I like the manual more than the auto. I feel like I'm more involved with the car. And it helps keep me off my phone, but in traffic it's kind of a pain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I personally prefer the auto because I am in an area where there is constant traffic and city driving.

Also, in off road situations I prefer the auto because I don't have to focus on shifting.

However, with my sports cars I always prefer a manual.

Reactions: Serbonze
I personally prefer the auto because I am in an area where there is constant traffic and city driving.

Also, in off road situations I prefer the auto because I don't have to focus on shifting.

However, with my sports cars I always prefer a manual.

My TJ is my sports car. It is also my truck when hooked up to my utility trailer. It's also my ATV. Just saying, my TJ wears many hats.

Reactions: StG58 and Chris
The first car I drove in 1964 was a stick, and I've owned many since.... especially sports cars like my TR-6, BMW, Datsun 1600 Roadster and even a Volvo... all sticks. Drove sticks in the military. So with driving over 50 years with manual (and automatic) transmissions, I bought my first Wrangler TJ. It had to be a stick, because I wanted it to be a great offroad vehicle. It wasn't long before the TJ started doing more rock crawling than anything... gentle then tougher. Trails eventually got so tough I was regularly forced to smoke the clutch. This pic is of my first TJ doing the Gatekeeper in Doran Canyon near Calico Ghost Town by Barstow Calif. That cloud around my TJ is not dust, it's smoke from the clutch.

Jerry_up_in_smoke.JPG

It was on a rookie run on a particularly tough trail called Sledgehammer in Johnson Valley CA where I believe I was the only one in the group of more experienced wheelers with a stick shift Jeep. Everyone else had an automatic. It was a tough day where I felt like a beginner with a stick working hard to keep the engine from stalling and driving up & back on the same obstacle trying different lines. That's when I noticed the smoothness and better control (yes) the others had on the same obstacles with their automatics. Mrblaine was there with me that day, spotting me over the tougher obstacles.

It wasn't long after reading up on automatics and their 2-3X better low-end torque advantage that I figured out I wanted one. Then out of the blue, Mrblaine let me know of a complete used 32RH automatic with all the parts needed to install it. It took a weekend for a friend and I to get it installed.

Converting to that automatic was the best upgrade I ever did to my TJ, it did as much for its offroad abilities as the front & rear lockers I had installed years earlier. There was a night and day difference/improvement offroad for the tougher trails. Obstacles I had to winch up & over multiple years with the previous 5-speed manual transmission I was able to scoot up unassisted with the automatic, with the same 35" tires and 4.88 gearing... due in part to its increased low-end torque from the automatic's torque converter.

For me, I'd only buy a stick for a sports car. If I won the lottery & bought a Porsche, it'd have a manual transmission. But for the Jeep, I'm done with sticks... automatics for me now, I learned my lesson. And when the Jeep was stolen I had converted to the automatic was stolen, I made sure its replacement was an automatic. There are benefits that are hard to describe to anyone who hasn't crawled a particularly tough trail in 4Lo with an automatic.

Like the automatic's infinitely low first gear ratio as enabled by the torque converter. That means you can creep at any low speed you want without killing the engine. .01 mph? No problem. Pay no attention to the 1st gear ratio comparisons between an automatic and a stick. That ratio is a hard-fixed ratio with a manual transmission, not so with the automatic's torque converter making the first gear ratio into whatever you need it to be.

Need to back down a steep obstacle to try a different line? Think about what you'd have to do with the manual transmission. Stomping on the clutch & brake, needing 3 feet to work the pedals. With the automatic, you just let off on the gas to roll back & then just give it more gas again. You can maintain a position just with the gas pedal, no need to step on the clutch & brake. And many more benefits that only become apparent on a very tough trail.

Not to mention the winners of the past four years of EMC class in the King of the Hammers race/rock crawling event were all running automatics.

Last edited:
Having only driven an auto off road before, and now having a 6spd Rubi, I can say I'm enjoying the manual off road.

Tomorrow will be the first good test though. The times I've had it out, they were very simple trails. The run tomorrow is pretty technical, with steep climbs, really off camber spots, and twisty rocky sections. I think the 4:1 t-case will be nice in those areas.

On road driving is a major hands down winner for the manual though.

Reactions: Chris
Even though automatics are better 90% of the time, I could never see myself putting an automatic in my TJ. The manual is just one of those things that makes my jeep fun. I'm sure doing those insanely hard trails is fun, but I'd rather have to winch or do slightly easier trails than have to put an auto in my jeep. For what I do now, the manual does just fine. So my vote goes to stick shift, even though it might not be as good.

Reactions: Chris
Even though automatics are better 90% of the time, I could never see myself putting an automatic in my TJ. The manual is just one of those things that makes my jeep fun. I'm sure doing those insanely hard trails is fun, but I'd rather have to winch or do slightly easier trails than have to put an auto in my jeep. For what I do now, the manual does just fine. So my vote goes to stick shift, even though it might not be as good.
I've built many rigs for folks both manual and auto. The only difference in capability for the recreational wheeler is how much you have to spend to get them both equally capable on the trail.

A few counterpoints to the racing stuff. Although many of the winners do have automatics, the same transmission is also responsible for keeping many past winners from finishing the race. Shannon Campbell has had many issues keeping the autos alive behind his high horsepower engines and aggressive driving style. OTOH, the Big Ugly Team has broken so many parts with the manual transmission they tried to run for years that they finally switched to an auto.

I prefer the auto, but I can build either to do high difficulty recreational stuff with no issue. It just costs more to do the manual.

Don't let Jerry totally pull one over on you. I know for a fact he would trade his rig straight across for Jon Jonsson's Viking rig I built with a manual in it. ;)

Reactions: StG58
I've got a buddy that recently got his first Wrangler (TJ). When he was shopping, he said he didn't care whether it was an auto or manual. He has a C6 Z06, and I understand a manual in that case. Since off roading almost every weekend in the past couple of months, he has changed his tune. He really wishes he would have gotten an auto.

Well after the run today, I can say that I much preferred having a manual. I felt much more in control, and it was honestly more enjoyable wheeling.

Last summer in the mountains I loved my auto but it seemed like it would have been nice if it had a paddle shifter at times:D I prefer manuals =-especially in my past sports cars for the fun factor but even in them autotrans will beat you off the line even if you are perfect in shift. That said though- I do not want a manual in my work truck or Jeep.

Mine is auto. I had a Sonoma that was manual and it just got to be a pain in the ass to me. I'm glad i found an automatic. Its a much "easier" ride.

The drive overall. Using lower gears going down grades, and the same for crawling up over stuff.
As you increase your experience and trail difficulties, you will encounter an uphill situation with the right front turned hard left and against a hard spot. At that point, continuing forward progress will cause the left front to rise in such a manner that you feel like it will flip over.

When that happens and it is very common of the higher level trails, you will no longer feel in control of anything.

The easy way out is to ease into the throttle, light touch on the brake, while turning right (not the way you need to go) just enough to bring the left side down, turn it back to the left when it starts to drop, and do this all the while you are riding the line between throttle, brake, tipping over, and forward progress. Being able to achieve that balance while still moving forward is absolute control of the vehicle and not what gear it is in. ;)

I absolutely love the manual in my CJ but I'm also very willing to admit that the reasons are probably more and more silly.... I like the fact that they (manuals) are getting harder and harder to find, I'm not going to let the government tell me what I can/can't drive, I've hit the age in my life where I'm stating things like "back in my day blah blah blah," etc.

To @mrblaine's point though, the only reason I can tackle the toughest of obstacles in Moab even remotely as easily as my automatic based buddies is through brake line locks and a throttle handle. Heel/toe brake/throttle maneuvers work fine on rally cars but are a lot harder to pull off while staring at a cliff.