or Medium Beige. No photos online of anyone using any of these products, so I'm just anxious to see your results. Good luck!

Reactions: Serbonze
I have not done anything since the last update. Some day I’ll get around to ordering the new carpet, I’ve just had other things take precedence.

Based on part numbers the StockInteriors carpet is made by ACC. RockAuto beats StockInteriors by $123 delivered. I bought the Essex mass backed kit through RockAuto and the quality is head and shoulders above Bed Rug and OEM Mopar.

I'm preparing to order the ACC carpet from RockAuto. Was curious if you purchased a pad or anything to lay under it or is the mass backing good enough to be better than OEM.

I'm preparing to order the ACC carpet from RockAuto. Was curious if you purchased a pad or anything to lay under it or is the mass backing good enough to be better than OEM.

The Essex with mass backing makes the OEM look and feel like astro turf. IMO additional padding isn't needed. I can't speak to ACC's "regular" carpet. I will caution you to add some heat barrier (think foil backed bubble wrap) between the mass backing and the trans tunnel. My LJ got hot enough to slightly (not through to the carpet) melt the mass backing in a couple of places. It wasn't offered when i bought my carpet but ACC now has a kit cut like OEM for easy R&R.

Last edited:
Reactions: psrivats and Capt'n
The Essex with mass backing makes the OEM look and feel like astro turf. IMO additional padding isn't needed. I can't speak to ACC's "regular" carpet. I will caution you to add some heat barrier (think foil backed bubble wrap) between the mass backing and the trans tunnel. My LJ got hot enough to slightly (not through to the carpet) melt the mass backing in a couple of places. It wasn't offered when i bought my carpet but ACC now has a kit cut like OEM for easy R&R.
Interesting. Note to self: Avoid the dreaded TJ melt down! I appreciate the tip as inwas wondering about tge need for such heat insulation. Ill add space shuttle tiles to my flooring needs. Ha!

Reactions: L J
I’m going to pull the trigger in the next week or two. Not sure if I should go with mass backing.

Any thoughts on laying the Essex on top of the OEM? Or is that just a ridiculously bad idea?

I’m going to pull the trigger in the next week or two. Not sure if I should go with mass backing.

Any thoughts on laying the Essex on top of the OEM? Or is that just a ridiculously bad idea?

too thick

I priced each as full replacement, added mass backing, and rocker panels.

Stock Interiors came out to $478 ($87.10 of that was shipping.

ACC through RockAuto came out to $374.46 ($13.99 of that was shipping).

I hope this helps anyone else that may be looking for replacement carpet.

ACC via RockAuto doesn't seem to offer a complete set with mass backing. You have to piece it together (passenger area + cargo area + rocker panels) and it comes to $417.95 with shipping — at least as far as I can see on my end.

But one way you can cut down on the total cost is to not order the mass backing, which at SI costs $104 and at ACC will add over $150 to your cost!

Here are the prices of the two options if you just choose complete kit (long console) with rocker panels with NO mass backing:

Stock Interiors: $241.95 complete kit + $59.95 (rocker panels) + $67.90 shipping + tax = $369.80
ACC via RockAuto: $236.79 complete kit (rocker panels included) + $14.99 shipping + tax = $266.58

Then instead of the 40 mil mass backing that apparently will melt if you don't add another layer under it, you could put down a 170 mil waterproof sound & heat insulation layer such as this $50 one from Noico:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FYLM47D/?tag=wranglerorg-20

So this backing is 1/2 to 1/3 the cost and theoretically a lot better than the mass backing at thermal- and sound-proofing. The downside of this option is that the Noico product has a strong adhesive that more or less permanently attaches to your floor. You're not going to be able to pull it up to rinse out or rust-proof your tub later. It also takes some cutting and fitting to install, unlike the mass backing which is precut and attached to the carpeting. You probably will have to remove the seats to do the Noico layer whereas you probably can install the mass-backed carpet without taking out the seats.

Hope this info is helpful!

Reactions: Jeep 541X
Yes, there are three pieces that you need to order through RockAuto.

I just took the part numbers that I have saved and entered them in again. It came out to $392.36 shipped to my house, so the price increased by a few dollars.

That includes the mass backing.

Yes, there are three pieces that you need to order through RockAuto.

I just took the part numbers that I have saved and entered them in again. It came out to $392.36 shipped to my house, so the price increased by a few dollars.

That includes the mass backing.

I got mine without the mass backing. Just arrived this past week. I have not opened it yet. When I ordered mine the complete set with mass backing was more like $500 and it came up under the one without the mass backing. Weird. Had I known it was only another $40 or less. I might have gone in that direction. But I'm putting down a layer of Second skin sound deadener and foil backed auto insulation on top of that. Fortunately the ACC comes with extra carpet around the edges. So it can be cut to fit. I'd imagine all the stuff I'm putting under it will use up most if not all of the carpet. So I doubt if the mass backing would have fit too.

I'm going with the sound deadener and sound/heat/cold insulation to better buffer the inside of my Jeep from the outside and the reverberations on the metal pan. I think the mass backing will help with buffering outside noise. But it won't do anything for sounds reverberating from the metal pan. But then you have, like you mention, the ease of removing it to get rid of water or mud. I don't take mine out mudding or anyplace where water is going to pile up inside. So I don't have those same needs.

This might not look like the premier site to buy auto insulation. But it is. http://www.carinsulation.com/ It's the best stuff you can buy for a heat barrier. And it also is a sound barrier as well. USed widely in the hot rod industry. It used to be called auto insulation by Lubocrud. But has since been bought out by the site above. Look at the specs. It's pretty amazing stuff. It takes a very small amount to do a Jeep pan. Be sure to get the aluminum tape with it. And use 3m Adhesive to get it to lay down. The nice thing about this stuff is, although it's thick, it's very lightweight. You won't be adding any appreciable weight like with the sound deadener. So it's great to use in combination with sound deadener or even by itself. If all you need is a heat barrier.

I don't know the specs on Home Depot aluminum backed insulation. You might be able to do a similar thing with it and aluminum tape.

But here's the specs for the stuff from carinsulation.com:

Features & Specifications:
Reduces unwanted sound & most vibrations
Effectively blocks 97% of radiant heat transfer
Keeps your interior cooler in the Summer & warmer in the Winter
Extremely light-weight, flexible, & crush resistant
Creates a mold & mildew resistant vapor barrier
Non-toxic & fragrance free (Will not smell)
Very easy to cut, handle, & install

Nominal Thickness: 1/4"
Temperature Rating: 200 Degrees nominal
Core Material: Polyethylene closed cell foam core
Minimum Installed R-Value: 1+ (Varies depending on installation & vehicle)
Outer Material: 99.4% pure polished aluminum reinforced facing
Double Sided: Yes (Aluminum on both sides)
Mildew & Mold Resistant: Yes
Weight: 0.04lbs per Sq. Ft.
Water Resistant: Yes
Adhesive backing: No
Non-toxic: Yes

roll2.jpg

carinsulationmini2.jpg

Reactions: Jeep 541X
The downside of this option is that the Noico product has a strong adhesive that more or less permanently attaches to your floor.

IMO, that's more of a deal-killer than a downside. I want to be able to pull the carpet and heat barrier out.

It's the best stuff you can buy for a heat barrier.

I bought a similar product. ESP Low-E EZ-Cool Car Insulation Kit at $35 for 40 sq.ft.

IMO, that's more of a deal-killer than a downside. I want to be able to pull the carpet and heat barrier out.

I bought a similar product. ESP Low-E EZ-Cool Car Insulation Kit at $35 for 40 sq.ft.

EZ Cool was the name of the Lubocrud car insulation before it was sold to carinsulation.com. Not sure it's the same stuff. But same name.

EZ Cool was the name of the Lubocrud car insulation before it was sold to carinsulation.com. Not sure it's the same stuff. But same name.

From the specs and appearance it looks to be the same. It has worked for my intended purposes.

From the specs and appearance it looks to be the same. It has worked for my intended purposes.

It's pretty great stuff. Mine came with aluminum tape. Not sure if I paid extra for that or not. I bought mine a few years ago for a VW project. And am just getting around to using it on my Jeep.

I have read reviews that say that it's better to buy this stuff in panels than in rolls — it's a lot easier to work with. Just FWIW.

Also, one other thought: if the adhesive is too strong, I guess you could flip it upside down and attach it to the underside of your carpeting instead of the floor. Then you'd be able to pull up the carpeting and insulation in one swoop anytime you'd like. I guess this is sort of the "make your own mass backing" solution.

Have you thought about the Bed Tred vs Bed Rug? It would still be black, but would be way easier to clean dog hair from. I have the tan interior and the Bed Tred looks great. I did switch to black seats though, but even with the original tan it looked good.

View attachment 57908

View attachment 57909

I am just about to redo the carpeting and adding a heat insulation layer underneath on mine. Really happy to see your photos here of this interior with black carpet. Did you also add carpet to the rear wheel wells? If so, would you be willing to send a photo of that?