Auto part store brake calipers / rotors / pads

S.McArthur

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
One of my calipers locked up, I'm replacing everything. I am not going with BMB since I'll be swapping a new axle and will source those parts later. I just need something to get to that point. O'reillys brake best stuff is cheap and available, I was going to order centric parts through rockauto, but the shipping/tax kind of bump the price up and I haven't justified that for a 6 month "fix".
Any concerns with the box store calipers?

I've used several Autozone house brand calipers without issues on other cars. They are indistinguishable from stock. I would trust the Oreilly calipers as well.

Make sure you don't overtighten the bleed screws. I have already sheared off 3 bleed screws after a shop cranked them incredibly tight and they then rusted in place. (Managed to snap off a couple retrieval tools in them as well.)

Make sure you do a thorough flush, ideally on all calipers, before you install the new ones. Otherwise the crap in your lines may seize the new calipers. This is a very common issue.

I replaced my calipers with NAPA stuff several months ago and haven't had any problems at all. They were fully painted, so I'm not worried about rust or anything. I also replaced the brake hoses because I suspected the inner lining was degrading. I highly suggest you consider replacing the hoses at the same time, if not just for peace of mind. When you do, make sure to use a flare nut wrench and be careful not to twist the hardlines.

Reactions: S.McArthur
crap in your lines
Pretty sure that's how it happened, I was doing something and took the calipers off. Rushed the job and just pushed the pistons back. I had flushed the lines when I swapped my rear axle, can't remember if I took the time to do the fronts though.

I threw some NAPA components on last fall, she still stops.

I ran advance auto stuff on my previous rear axle before the swap. No problems and the distribution center is close to my house so I never have to wait. Also their normal 20% off on web orders is handy.

How about some Cardone brake parts? I hear good things about Cardone from @mrblaine
:ROFLMAO: :LOL:
Well, I had no intention of bringing him into a bs brake question. The choices were BrakeBest or Wagner, I figured they couldn't be terrible pads/rotors, I do wonder where the re-man O'reilly calipers come from.

Most any parts store brake systems are fine for daily driving. Even moderate offroading. It's when you add a lot of weight or large tires that brakes need some help.
The most important thing is to completely flush out the entire brake lines front to back. The dirt and crud in old fluid can lock up your new calipers in just a few miles.

Pretty sure that's how it happened, I was doing something and took the calipers off. Rushed the job and just pushed the pistons back. I had flushed the lines when I swapped my rear axle, can't remember if I took the time to do the fronts though.
You may already know this, but a flush is more than just a bleed. A bleed is used to get the air out of the lines. A flush is used to replace all of the fluid in the brake system. A bleed will still put old fluid in the calipers, which can cause them to seize.

Well, I had no intention of bringing him into a bs brake question. The choices were BrakeBest or Wagner, I figured they couldn't be terrible pads/rotors, I do wonder where the re-man O'reilly calipers come from.

Honestly, I was just trolling him for some good humor. I always like hearing him talk about Cardone parts 🤣

No worries, I didn’t mean for my response to sound dickish if it came out that way.

Oh no, I didn't take it that way.

And honestly, in your situation I would just go to Autozone and buy some of their pads.

To be totally honest, I used them last time I did the brakes on our Honda Odyssey. I put their Duralast pads and rotors on it, and they have been doing just fine so far, and I've put at least 5k miles on them.

No doubt the BMB setup is better, but if you just want something that will do the trick in the meantime, the Autozone brake stuff has worked for me.

I recently did front pads and rotors from Oreilly on our 2003 Honda Pilot. I bought from their 'premium line' because it was on sale at the time, and the manager told me they were made by Wagner. I don't know if that's true, but they have been just fine so far. The premium pads come with brake grease which saved me a few bucks buying one of their tiny packs for $$$.

I have noticed that the premium line of brake pads usually means that they are metallic. I would guess that the metallic compound will wear out your brake rotors prematurely. The brake pads are the cheaper component to replace here.

Reactions: Chris